XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Temp Gauge where abouts n windows

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 09:40 PM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Temp Gauge where abouts n windows

I am getting familiar with my car and user manual I have two quick questions.

1. Where can one see the engine temperature and other important engine info?

2. Windows go down automatic but not up. How can I change?

thanks, Riq

Old 03-15-2012, 08:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

No temperature gauge. Jaguar deems this information to be unnecessary.

Window auto up function needs to be re-set if battery is disconnected. This safety feature requires the up position to be re-set by teaching the control module where fully up is. The description is in the handbook somewhere.
http://www.jaghelp.com/2012/02/reset...on-your-jaguar

Old 03-15-2012, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by jagular

Window auto up function needs to be re-set if battery is disconnected. This safety feature requires the up position to be re-set by teaching the control module where fully up is. The description is in the handbook somewhere.

Are you kidding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! how so! My XJ8's thermistor stopped working one fine day. The temp needle shot to red and I stopped right there and then. Changed it without any damage. What happens with the XF do you just keep on going?

I'd like to hear what Jag Techs have to say on this one

Old 03-15-2012, 05:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,949 Posts

The car's electronics will be monitoring the engine temperature, after all it is a major value for the fuel injection, and will soon tell you if anything appears amiss, even a thermistor failure is detectable and will flag a fault.

Jaguar, (along with other manufacturers) seem to have decided owners don't actually need to see a dial with a temperature on it, like my wife's New Beetle, which only shows a blue or red thermometer symbol.

If you have the electronic diagnostic kit, you can plug it in and see the engine temperature there, as well as tranny temperature.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:38 PM

well I can tell you its going to be tuff. My Toyota sequoia shows, Water Temp, Oil Temp, VoltMeter, etc etc plus alerts you if any thing goes wrong. I guess its another save a few bucks strategy from Jag.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:03 PM
Veteran Member

No, Jaguar, like other manufacturers, realizes that engine gauges are anachronistic devices. Most owners pay no attention to gauges and those that do often misinterpret what they see.

Modern engine electronics can easily deal with anomalous sensor outputs.

All you need to know is fuel remaining.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Jagular on this. In my experience, most people don't have a clue as to what the other gauges are for (e.g., temp is fairly easy to figure out, but what does the volt-thingy do?). They take up valuable dash real estate and don't really provide a lot of useful information (again, for the average driver).

Just my opinion. YMMV.

--Dim

Old 03-16-2012, 10:06 AM

I have to disagree strongly with you all and Jaguar. A sports sedan with no engine information is preprosterouse. It would have taken a few man hourse to program all this info on the main display. Press engine and you get temp, volts, oil level, water level, water temp, oil temp...how cool is that!

Old 03-16-2012, 01:24 PM

Rique,

I agree that it would have been easy to throw that information up on the main display (much like the mpg/avg speed info is now). My point is that there is simply no real need to clutter an instrument cluster with gauges. Many people wouldn't pay attention to them anyways...

--Dim

Old 03-16-2012, 02:19 PM
vs2
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not sure about all XF models but I think ANY car with 500+ hp should have some visual aids for monitoring critial mechanical and electrical systems. In the XFR it could have simply been an additional page (or two) on the touchscreen. This would have been so easy for them (Jaguar) to have done.

If I'm at WOT and I see 105C Temp I'm going to slow down and I don't care what anyone says. I'm not going to wait for some warning light or 'limp mode' to be activated.

Just a simple Temp gauge (which I have) I know how long to get to operating temp, I know normal cruising temp, I know stop and go traffic temp, I know sitting on a hot day in heavy traffic temp, and I know the temp at WOT through redline in 4 gears (so far )

Call me old school but in my mind it is 'peace of mind'.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:01 PM
Veteran Member

Facts are facts. In all the time I have owned my cars I have never had the warning gauges warn me about anything I needed to know. I have had engines boil over due to thermostat failure or hose or radiator failure but the temperature gauge gave me no warning. It just went off scale as the failure occurred. I was made aware of the failure by the steam!

An oil temperature gauge is useful to inform you when the engine can be worked hard. Tire pressure readings would be really useful. Jaguar could deliver this information and, like most manufacturers, chooses not to. Engine temperature is not useful and neither are volts or amps. Engine oil level is useful and the 5.0 liter Jaguars give you that info.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:29 PM
Cool Overheating gauge

When the low coolant light comes on, how can you tell what the temp of the engine is?

Old 11-03-2013, 07:10 PM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 390 Posts

I also agree that the lack of a Temp gauge is absolutely ignorant....And to say one is better off without a gauge because people that own these cars are too inept to understand the Coolant temp meaning is also totally ignorant.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:10 PM
Veteran Member

Fact is modern cars with temperature gauges don't display actual temperature information.

The driver doesn't need to know what the coolant temperature is. Therefore, manufacturers no longer display this, even if there's a gauge with a needle.

Modern engines don't need a dipstick either.

Even an analog speedo is useless given modern enforcement practices. A digital speedo makes more sense.

Old 11-04-2013, 04:55 PM
Default Overheating Jaguar XF

I have a 2011 XF and was driving on a freeway in LA when the low coolant light came on, it took me a few miles to get off the freeway and get to a gas station. I had the car towed to the dealer where they told me the engine was blown. The car only had 56,135 miles on the engine. I realize this is over the warranty but this is ridiculous. My question is, how are you suppose to know how hot the engine is and how much time you have to pull over when the low coolant light comes on???? Any expert opinion would be greatly appreciated. I didn't find any tempeture gauge on the vehicle. Anyone else experience the same problem?

Old 11-04-2013, 06:36 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by b.marsella
I have a 2011 XF and was driving on a freeway in LA when the low coolant light came on, it took me a few miles to get off the freeway and get to a gas station. I had the car towed to the dealer where they told me the engine was blown. The car only had 56,135 miles on the engine. I realize this is over the warranty but this is ridiculous. My question is, how are you suppose to know how hot the engine is and how much time you have to pull over when the low coolant light comes on???? Any expert opinion would be greatly appreciated. I didn't find any tempeture gauge on the vehicle. Anyone else experience the same problem?
The engine temperature gauges won't prevent this. By the time they read "too hot" your engine will have overheated.

Do you by chance have a supercharged engine?

Old 11-05-2013, 05:50 AM

The engine temperature gauges won't prevent this. By the time they read "too hot" your engine will have overheated.

Do you by chance have a supercharged engine?
Jagular you are dead WRONG. In my XJ8 the thermostat failed me once. I saw the temp slightly above normal and I immediately stopped the car and took a look. Engine temp was starting to rise rapidly so I turned off the engine for about an hour. I was in a remote area heading to a friends town house. Engine cooled down and I was able to drive the extra 10 minutes to my destination. No harm to the engine or towing. Temp gauges are absolutely necessary and there absence in modern Jags is ridiculous and petty.

The following users liked this post:
DPK (11-05-2013)
Old 11-05-2013, 08:02 AM
Veteran Member

I'm sure you aren't reading my posts.

I just love anecdotal evidence "proving" stuff.

In 1976 I had a thermostat stick open (99% of thermostat failures stick open, not closed). My temperature gauge told me what my feet already knew (it was minus 30C outside). Temperature gauge told me I had a cool running engine. Really useful to know.

In 2009 the cooling fan fuse on our Alfa blew. The engine boiled over. The temperature gauge gave insufficient warning. The Alfa has an oil pressure gauge also. It doesn't work. The displayed pressure is incorrect. My Audi turbo had an oil temperature gauge, it always read the same temperature. My SAAB turbo doesn't have such a gauge, but it does have a thermostatically controlled oil cooler. I know which accessory I prefer.

I've never experienced thermostat failure nor have I ever had a car overheat, while driving. That's 15 or so cars and probably a million km of driving. Never. The only cooling system failures I've experienced have been catastrophic. The cooling hose burst, or the radiator sprung a big leak. Good luck using a temperature gauge to predict those failures.

You relate ONE instance where you think you had a thermostat failure that you "cleverly" managed. I call BS on that. Your XJ8 thermostat stuck open and you could have continued driving indefinitely with a slightly hot engine. Your temperature gauge told you nothing useful at all. In fact, because you saw a slight rise in engine temperature you thought you needed to manage a problem but in fact what you did was a complete waste of your time. You describe a classic justification for deleting a temperature gauge: the driver doesn't know what it means anyway.

I've also never had a flat tire so run flat tires seem useless to me also. And so on.

Modern engines (the whole car actually) are so reliable you just don't need to know this information. Technology moves on and we can take advantage of it, just concentrate on the driving.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,531 Likes on 3,941 Posts

I think Jaguar may have it right (for the vast majority) - but it doesn't suit me.

They probably should allow all manner of things to be seen on the screen. But I suppose a cheap tablet and OBD app is a reasonable make-do.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:14 AM
Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Modern engines (the whole car actually) are so reliable you just don't need to know this information. Technology moves on and we can take advantage of it, just concentrate on the driving.
To me, as usual, you completely miss the underlying point. Cars for a lot of people are not just an intellectual venture, but an emotional one. I would venture to say that Jaguar drivers want more involvement with the vehicle, not less. More control, not less, More information, not less. Fact of the matter is we don't technically need to have a fuel gauge either, as long as there is a digital readout of range. The tachometer is an anachronism as well - the car is rev limited and/or will automatically shift at redline or before. Soon enough, the technology will improve enough to fully enable hands and foot free driving (except for in the US, where we would still have to pedal our cars with our feet - yaba daba doo- since we're Fred Flintstones here, according to you) - or I guess it would be "riding" at that point.

There are a lot of people who simply would like to have the OPTION of having a look at various parameters, and POSSIBLY notice that something isn't performing the way it has typically. It's called involvement in the driving experience. Just like paddle shifting is involvement in the driving experience even though it isn't as "efficient" as letting the tranny do the work for you.

So, why not have a selection on the trip computer for "gauges" - they could be stacked right on top of each other where the clock resides and it would make people happy if they wanted that choice. Your statement that information should be on a "need to know" basis is just plain wrongheaded.

Last edited by rbobzilla; 11-05-2013 at 10:20 AM.
The following users liked this post:
DPK (11-05-2013)

Quick Reply: Temp Gauge where abouts n windows