XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Supercharger Rattle?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2020, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Originally Posted by carzaddict
my car makes a clonk at shut down, 29k miles on it.

what happens if i let it go too long? whats the worst that happens? supercharger fails? expensive repair?
From what I have read it's rare for a worn coupler to cause serious damage but it can happen if you let it go for tens of thousands of miles after it starts clonking.
There also seems to be no rhyme or reason as to when (mileage) the wear gets to the point of a rattle and a clonk, my V6 rattled and clonked from the day I got it with only some 18,000 miles on the clock and others have had their SC V6s and V8s go for up to 100,000 miles with no rattle or clonk.

Old 05-29-2020, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,408 Likes on 1,894 Posts

Agree with OzXFR. It's a problem but not a serious one. We have seen the metal shaft get worn as the coupler gets worse but even then it does not seem to cause any issues.
I have a new snout waiting in the wings for my 2014 XJR (42K miles) but the shut down clonk is minor and when I pulled the SC belt to check it further there was some play back and forth.
I can cause the clonk by hand when the belt is off.

Old 06-04-2020, 11:28 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Zereldo
Hey Jason, I'm dealing with the same issue. Same exact rattle upon engine shutdown. My car is a 2015 3.0 AWD, and my home dealership in Toronto agreed that the supercharger needs to be replaced, though they wont cover the cost nor will the CPO warranty - reason? JLR North America: The vehicle is too new with too little mileage (65k KMs) to warrant changing a part that should not jave gone bad, despite showing a complete and up to date service history.

Did you end up getting your supercharger unit replaced? If so, was it covered under your factory or CPO warranty?

Let me know!

​​​​​​​Sorry! Havent logged onto this website forever. Hope you got it all fixed, but thats an absurd reason. If its a similar noise, they usually will try to replace the isolator kit. If not, use the power of social media and call their HQ (I messaged through their twitter account lol) and they called back and settled replacing it with another dealership I was going to.

Old 06-04-2020, 11:38 PM

see below for my service invoice indicating the issue and that its covered under warranty which hopefully youre able to use to help your situation

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Repair - SC 2013 XF - .pdf (719.8 KB, 79 views)
Old 06-05-2020, 12:02 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jasin Dhaliwal
see below for my service invoice indicating the issue and that its covered under warranty which hopefully youre able to use to help your situation
8 months of going back and forth with Jaguar North America. First agent offered 30% coverage, second agent offered ~60%. I ended up paying out of pocket and the noise is still there. I feel annoyed more than anything, both the dealership and 4 different people I spoke to from Jaguar customer service were adamant that my repair was based on bad noise and not failure of part(s) affecting functionality.

The fact the sound is still there could perhaps be a different issue altogether? I had the car taken back again, and this time the master technician said that all intake make a sound after shutting off. So what did I pay to replace if the same exact sound is there? Before it was the supercharger coupler which required a new unit, but now it's the "normal " sound it's meant to make.

At what end does one argue with the master tech, the service manager, the customer service reps. Absolutely no communication b/w dealership and customer service, the dealer simply said it's not covered under warranty and that was set in stone. I asked the service manager for a copy of the document that lists the parts that are covered and even though supercharger is part of the CPO coverage list posted on Jaguar's website, I was told the list they have is more detailed with additional criterias that cant be shared with a customer.

I ended up biting the bullet and had it "fixed", since the car was running out of warranty and I took 60% coverage over nothing. The service lady even argued that given she were to make it 100%, and if the part were to fail again, I would have nothing to fall back on, so the fact I'm paying grants me 1 year warranty on this part. Okay. That made absolutely no sense, it was like talking to a scripted bot.

Jaguar customer service, starting from the dealership (car had several issues, cosmetically and mechanically prior to purchase. I didnt notice them during initial walkthrough and delivery and I had to get all of that sorted while taking blame for being the culprit) dealing with warranty work has all been a nightmare (one example: rear camera intermittently stops working with a message "camera unavailable, contact the dealership" appears. I took a picture of it and showed it to the tech, they kept the car for two days, the problem did not show up and the refused to cover the repair under warranty simply because they were unable to replicate the issue despite providing documented proof) and I really hope this was an isolated case with me being unlucky to have dealt with this particular dealership.

Thanks a bunch for posting the service record, hopefully it helps others.

Last edited by Zereldo; 06-05-2020 at 12:11 AM.
Old 06-05-2020, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by Zereldo
8 months of going back and forth with Jaguar North America. First agent offered 30% coverage, second agent offered ~60%. I ended up paying out of pocket and the noise is still there. I feel annoyed more than anything, both the dealership and 4 different people I spoke to from Jaguar customer service were adamant that my repair was based on bad noise and not failure of part(s) affecting functionality.

The fact the sound is still there could perhaps be a different issue altogether? I had the car taken back again, and this time the master technician said that all intake make a sound after shutting off. So what did I pay to replace if the same exact sound is there? Before it was the supercharger coupler which required a new unit, but now it's the "normal " sound it's meant to make.

At what end does one argue with the master tech, the service manager, the customer service reps. Absolutely no communication b/w dealership and customer service, the dealer simply said it's not covered under warranty and that was set in stone. I asked the service manager for a copy of the document that lists the parts that are covered and even though supercharger is part of the CPO coverage list posted on Jaguar's website, I was told the list they have is more detailed with additional criterias that cant be shared with a customer.

I ended up biting the bullet and had it "fixed", since the car was running out of warranty and I took 60% coverage over nothing. The service lady even argued that given she were to make it 100%, and if the part were to fail again, I would have nothing to fall back on, so the fact I'm paying grants me 1 year warranty on this part. Okay. That made absolutely no sense, it was like talking to a scripted bot.

Jaguar customer service, starting from the dealership (car had several issues, cosmetically and mechanically prior to purchase. I didnt notice them during initial walkthrough and delivery and I had to get all of that sorted while taking blame for being the culprit) dealing with warranty work has all been a nightmare (one example: rear camera intermittently stops working with a message "camera unavailable, contact the dealership" appears. I took a picture of it and showed it to the tech, they kept the car for two days, the problem did not show up and the refused to cover the repair under warranty simply because they were unable to replicate the issue despite providing documented proof) and I really hope this was an isolated case with me being unlucky to have dealt with this particular dealership.

Thanks a bunch for posting the service record, hopefully it helps others.
always never hurts to get a second opinion from an experienced Jag service shop. They were the ones that had told me actually when I went there for an oil change once. Jaguar is probably the first dealership that HATES working under warranty. I've owned Acura, Lexus, BMW and Audi, and each and every one have conducted repairs under warranty without arguing. Jaguar for some reason doesn't follow that, even though the dealership gets paid for warranty work.