XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Tech Help Please | P057B, P0500 Codes

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 05:34 PM
Received 103 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Tech Help Please | P057B, P0500 Codes

I had my XFR on a closed course circuit when it shot me many different error codes on the dashboard. Transmission Fault, DSC not available, Adaptive Dynamics Fault, and E-Brake Fault all shot onto the dashboard. I pulled over and restarted the car and every message had gone away. Upon placing it into the staging area again, the car gave one single Transmission Fault warning so I decided to end the day for good.

At this time, no further messages have popped up although I do have a confirmed fault code of P057B and a pending code of P0500 stored in my ECU. I have attempted to clear these codes with my scanner, however, they come back immediately after the clearing process. Although there is no check engine light on the dash, I am sure it will pop up soon in the near future.

The car runs fine, the speedometer is working, the fuel gauge is working, and nothing seems to be out of order. There is a serious lack of information on P057B and I was hoping for a Tech/Master Tech to chime in with some information. My preliminary searches have taken me to look at the Vehicle Speed Sensor and Brake Pedal Position sensor, however, nothing on my car seems to be out of order.

As a side note, U0121 and U0122 also popped up as pending during my initial scan but has since been cleared and not come back.

Any thoughts?

Old 11-27-2015, 08:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,210 Likes on 2,367 Posts

Maybe stating the bleeding obvious, but XFs throw all sorts of messages, warnings and codes once the battery is on the way out.
I see yours is a 2011, which means that if you are still on the original battery it is 4+ years old and right at the point they often start to go **** up.
If you are still on the original battery I would renew it, even if that doesn't fix your current problems it will prevent some future problems.

Old 11-28-2015, 01:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 362 Likes on 273 Posts

What I got over at Range Rover.

Well, I just had my transmission replaced with a one from RoverLand Parts, and today I now have a whole list of new messages. This morning I started the car, and this is what came up:

Check Engine Light ON
Car did not initially start when key was turned the first time, it did start the second time.
When it started, the message "Transmission Fault Limited Gears Only" came on the screen. Keep in mind this transmission is 2 weeks old with less than 500 miles on it.

I used my scanning tool and the following codes came up:

1. U0122 - Lost Communications with Vehicle Dynamics Control Module
2. U0100 - Lost Communications with ECM/PCM A

There are times when there are no codes, and the Transmission Fault still occurs.

Does anyone on the forum have some insight into this issue? For good measure I had my battery checked, and it came back good (less than 1 year old). Also, the car drives perfectly when the codes mysteriously disappear, however they come back every few start-ups. Also, I did replace both rear speed/abs sensors (replaced one 6 months ago, and the other today since I bought two when the first went out).

Any help is greatly appreciated!

So I got to the shop this morning and the mechanic ran a diagnostic. It turns out the car was throwing about every error under the sun, but it was due to an intermittent IGNITION RELAY. It is the little grey relay under the hood that is contained in the box where the ECU is located. It is a very inexpensive part and he says it is a fairly common replacement item and costs less than $20.00.

Hope this is helpful for anyone else out there with similar symptoms!

Old 11-28-2015, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Maybe stating the bleeding obvious, but XFs throw all sorts of messages, warnings and codes once the battery is on the way out.
I see yours is a 2011, which means that if you are still on the original battery it is 4+ years old and right at the point they often start to go **** up.
If you are still on the original battery I would renew it, even if that doesn't fix your current problems it will prevent some future problems.
I had my battery replaced about two months ago. I tested the battery and it is holding strong at 12.6 volts.

The check engine light has still not turned on even though the confirmed fault code is still there. But hey everything seems to work as it should and I have full power so unless that CIL turns on, I'll continue to drive it as normal.

Old 11-29-2015, 12:58 PM

Well the fault codes have cleared themselves after a few cold starts. I have no real answer as to what happened but I am glad the car has fixed itself!

Old 11-29-2015, 01:49 PM
Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts

Check out my thread about this same issue:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-think-152723/

Short answer (so far): I had a bluetooth OBD reader plugged in all the time. Turns out the OBD port doesn't shut off for a long while after the ignition is turned off. After a while, it was draining the battery enough to get these errors. I haven't seen another error since, but I may replace the relay mentioned above anyway. $20 for some added piece of mind seems worth it.

Old 11-30-2015, 02:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

Many OBD tools use "keep alive" messages to stay in touch with the PCM. So the car doesn't shut down and so may not power off the OBD. Kinda catch-22.

Old 03-22-2019, 12:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
I recently changed my battery and was pleased to see it cleared alot of codes.

Old 03-22-2019, 02:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

Very old thread. Many many times the battery has been mentioned so not really worth adding to an old thread.

Old 07-31-2019, 08:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got this same error in my system P057B but no message attached to it. Can someone provide any guidance?