XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

TATA beancounters are destroying Jaguar already

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 03:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,943 Likes on 7,190 Posts

Presumably Jaguar did some market research before shortening the warranty...which perhaps revealed it isn't really that much of an issue, particularly if many buyers intended to trade out in 3-5 years and/or are leasing the cars for a similarly short term.

Pure speculation on my part.

Cheers
DD

Old 09-11-2011, 04:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 261 Posts

Jaguar is a much more established manufacturer than BMW. When Jaguar was winning at Le Mans, BMW was building bubble cars under license from the Italians.....

Jaguar actually makes a better car than BMW at present, however, I concede that not as many people realize that as one might think.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,236 Likes on 943 Posts

i read that almost 50% of new Jaguars ,in Europe, are Diesels.

and they perform very well, with great MPG.

I ask why cant we buy a diesel in USA, whats that about,???

Old 09-11-2011, 09:46 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ronbros
i read that almost 50% of new Jaguars ,in Europe, are Diesels.

and they perform very well, with great MPG.

I ask why cant we buy a diesel in USA, whats that about,???
(1) The crappy diesels that were put out in response to the oil crisis of the 1970s turned most North Americans off of diesels.

(2) Our lower fuel prices didn't spur on the development of diesels.

(3) Until recently our diesel had a much higher sulphur content than European diesels. This diesel was not compatable with European diesels which were designed for low sulphur diesel.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member

everything you say is true.

so the problem is americans are not up to new ways of thinking,

wouldnt it be time to change and move into the future,
like a Paradigm shift, before its to late??

Old 09-12-2011, 02:04 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jagular
Jaguar is a much more established manufacturer than BMW. When Jaguar was winning at Le Mans, BMW was building bubble cars under license from the Italians.....

Jaguar actually makes a better car than BMW at present, however, I concede that not as many people realize that as one might think.
I do. Modern BMWs (save for M3 and possibly 1M Coupe thingy) are luxury barges designed for self-indulging arrested-development types. Where once BMW has shined (relatively light weight, sharp and accurate steering, athleticism of handling) now they are just a dull, problem-ridden, obese, appliance on wheels.

I've driven most modern BMWs, including Jaguar's direct competitors (5-series, 6-series and 7-series), of which none provide no similar satisfaction from the driving experience, but rather try to impress you with the amount of electronic accessories (most are optional extras, of course).

And their design...their design I'm partial as a previous owner of a 1984 BMW 320i (E30) and a 2001 BMW 740i w/Sport Package (E38). Modern cars' design doesn't offend as much as Chris Bangle's creations, but they don't invoke nearly the same excitement as Jaguars do.

In essense modern Jaguars drive the way BMWs ought to and look the way Jaguars ought to (breath-taking)

Old 09-12-2011, 07:42 PM
Veteran Member

The main obstacle to adoption of diesel powered passenger cars in North America is the price of gasoline. Despite all the rhetoric from the environ mentals and the politicos we in North America are just not serious about fuel economy.

The very best turbo diesels just do not drive like a gasoline powered car. Frankly, they would be perfect for our driving situations: stop and go City driving where the diesel's low end torque smooths out the driving at slow speeds and constant highway speed driving. Where they fall down a bit (and less and less as the technology is perfected) is in so called enthusiast driving where the gasoline engine excels, rapidly changing speeds and torque requirements, bendy roads or two lane rural roads.

Even there, if getting from point A to point B takes priority over the pure esthetics of driving then turbo diesels are the way to go, they are excellent for routine driving trips.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:52 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Problem is that it includes "regular scheduled maintenance". BMW is now the only manufacturer to offer similar maintenance coverage. Audi had it in the early 2000's and it included everything from light bulbs to brake pads (sadly tires were excluded). Mercedes tried this type of coverage but ended it after a year or two.

When negotiating with the sales manager for my XF, I asked for and got 2 years of free oil changes, it seemed great until I realized that the recommended change interval was 10,000 miles, I might squeeze 3 oil changes out of them. Alas, there is no "free lunch", I just wish the free maintenance included the brakes, light bulbs, wiper blades, oh who am I kidding!!!!

I still love my car, and will probably buy another.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member

hey, Jagular,,can you buy a diesel jaguar in canada??

asked about one in Texas dealer, and no ,at least not yet!

JIm 64 says that new 3.0L diesel is a good performer. and great MPG.

Old 11-23-2011, 02:54 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok I had own Jags for 3 years XK and XF are my cars right know, before that Mercedes and BMW, lets star with Mercedes what warranty? basic and that's it Jaguar has better warranty match with BMW on top all cars are the same you will be in the dealer due software, most of modern cars problems are software which is in all functions, I wich we can update software like we do with phones or computers but this is part of the business of car companies only the dealer can do it. One more thing I've been in the dealer for my Mercedes and BMW almost as frequent as Jaguar. So if you want a reliable car get a basic Jeep with manual windows no electronics just the engine and transmission that will never fail.

Old 11-23-2011, 03:58 PM
Per
Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by yidal8
Reading the replies here, I'm scratchin my head. I was refering to the negative implications from marketing stand point. Some people think backwards here, I think.
If the Tata Jaguar is a much better car, then why not increase the warranty coverage rather than reduce it. Increasing will not cost the company more money 'if the cars are generally better...' That's what I would do with my products. Long warranties are an important marketing tool
It's all about comparison points to help your dealers sell more cars against the competition. Tata is making it harder.
In the USA, in this business, perception is everything.
When you are coming from behind, like Jaguar is , you must give more than the established brands.
And yes, I do think the XF is a better product than the BMW , MB, Audi direct competitors. That does not help Jaguar unfortunately to increase market share.
Word of mouth does not save brands in this business.
Reducing warranty may not affect new car sales much. These buyers in general tend to keep their cars max 3 years. And residual value at that point will not be affected much by the difference between 4 and 5 years: Perceived quality will. The second owners will pay according to how mych trouble they expect during the next say three years.

And reducing included items will still keep them ahead of BMW etc.. A bare bones car from these suppliers, in this market segment, is a rare sight indeed. Which is why comparison tests usually quote on the road prices of similarly equipped cars.

Old 11-24-2011, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member

North America is not yet ready for diesel passenger cars so jaguar does not sell one here. You may be interested to know that today diesel sells for a hefty 10% price premium over gasoline in my town.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:40 PM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

Personally, I think everyone here is forgetting that the first order of business is to FOLLOW THE MONEY. The warranty on any car is not actually an "expense" to any manufacturer; that is unless there is some unforeseen warranty service action or recall. It is entirely built into the price of the car. You pay for it, period.

I'll stand for a reasonable warranty and a lower sales price, myself.

My two cents...........

Old 12-06-2011, 08:21 PM
Veteran Member

Absolutely. Manufacturer's warranties are insured by the manufacturer and the customer pays the premium in the price. It is budgeted into the selling price of th new vehicle. This is on reason used cars off warranty plunge in value.

Also, the japanese figured out that making reliable cars made them higher profits when the got into competition with craptastic American made cars.

Old 12-07-2011, 03:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21,779 Likes on 8,748 Posts

I think TATA head honchos should toss out the bean counters and start getting better quality in these cars.
They need to upgrade the quality level so Jaguar can get off of Consumer Report's shyte list.
Otherwise, there won't be too many cars sold to matter...
Why would someone reading that mag want to spend $65 k to $120K on an alleged low quality level car ???

Old 12-07-2011, 06:31 PM
Veteran Member

Why would anyone wanting to own a Jaguar pay any attention to Consumer Reports? You either want the experience and put up with the quirks or die a slow death driving a Lexus. Yawn.

The following users liked this post:
Wife's Tech (12-09-2011)
Old 12-07-2011, 06:40 PM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by jagular
Why would anyone wanting to own a Jaguar pay any attention to Consumer Reports? You either want the experience and put up with the quirks or die a slow death driving a Lexus. Yawn.
Mighty well put!

Old 12-08-2011, 09:26 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

As someone who's seriously considering their first Jaguar, if I'm dropping that kind of money on a car, the last thing I want are "quirks".

Old 12-08-2011, 09:43 AM
Received 6,330 Likes on 5,516 Posts

Even Toyotas were displaying quirks not so long ago.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:35 PM
Veteran Member

Do not buy a Jaguar unless you wish to experience a drive unlike any other car. Do not buy a Jaguar if dropping that kind of money on a car bothers you. The Jaguar is much better value than all of the German competition and a better drive, but only if you appreciate British chassis design. The Japanese aren't even on the same pitch so forget comparing to any of those.

The best chassis engineering in the World is British. This has been the case for many years. British engineering has won more formula one races than engineering from any other country and most of those wins have been due to chassis engineering.

Jaguar pretty much epitomizes this expertise.

Last edited by jagular; 12-08-2011 at 08:38 PM.

Quick Reply: TATA beancounters are destroying Jaguar already