XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Switch getting hot

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010 | 09:00 AM
|
Default Switch getting hot

Hi all
Just jumped ship from the x type.
I finally gave in and she now has a premium luxury.
Looking on the forum fuel economy seems to be an issue not sure after only three tanks.
But the one thing we have both noticed is the park switch gets really hot to the point that applying it is uncofmteble.
We had a short brake in the lakes and I ended up driving all the time (aren’t they kind)
A few times the mirrors did not open just did it on the button and the gear selector did not retract.
Not the end of the world just wounded if any one else has had the same problems.
As the dealer will no doubt tell me they have not experienced it before.

Thanks

Old 07-20-2010 | 08:03 PM
Veteran Member

I too left my X Type at my local dealer and drove off with a new XF (in 2009). I loved the X Type but the build quality was very poor and as a result I gave up after 30 months of driving a used 3.0 Sport 5 spd. Had the build quality been there right from the beginning Ford would have had a winner in the X Type. Crying shame they blew the numbers game (cheap nasty parts were the main reason for the X Type failures, and poor quality control in body assembly, mine was seriously rusty after only four years)

Many report the hot park brake switch on the XF. Mine has always done it on longer trips. This is claimed by Jaguar to be normal. Jaguar says it has to get really hot before they will look at fixing it. They even have a specific temperature limit!

Gear selector issues should have been fixed in new production as this has been a common fault. In Canada there is an official Jaguar recall for this fix. If yours needs this fix then your dealer will know about it. There has been a shortage of the fix kits in the UK so maybe your dealer "forgot" to mention it.

I just returned from a week in the lakes in Cumbria myself. Very beautiful and the hiking is superb. As my Jaguar is left hand drive and lives in Western Canada I had to make do with a new version Ford Focus Diesel in Cumbria. Excellent car. I saw a number of XF in the lakes while I was there. I preferred the much smaller (narrower!) Focus myself!

Old 07-22-2010 | 04:39 AM
|

Hi Jagular thanks for the reply

I know what you mean about the build quality no bits fell off.
The trouble with the rear sensor control and the thermostat housing but they where all sorted.
I know what you mean about rust in days gone buy I ran many a Jag and they never really got the paint right hence the rust.

I will have to get the wife to drop the car into the dealer.
We bought the XF from the same dealer the X type came from.
The service and the back up is very good she’s says I personally have never been.

Glad you enjoyed the Lake sorry about the weather hope you did not get to wet.
We stayed the Grasmere and drove all over looking at hotels for us for a classic car run/weekend in October.
So you will have probably seen the car as we did quite a lot of mileage.
Not really a holiday for us but we enjoyed it all the same.

I know what you mean about the narrow roads it also the hump back bridge’s with a long bonnet/hood is no fun either.
The focus will have been a blast on them roads.
Did you do any of the more challenging road passes in the hills?

Thanks Brendan

Old 07-22-2010 | 07:05 PM
Veteran Member

I did indeed. 2006 I did Hard Knot pass West to East in an earlier Ford Focus 1.6 petrol. Even that short bonnet obscured the road going over the top! My friends here do not believe that was actually a two way road!

Weather was great for us during that first week in June. Only one day of rain and one madman with a gun, not bad at all.

Old 07-23-2010 | 10:18 AM
|

Hi Jagular

I know what you mean hard knot many a good car/bike has met its end on that road.

We where going to have a run up there while saying in the Lakes last year an decided it mite be too much for the old classics.

And we did not want to be responsible for some one having an accident.

I guess it was a blast in the focus good chassis but the suspension lets the non sport model down.

Glad to hear the weather was kind to you.

It’s a long way for you to go to be stuck in doors.

Ho the taxi driver (the madman with a gun)

Last edited by jensen interceptor; 07-23-2010 at 11:25 AM.