XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Thinking of buying 2010 XF

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 06:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of buying 2010 XF

Hey there everybody. I am new to this forum and am looking to buy my first Jaguar. This will be my first real, luxury car I've owned. So Im getting pretty excited about it.

Im really looking hard at getting a 2010 XF Premium. Can some people on here that own one or have owned one please share with me some of their experiences with this car. Good and bad reports are all appreciated. Have you enjoyed it, has it been reliable (thats the biggest question I have), would you buy it again, etc??? Because I really want to make a good decision about my vehicle.

Thank you all for your help with this.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 261 Posts

I bought early. The car is a hoot to drive, looks great and is reliable. There have been a few new model faults but the only potentially serious one is the shifter problem which was fixed or 2010 model and later. Buy it, you will love it.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by jagular
I bought early. The car is a hoot to drive, looks great and is reliable. There have been a few new model faults but the only potentially serious one is the shifter problem which was fixed or 2010 model and later. Buy it, you will love it.
What was the shifter issue that those had?

Old 11-07-2011, 08:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 261 Posts

Rotary selector would stick in P or in D. Two recalls have repaired this fault in all affected cars by now. Mine was one of the early builds and one of the kat to need this repair. Later cars were not affected. Updated selector and circuit board were installed.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:39 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Exactly the model year I have. Great car. Watch out for rattles (which are the only real problems I have had). Get them fixed (they all have dealer fixes). Goes like hell, handles well and has rarity value (at least in my part of the world) when compared to BMWs, MBs and Audis.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:28 AM

Thanks for all the responses so far. I'm going to have the vehicle transferred to MS so I can look at it in person and drive it. If all goes well, I may pull the trigger on it. The one I'm looking at has 25k miles, so if those "rattles" appear, would the fixes be covered under warranty??

Old 11-08-2011, 07:12 AM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

The car is still under the 3 year warranty so the answer should be yes. Often the previous owner has had them fixed, but you never know. Watch for, in particular, rear driver's side passenger door, roof console, center console, roof liner and sunroof seal (although I have not had this particular issue, plenty of other people on this forum have had this particular problem).

Other issues include rear lights, check all the LEDs are lit. I had to have mine replaced and two friends of mine with the car had the same issue with this model year. The stuck gear selector issue which occurred more frequently on the 2009 model year seems to have been fixed in the 2010.

The car has never let me down (i.e. required transportation to the dealer on a flat bed!!) and has provided reliable daily transport despite the minor niggles mentioned above. I love this car and I am a long time BMW owner. Although my last 5 series had no problems, I have had very serious issues with some BMWs e.g. requiring new steering columns, cylinder heads to mention two on a 2006 Z4!! Compared to this the Jaguar has been a paragon of virtue.

Old 11-09-2011, 05:36 AM

I got one of these three weeks ago and LOVE IT...I can't speak to reliability, but they are FUN to drive. The smooth power and torque is just incredible...and dont get me started about sport mode...

Old 11-09-2011, 09:32 AM
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by whitbyxf
The car has never let me down (i.e. required transportation to the dealer on a flat bed!!) and has provided reliable daily transport despite the minor niggles mentioned above. I love this car and I am a long time BMW owner. Although my last 5 series had no problems, I have had very serious issues with some BMWs e.g. requiring new steering columns, cylinder heads to mention two on a 2006 Z4!! Compared to this the Jaguar has been a paragon of virtue.
+1 Pretty much the same story with my XFR. In just under 7000 miles, the only real problems were a faulty driver's window motor and window switch unit, and a noisy sunroof seal. I was unlucky and got a couple of nail punctures to the tires, but that could happen to any car.

My last car, a 2001 BMW M5, was also fairly reliable, although I had to replace THREE "final stage resistors" (needed to run the HVAC), one at a time, each one a different design until they got one that wouldn't fail in a few months' use, all four cam position sensors (again, they would fail one at a time), a fuel level sensor, and a few other things. Nothing that stranded me (except the fuel level sensor indirectly, when it continued to tell me I had plenty of fuel until the moment I ran out!), but annoying things that needed service visits. I'm sure I'm not remembering other things that needed fixing.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the same boat as koaltech. I've only had the car for 10 days, but so fr so good. Had to take it in to get the the nav updated yesterday and then ended up getting break pads replaced which were the most expensive of any car i've ever owned.

The first full tank of gas only lasted about 200 miles, just filled it up again to see how far it'll take me.

I was a benz guy before this, but i have no regrets switching so far.

Good luck