XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

TATA beancounters are destroying Jaguar already

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 11:30 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Dropping that kind of money on a car doesn't bother me and I agree that on paper it's great value. However, for that kind of money I have very high expectations of the car. That's great that it delivers an excellent drive but it bits fall off, or I'm taking it in a few times a year for warranty work then that seriously diminishes its value.

There are several competitors that, I think, offer very comperable vehicles to the XF and XFR. While the XFR is high on my list the whole reliability thing is a big hesitation point for me.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Then definitely stay away from a jaguar. If you seriously think the Germans make a better product you are not going to like a jaguar. In fact a Lexus or Infinity, or even an Acura is in your future. Yield to your destiny. We won't appreciate you succumbing to the massive appeal of the Jaguar and then moaning on about how it's falling apart the first time a bit of trim drops off. Jaguar already suffers from enough of those customers already. They all write in to CR as soon as anything goes wrong. I just keep driving with this ridiculous grin on my face and get the trim fixed when I have time.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:17 PM

Well that's too bad then. Making a car that looks good is one thing but without the relibality to back it up is something else all together.

I'd complain too if I just bought an $80,000 car and parts of it started dropping off. I don't think it's acceptable of any new car at any price point. If no one complains about these things then where is the incentive to improve product quality?

Old 12-09-2011, 01:00 PM
Per
Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
Well that's too bad then. Making a car that looks good is one thing but without the relibality to back it up is something else all together.

I'd complain too if I just bought an $80,000 car and parts of it started dropping off. I don't think it's acceptable of any new car at any price point. If no one complains about these things then where is the incentive to improve product quality?
What he (and I) are trying to tell you is that you pay your money and make your choice. Try test driving under varied conditions and take into account varying needs. As far as I am concerned a noisy and/or harsh car is a non starter. Build quality may be good but that doesn't help me one bit if I get out after a long trip and feel knackered. The newest Merc E-series falls flat on its face compared to the XF. Do you like the looks of the Audi or does it bore you? Etc etc

When you compare prices make sure you compare with the same equipment level. BMWs and others tend to be very basic at the starting price.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:45 PM

Oh yeah, I agree. Some people don't mind harsh rides, and for other people, as you put it, it's a non-starter.

For me build quality is pretty high on the list (that's one of the main points of a luxury car isn't it?) so I'm not big on the idea of putting up with parts falling off, etc.

I was just commenting that I would think that people would complain to Jaguar about these things and keep after them to improve build quality. Why wouldn't you want to make a good car even better?

Old 12-09-2011, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
I was just commenting that I would think that people would complain to Jaguar about these things and keep after them to improve build quality. Why wouldn't you want to make a good car even better?
Hopefully when they call to complain they don't get similar advice...

Sell your Jaguar. If the Germans make a better product you are not going to like a Jaguar. In fact a Lexus or Infinity, or even an Acura is in your future. Yield to your destiny. We don't appreciate you succumbing to the massive appeal of the Jaguar and then moaning on about how it's falling apart the first time a bit of trim drops off. Jaguar already suffers from enough of you customers already. They all write in to CR as soon as anything goes wrong. Just keep driving with a ridiculous grin and get the trim fixed when you have time.

Last edited by Bruce H.; 12-09-2011 at 04:54 PM.
Old 12-11-2011, 02:54 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jagular
Why would anyone wanting to own a Jaguar pay any attention to Consumer Reports? You either want the experience and put up with the quirks or die a slow death driving a Lexus. Yawn.
Man, I really hope Jaguar itself doesn't have this attitude.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

I doubt Jaguar reads CR. Americans have odd tastes in automobiles. At a time when global warming is a hot topic and gas prices in the US are getting pretty high sales of SUV and pickups are increasing and FIAT cannot sell its 500.

Jaguar sells extremely well in Europe and other markets. Frankly, the American car market is of marginal interest to Europeans now. The British were hot to trot to please the Americans after WW II and during the awful 60's and 70's but now China is the hottest market and the European manufacturers are looking to compliance with their home markets.

The vast majority of US buyers still think trucks are cars.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:18 PM
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by jagular
The vast majority of US buyers still think trucks are cars.
It does amaze me how many trucks are out there on the roads and highways here in the U.S., even around where I live. I'm sure the need for a truck varies by a person's lifestyle, but wonder how much of the time most truck owners really need the truck functionality and how much they are used mainly as cars. Most often I see them running around with their cargo beds empty. Ideally if you really do need a truck, you get a truck and a car, and use them interchangably as the need requires. I suppose that means 2 payments and 2 insurance bills, as well as the need for 2 parking spaces, however.