XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Thinking about designing an intake for the Supercharged XF

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 03:17 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by davetibbs
If it's a direct replacement allowing me to use the factory airboxes I'd be very interested in purchasing one of these once done.

I have a DIY version of the TCP intake but the heat soak on the metal pipes is insane. This is a hot engine bay!

That is my plan when it is all said and done. As it currently sits it will be a direct replacement for the factory tube unless something comes up that prevents that from being possible. I figured that even if my open element filters don't end up working for one reason or another I will still be able to make an awesome carbon y-pipe that will be less restrictive than the factory.

The following users liked this post:
davetibbs (07-29-2015)
Old 07-28-2015, 04:13 PM
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

I really don't know if the open elements are going to yield anything over the airbox due to them being open to the heat from the engine bay.......

That said i'm sure the indiction noise will be epic!!! Since drilling my standard air boxes and doing the resonator delete i've not felt any negative performace effects and can now really hear the charger.........i may actually totally open up the bottom of the boxes to give more induction noise and more filter surface area..........this coupled with the new carbon pipe may be a winner!!!!!

Old 08-05-2015, 09:24 AM

Hey all, been absent for a short bit, things have been crazy here at work so things in my personal designs have been slow moving. Here is a quick pic of the most up to date assembly. Everything is where I am going to leave it for my testing purposes, I am ordering material today to machine the prototype MAF sections and fabricate the heat shields.

As for the carbon tube, is it basically finished except for the quick disconnect feature on the crankcase vent tube. I should be able to finish that up today and will start looking into vendors to produce the carbon y-pipe sometime soon. I would just like to see who would have any interest in getting a carbon fiber y-pipe for their cars? Carbon fiber tooling and parts are VERY expensive and if there does not appear people would be interested in buying ones to at least help offset my costs of production I may not be able to move forward with that option. Based on my experience with other carbon parts about this size and type we will probably run about $450-$500 each. The twin cities runs for $350 so to me this doesn't seem to bad to me as it will carbon, uses the factory tubes and mount.

If the actual filters, maf housing and heat shields work out I will have to evaluate the extra cost of that when it comes time.

davetibbs (08-06-2015)
Old 08-06-2015, 01:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 290 Posts

Sold. I absolutely would pay $450-500 for one. I'd be looking to use the original airboxes + filters

Old 08-06-2015, 03:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
i'm new in this forum, but i read and follow many threads. I'm from germany, so i'm sorry because of writen mistakes.
I'm planing to buy a XFR facelift next year. Tuning is a hobby since i've been 16, so sometimes when i'm bored, i'm already looking for some tuning/performance parts ...
this carbonfiber intake is awesome (just the piping, no open air filters and so on) and it is now on my "must have"-list for next year ...if shipping to germany is possible? i added this thread to my favorites, i will not forget you and your project

continue working on it, you did a great job so far!

greetings
chris

Old 08-06-2015, 07:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 204 Likes on 156 Posts

Typically MAF sensors are calibrated to the housings. With the full intake you have pictured above you may need to have the car tuned.

Fyi: TCP is running a sale at the moment on their intakes so cost for the 5L is down to $299 shipped.

Last edited by Blackcoog; 08-07-2015 at 06:51 AM.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:37 AM

The MAF housings will be machined to the exact internal diameter as the factory MAF housing. So ideally it will not require any tuning, it should either work with the factory tune or it won't work at all.

Old 08-06-2015, 07:45 AM

lord-chrysel, shipping to you shouldn't be any problem. It will just be a higher shipping cost, but there is no reason I couldn't ship overseas.

Old 08-06-2015, 11:26 AM
Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

Stoked to see this coming along, can't wait to see a proof of concept / prototype. $500 is going to push me out of the want column for just a y-pipe, with a full intake probably in the $700 range? I'd have to see a dyno chart with significant gains for it to be palatable for me, these cars are pretty well-engineered from the factory and the Jag techs I've spoken with have talked about how finicky the ECU / MAF relationship is on these cars.

Could you potentially do the y-pipe out of silicone or stainless steel? That would probably bring down the costs significantly and still yield the same-ish results.

Old 08-07-2015, 07:59 AM

WRX, the $500 is a rough estimate and basically a cap at where I want to put the price. It's based upon similar parts I've seen made before, it would also include the necessary silicone and clamps. If the quotes come back even higher than that for the part and tooling I probably won't follow through with the project as I think it would be fairly cost prohibitive.

If it doesn't work out I will probably have a fabricator friend make me a one-off aluminum y-pipe but one of those with powder coating, silicone couplers, machined barbs, and a jig to make it accurately would cost as much as the carbon one in a production run at normal fab time cost. I would have to send something like that overseas to meet a price point and that's something i don't feel like dealing with.

WRXtranceformed (08-07-2015)
Old 08-26-2015, 04:03 PM

Soooooo,

any movement on this???

Old 08-27-2015, 07:08 AM

Sorry, there has been such a delay. I've been working with manufacturers to get it everything moving along. The lack of buying power has delayed it as I'm trying to get pricing dialed in with them and a guaranteed quantity that I would feel comfortable in buying while not wasting the manufacturers time with a tiny order.

I'll be push a bit harder and will get back to the forum soon. Again sorry for the delays guys I'll try to get this all done soon.

damienedwards (08-27-2015)
Old 09-11-2015, 02:03 PM

Any update on the develpment????

Old 10-05-2015, 03:02 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Interested in this too!

Old 10-05-2015, 09:43 PM
Received 126 Likes on 116 Posts

I recently traded in my 10 NA 5.0 for a 13 SC 5.0.

My 10 intake was very similar to your setup except the "y" connector into the intake is centered on the engine because it does not have the supercharger in the way.

My 13 has the "y" off-set to make way for the supercharger.

But here is where it gets different. My MAS is not removable from the intake pipe (like my 10 NA and the older SC cars). It is a 1-piece and has a 3 bolt flange that bolts to the air boxes.

I would love a pipe from the TB to the MAS pipes and keep the air boxes. I will attach a pic of my 13 SC 5.0 for you to see the MAS.

Attached Thumbnails Thinking about designing an intake for the Supercharged XF-image.jpeg  
Old 10-05-2015, 09:47 PM
Received 126 Likes on 116 Posts
Old 11-04-2015, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 290 Posts

Any news on this?

Old 11-25-2015, 02:46 PM

My apologies to anyone who was following this thread. After going back and forth over email and phone with carbon suppliers that I have used in the past and possible companies that could absorb to mold costs, I couldn't get the product to a point in which made financial sense, with such a low quantity of potential buyers, for myself or a third party company.

Now however, I recently took a trip to visit a new carbon factory and while discussing with the owner he may be able to cut me a break on the tooling and parts costs if I finance the project myself as I don't have the company agenda to make a profit. Just make enough to offset my initial costs.

Now the question I have to ask is how many people would actually be serious about buying if each carbon y-pipe and the associated silicone couplers and band clamps came to around $450-475usd cost. With the carbon tube, 3 silicone couplers, band clamps plus shipping materials that looks to be the area I can work within. If I can get 15-20 people interested in buying, then I will get the parts coming. I may even be able to work out a cheaper initial cost if I hit or exceeds 20 people before the order is due as I'll have the manufacturer make a larger quantity. Please respond here or send me a PM if you are SERIOUSLY interested in buying.

Here is also another picture of the intake tube in its most recent form. It is designed to fit the factory airboxes while utilizing the factory mount and vent hoses as well.

Old 11-25-2015, 03:03 PM

10 XF Premium

I am not sure on the compatibility of the y-pipe with the new style of sensors. Both setups do look very similar but I cannot tell for sure based off of the pictures. To start can anyone verify the new sensor tube is still approximately a 3" diameter If so it will probably be fairly close to fitting.

Old 11-25-2015, 05:45 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Glass-man
My apologies to anyone who was following this thread. After going back and forth over email and phone with carbon suppliers that I have used in the past and possible companies that could absorb to mold costs, I couldn't get the product to a point in which made financial sense, with such a low quantity of potential buyers, for myself or a third party company.

Now however, I recently took a trip to visit a new carbon factory and while discussing with the owner he may be able to cut me a break on the tooling and parts costs if I finance the project myself as I don't have the company agenda to make a profit. Just make enough to offset my initial costs.

Now the question I have to ask is how many people would actually be serious about buying if each carbon y-pipe and the associated silicone couplers and band clamps came to around $450-475usd cost. With the carbon tube, 3 silicone couplers, band clamps plus shipping materials that looks to be the area I can work within. If I can get 15-20 people interested in buying, then I will get the parts coming. I may even be able to work out a cheaper initial cost if I hit or exceeds 20 people before the order is due as I'll have the manufacturer make a larger quantity. Please respond here or send me a PM if you are SERIOUSLY interested in buying.

Here is also another picture of the intake tube in its most recent form. It is designed to fit the factory airboxes while utilizing the factory mount and vent hoses as well.

Have you looked into 3D printing this as a test case? Could work out far cheaper and would be useful to see any gains..

Quick Reply: Thinking about designing an intake for the Supercharged XF