XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Supercharger tensioner/coupler rattle

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 08:10 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'll look into the paperwork regarding warranty. When I had the CPO done, I made sure it is an extension to the Jaguar Factory warranty that is 4 year or 80,000 KM here in Canada. CPO extends the warranty by 2 years and up to 160,000 KM, past that, you can not get Jaguar extended or CPO warranty. Any extension that comes past that time frame is third party. So to clarify, the CPO warranty I have is extension of the manufacturer warranty, I'd never waste money on 3rd party coverages, that said, would JLR corporate even deal with me if the warranty was from a third party?

Update on the case with JLR: I spoke to Carol today, she said the same thing - Can't help you since you're already dealing with a representative, and if you decide to close and re-open the case, the same rep will be reassigned (Dont know why), I explained the whole ordeal and she submitted my claim as an "Escalation". I'm expecting a call back tomorrow.

Old 08-03-2019, 02:18 PM

Update:

Finally the owner of the dealership responded by saying "we have replaced parts in the past based on rattling sound they make; however, Jaguar never reimbursed us for it. We can't change any part unless it's completely broken/ has an affect on drivibility of the vehicle or an engine light lights up"

As it stands, I've been offered 60% discount VIA JLR, bringing the cost down to ~$1700.

I was also told that supercharger will eventually get louder and ultimately break but not any time soon. I'm planning on selling the car with 4 months of CPO warranty left on it. I'm already taking a significant loss on it as is, but feel the need to take the 60% offer and change the supercharger for the new owner as they may not realize the fault before the warranty is up or not be able to renegotiate the repair as I have due to veing a long term customer.

Any thoughts are welcome, and thank you everyone who took their time to read through my rant and offered suggestions and general help.

Cheers!

Old 09-03-2019, 10:49 AM
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Just caught this.

My dealer is awesome, so many times did a quick Diagnosis and did not charge a thing, so there's that.

My 2012 XFR went in to get the dashboard replaced for the leather shrinking issues under CPO (covered) . While I was talking to the service manager standing near the idling car he said he was hearing something in the super charger ( I asked him what I had not idea, never heard it or barely)

He had it taken back into the shop and they replaced the coupler no questions asked under original JRL CPO warranty (without me asking- car had 50K miles)

Now my 13 AWD 3.0 has the gravel sound in it and I KNOW what it sounds like, did not hear anything like that.

Side note, picked up a used entire 3.0 SC unit for 150 bucks today (44k) on it. I am going to replace the coupler, change the oil and install it if all the bearings check out. I will also look at it and see if it could benefit from porting and maybe try my hand on this one before installing.

I can get the paperwork for you so you can maybe hand it to JLR and ask why did they do this car and not mine. PM me if that will help.

The following users liked this post:
Zereldo (09-03-2019)
Old 09-03-2019, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Jssaab
Just caught this.

My dealer is awesome, so many times did a quick Diagnosis and did not charge a thing, so there's that.

My 2012 XFR went in to get the dashboard replaced for the leather shrinking issues under CPO (covered) . While I was talking to the service manager standing near the idling car he said he was hearing something in the super charger ( I asked him what I had not idea, never heard it or barely)

He had it taken back into the shop and they replaced the coupler no questions asked under original JRL CPO warranty (without me asking- car had 50K miles)

Now my 13 AWD 3.0 has the gravel sound in it and I KNOW what it sounds like, did not hear anything like that.

Side note, picked up a used entire 3.0 SC unit for 150 bucks today (44k) on it. I am going to replace the coupler, change the oil and install it if all the bearings check out. I will also look at it and see if it could benefit from porting and maybe try my hand on this one before installing.

I can get the paperwork for you so you can maybe hand it to JLR and ask why did they do this car and not mine. PM me if that will help.
Thanks for the response Jssaab, timing couldnt be more perfect. I have a service appointment tomorrow to fix the headlight washer unit, and diagnosing a noticeably loud engine noise in the cabin (sounds like a whistle) that may or may not be tied to the black soot (in excess amount) coming out of the exhaust on start-up.

I decided to wait on changing the Supercharger unit for the time being, in case it decides to fail completely in the next few months and I can have it changed for "free".

I appreciate the offer and I will definitely take you up on it, but I dont imagine the service manager will take that into consideration. Doesnt hurt to try and so I will

Thanks!

Old 09-03-2019, 06:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

im having the same issue, third party warranty giving me the run around because nothing has broken yet. they cant be certain if its the supercharger snout or timing chain...and want me to pay for more diangostic

Old 09-04-2019, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Zereldo
Thanks for the response Jssaab, timing couldnt be more perfect. I have a service appointment tomorrow to fix the headlight washer unit, and diagnosing a noticeably loud engine noise in the cabin (sounds like a whistle) that may or may not be tied to the black soot (in excess amount) coming out of the exhaust on start-up.

I decided to wait on changing the Supercharger unit for the time being, in case it decides to fail completely in the next few months and I can have it changed for "free".

I appreciate the offer and I will definitely take you up on it, but I dont imagine the service manager will take that into consideration. Doesnt hurt to try and so I will

Thanks!
Originally Posted by carzaddict
im having the same issue, third party warranty giving me the run around because nothing has broken yet. they cant be certain if its the supercharger snout or timing chain...and want me to pay for more diangostic
Th coupler has failed, you'd figure they'd want to get at it before the whole unit goes when the bearings fail, $65 part vs a whole unit for $3200

It's like saying a piston has gone but the car still moves ok...

Old 09-04-2019, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Zereldo

Thanks!
Originally Posted by carzaddict
Th coupler has failed, you'd figure they'd want to get at it before the whole unit goes when the bearings fail, $65 part vs a whole unit for $3200

It's like saying a piston has gone but the car still moves ok...

Old 09-05-2019, 08:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercharger rebuild

Hi guys... does anyone have a step by step manual or video on how to rebuild the supercharger on a 2013 jaguar xf? The shops want 3k for parts and labor so I decided to do it myself. I will gladly pay for it if anything. Better than paying 3k

Old 09-05-2019, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by UnderDawg
Hi guys... does anyone have a step by step manual or video on how to rebuild the supercharger on a 2013 jaguar xf? The shops want 3k for parts and labor so I decided to do it myself. I will gladly pay for it if anything. Better than paying 3k
What seems to be wrong? I get the impression talking with a couple of supercharger re-builders that rarely do they need a total rebuild. Usually its just the coupler, (70 bucks for a new solid Eaton Coulpler) A few shops offer re-build service if the coupler was bad for a while it maybe could use a snout rebuild ($250-300) and if the bearings are bad in the charger add another $750)

Then all you need to do is pull and replace.

Full rebuild kits are about $295 (bearings not rotor rebuild)

Of course you need to pull it (if that was included in your original costs)

check out qualitysuperchargers and thehighspeedlab.com both have ebay stores. I talked with both and they seem pretty knowledgeable

Last edited by Jssaab; 09-05-2019 at 04:29 PM.
Old 09-05-2019, 08:28 PM
Default Supercharger rebuild

Ty so much for your reply... yes I understand and I know where to get the parts just need instructions on how to do it. Step by step.. just scared to screw anything up

Old 09-06-2019, 03:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 409 Likes on 280 Posts

Me i would take legal advice and action on this

Old 03-31-2024, 07:34 PM
Default Supercharger isolator coupler

Hello, I am curious if any one has replaced the supercharger coupler themselves? Big job? Also thinking about doing SC pulley upgrade from Mina. Is it worth it? I cant seem to find any videos on the coupler replacement. Thank you

Old 03-31-2024, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,216 Likes on 2,371 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisO1971
Hello, I am curious if any one has replaced the supercharger coupler themselves? Big job? Also thinking about doing SC pulley upgrade from Mina. Is it worth it? I cant seem to find any videos on the coupler replacement. Thank you
Quite a few here across many sub-forums (XF, XJ, XK, F-Type, Range Rover etc) have DIY replaced the coupler.
There may or may not be a video here somewhere and bound to be at least one on the interwebz, just gotta keep searching until you find it/one!
It's a fairly big job as the whole supercharger has to come off to remove the snout and in turn to replace the coupler, so not a job for the unskilled and inexperienced shade tree mechanic.

Nansan21 (04-01-2024)
Old 03-31-2024, 07:55 PM

Thanks OzXFR it looks like a big job. I will keep looking on the web. Cheers

Old 03-31-2024, 08:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,216 Likes on 2,371 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisO1971
Thanks OzXFR it looks like a big job. I will keep looking on the web. Cheers
If you get a shop to replace the coupler you should get the coolant pipes/tubes, water pump and thermostat replaced "while you are in there".
Many do it the other way around - get the coolant pipes changed out and do the coupler as well.
You might like to consider replacing many of the problematic plastic coolant system pipes with metal versions, several sellers now including Euro Amp and RKX and Euro Amp do full kits.
If yours is an older engine, AJ133 V8 SC in particular, then it's a matter of when not if one or more of those crappy plastic pipes fails and leaks, and if you don't catch it straight away before the engine really overheats the engine is toast.

ChrisO1971 (04-01-2024)
Old 03-31-2024, 09:18 PM

I was thinking that i can smell a hint of coolant every so often. There is a shop near me that works specifically on euro cars probably best to take it to the pros.
Thank you Oz

Old 04-01-2024, 07:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,371 Likes on 1,869 Posts

Your not alone!
I swear everytime I get out of the car and open the hood while the engine is hot I also smell a hint of coolant?
I think it's a combination of hot rubber and plastic too?

Because I know I have no leaks and I am not losing coolant.

ChrisO1971 (04-01-2024)
Old 04-01-2024, 07:58 AM

Same here. It only takes a drop or two to give you the smell from past experiences with another vehicle. Mine is a 2013 xf with just over 75000 on it. Will be bringing it in soon will update when done.

Old 04-01-2024, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,371 Likes on 1,869 Posts

I watch the coolant level and all is well but that lingering smell......

ChrisO1971 (04-01-2024)
Old 04-01-2024, 08:21 PM
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
If you get a shop to replace the coupler you should get the coolant pipes/tubes, water pump and thermostat replaced "while you are in there".
Many do it the other way around - get the coolant pipes changed out and do the coupler as well.
You might like to consider replacing many of the problematic plastic coolant system pipes with metal versions, several sellers now including Euro Amp and RKX and Euro Amp do full kits.
If yours is an older engine, AJ133 V8 SC in particular, then it's a matter of when not if one or more of those crappy plastic pipes fails and leaks, and if you don't catch it straight away before the engine really overheats the engine is toast.
As OzXFR suggests, mine is currently at the garage getting all the suspect plastic pipes changed over to metal as preventative maintenence and also getting them to lookat SC coupler/bearings & changing the fluid in it whilst its off.

ChrisO1971 (04-01-2024)

Quick Reply: Supercharger tensioner/coupler rattle