XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Thermo is looking to convert

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 06:57 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,932 Likes on 3,228 Posts
Default Thermo is looking to convert

Hey all, I am contemplating trading in my X-Type and upgrading to an XF. My ideal car is a 2012 XFR. I am wanting the 5.0L supercharged engine for the performance and I also like the looks/capabilities of the XFR. But, an XF is not out of the question (but it WILL have the 5.0L regardless, so, the 2013's will be a harder find).

The big question that I have right now is dealing with the radio in the dash. Haven't done a lot of looking, but the question that I have is whether the radio has built in memory so I could download music into the radio and then call it up when needed. If so, how much memory are we talking? Ideally, I would be wanting something in the neighborhood of say 32 GB. If it only has say 10 GB, is it possible to upgrade the storage ability.

In an ideal world, what I am wanting is the built in NAV with an upgradable music storage area (or with enough music storage to make me happy-32GB roughly). If I can't get this, then I would be looking at installing an aftermarket unit that would have the capabilities that I am after. Which leads me to a related question in that are the A/C-Heat controls integrated into the radio on the basic radio?

Thanks

Old 03-24-2014, 07:38 AM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a 2010 but right now driving a 2013 XJ loaner. I'm pretty sure the radios are the same in the XF. It has a 30GB storage space for the nav, but I don't think it will allow you to save music on it. What it does have though and what I use is a 32GB USB stick and stick it in the USB port. That works just as well as the download. It stores everything by the files you put them in. As far as the heating controls go, there are knobs that controls the climate, but for heating and cooling the seats as well as heating the steering wheel on the XF, there are strictly in the head unit. So changing out the radio may make you lose those controls. I hope that helps.

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (03-24-2014)
Old 03-24-2014, 05:04 PM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Thermo, you are the X-Type guru, thanks for the buckets of info you gave me about my past jaguar, it saved me $$$$'s. Are ya tired of the X-Type?

I have a 09 XF SC now (newer models might be different), and I use a Kingston 16GB DataTraveler for the usb port for my music, just make sure you get a cheap, no led light thumbstick, because the "smarter" ones always mis-booted up when I tried to use them. I kept having to re-insert it. The datatraveler works great for me, instant start to the music when I get in and start the vehicle.

Good luck in your search for the new ride.

Stuart Beattie (04-17-2014)
Old 03-25-2014, 08:47 AM
Veteran member

fabfive, as for the X-Type, I am looking for something bigger/better/newer. My life situation has gotten better and I am looking for something to match that. Plus I am wanting to get a few more bells and whistles. Besides, the car is getting to be 11 years old and is starting to show its age. Yes the car is still in nice condition and drives nice, but there are advantages to the newer vehicles.

neogod, I guess I will have to go out and start walking the dealership lots to see what the details are. I have looked at the XJ's and am contemplating that too. But, not sure I want to go quite that high end. Who knows. IF the price is right, then I will go that way. I am just seeing what my options are. I know what I want, I just need to make sure that when I go after the vehicle, I know what I am getting into and what upgrades I may need to do to get exactly what I want.

Old 04-17-2014, 04:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 172 Posts

Hey Hey Chris,

Surely you are not leaving, what the heck will I do without your sound and straight advice?

Ha ha, I wish you well in your choosing and I won't tell the boys on the X-Type forum, well shucks they'll be losing out too!

If YOU go to the XF, I am sure there will be an exodus!!!

Please keep us posted mate, good luck whichever model you choose?

Gee, things will never be the same, but hey don't look back and go for it, you''ve earned so much credence and respect on this forum, heck, you should be a Zillionaire!!

Hope she's a good'un? Stu

Old 04-17-2014, 06:57 PM
Veteran member

Stuart, things are staying status quo for the moment. NOt sure which way I want to jump. There's a few options I am pondering. So, for the moment, the X-TYpe guys are safe. Besides, I will never turn my back on them. Aren't we one big happy family?

If I had my wishes, I would be stepping into one of the new XJ's. But, I also realize that it may be a bit bigger of a step than I can really handle. I love the XK's, but they are the same sort of step. So, we will see. I am wanting something fairly new with the 5.0L motor as I see a few ideas popping into my head (long tube headers from a Mustang to drop in to give more grunt off of the line and help improve top end performance too, upgraded pulley to add a bit more boost, and a few other "goodies", he he he he).

As for being a Zillionaire, I would rather be comfortable with what I have and be helping others with them turning around and helping others which then has them helping others ...... I like the more simple life, but having a little twist to it keeps it interesting and fun.

Stuart Beattie (04-18-2014)
Old 04-18-2014, 04:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 172 Posts

Chris, you are envied the WORLD OVER!

Thank you for the reassurance and by the way, ho ho, you have exceptional taste and all the members on the forum should take note......

I am starting a petition to get Thermo to emigrate, please send all cheques to my personal account, ahem, especially the LARGE ones, hmmm!

We need to get Chris his very own fleet of JAGUARS!

Obviously, as his agent, promoter and sponsor yeah okay, coffee runner! I shall need a small, compact and economical XKR, and X~Type for daily runs, oh and an XJ for the touring holidays, maybe a Daimler Double 6 for the historical shows, a Mark II for, well I always wanted to be a gangster (a nice well-behaved British one, chaps), sponsored events and um the Jaguar Umbrella, T-Cup and ooh, this list is GROWING!!!

Yes, Thermo, I'd like to be comfortable too, ha ha! Stu