XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Thinking of buying XF

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 12:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of buying XF

Hi all,

Looking for some opinions / reviews. I am thinking about buying a Jaguar XF 2010 16K Miles - asking 40K at dealer.

So first opinions........ I have looked at the BMWs 535 / Mer E350 / Audi A6 / Lin MKS. Is anyone disappointed they went with a Jag and not one of its competitors?

Reviews...........I have read some folks saying the Nav / Ipod / Climate control are very bad. As well as back seat leg room being small. Any other major issues folks dislike about their XF(s)?

Tony

Old 06-11-2012, 02:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Well, those cars aren't exactly competitors with the 6 cylinder engines. Performance wise alone, the XF would beat them all........ in reverse.

Also, what you mean nav/ipod/climate control are very bad?

If you driving the car most of the time, who cares about the rear leg room? Perosonally, i don't think its that bad.

I think you should go for the XF. If you not sure, go test drive them all.

Old 06-11-2012, 03:24 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

It is important that you drive them all and see which one suites your preferences and life style.

For me I like BMWs and moved to a Jag because the available BMW options at the time were not to my liking. Although the Jag has a bigger engine than most of the options you cite, the BMW 535i is just as fast as the standard NA engined Jag, although no where near as fast as the SC XF and XFR.

The typical British interior of the Jag is warmer than the German counterparts, but I find the finish on the Jag to be a little worse than the Germans.

The only problem with the XF is that although the mpg for the V8 is very good for a V8, it is still somewhat worse than the Audi, MB and BMW which have those more fuel efficient 6s.

Do I regret getting the Jag XF? No I do not, but I am moving back to a BMW because of the fuel consumption. If we could get a diesel or decent 300 bhp turbo 6 for the XF here in the US, then I would probably stay with the Jag.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:40 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by tonyd414
Hi all,

Looking for some opinions / reviews. I am thinking about buying a Jaguar XF 2010 16K Miles - asking 40K at dealer.

So first opinions........ I have looked at the BMWs 535 / Mer E350 / Audi A6 / Lin MKS. Is anyone disappointed they went with a Jag and not one of its competitors?

Reviews...........I have read some folks saying the Nav / Ipod / Climate control are very bad. As well as back seat leg room being small. Any other major issues folks dislike about their XF(s)?

Tony
Hi, Tony:

I just purchased my first Jaguar last Thursday, and I go to pick it up this Wednesday. I will share some of my views as to why I chose a Jaguar over some of those other cars with you, and why I would strongly recommend the XF over the other vehicles you mentioned.

I just purchased a 2009 XF Premium Luxury with 22,000 miles for $34,000 at my local Jaguar dealership. The car is CPO with the 6 year, 100,000 mile warranty, and to meet certification, they just had 4 new tires and rear brakes put on the car, which would be about $2,000 if I had to have that done after the purchase.

Since you did not specify what trim level the XF is you are looking at, I will assume it is either the Luxury or Premium Luxury model since I’m sure you would have said if it were supercharged or the XFR model. If it is a luxury model, I would say it is rather overpriced, and if it is a premium model, I would say it still overpriced. The mileage is low, but is it certified so you get that extended warranty? That’s really nice to have, whether or not you are going to own it for a long time because if you are going to own it, you have peace of mind in years 4, 5, and 6 of ownership, or if you are going to sell it, that warranty will transfer to the next buyer and add about $3,000 of value to your car. If it is not certified, I would pay at MOST $34,500 if it were the luxury model, or $36,000 if it were premium luxury. If it were certified, I would pay $36,000 for the luxury model or $37,500 if it were premium luxury, MAX.

If you are looking for a Luxury and don’t mind traveling a little ways, my other local Jaguar dealership in PA has a 2011 XF Luxury for sale. Unlike the 2010, it includes complimentary maintenance for 5 years/50,000 miles, and only has 9,000 miles on the car. They can’t CPO it because it was a dealer loaner car, so you would be the first owner, it is technically not a pre-owned vehicle and has the factory warranty good for about another 4 years/41,000 miles. They are asking $42,900, but came to $38,500 when I was looking at the car. I passed because I wanted the premium luxury model, but it was a GREAT deal (the deal of a century, really) if you are looking for a luxury model.

I test drove the BMW 5-series, Mercedes E350, Audi A6, Lincoln MKS and Acura TL when considering what car to purchase. The XF was vastly superior to me compared to the others. I found the 5-series iDrive system to be too complex and the dash too massive with tons of buttons that would take years to figure out. I test drove both the Mercedes E350 and the C300 on the same day, one new and one used, and both had “sticky” drive pedals. They were integrated into the ground, and I found them to be really touchy and not very fun to drive. The Mercedes finishes seemed rather generic in both cars I drove, and not nearly as good as Jaguar. The Audi A6 was also a disappointment; subpar handling and the interior is full of plastics and cheap veneers. The Lincoln MKS was one of my favorites, actually I preferred the MKZ fully loaded because I think it’s a better-looking car, but the dash was cheap plastics like the A6 (whereas the Jaguar is real aluminum and real woods) and the both cars are just too common where I live. I wanted a car that stood out, and the Jaguar XF is exactly that.

Regarding the navigation interface, while I have only test driven the car, I have tried it extensively and find it very easy-to-use and actually like it the most of all computer-based navigation modules I’ve tried. Rear leg room depends on how far back the front seats are. Consider, though, that the XF is designed to look like a coupe, so what you may loose in back-seat comfort (when the front seats are back the whole way) you certainly make up for in style and a sleek body. I would not say rear leg room is terribly bad by any standards, especially when the passengers are of normal size. If you’re a family of Michael Jordans, then, maybe the XF isn’t for you. If leg room is a concern, then look at the XJ. But test drive the car with who’s going to be in it most often and ask them how they feel. For my family, it was perfectly adequate, though I will usually, for the most part, be in the car myself.

Are their compromises? Sure. Fuel economy sucks, by any standards, but there are certainly a lot more pros (for me, at least) than there are cons, and the XF is a solid, beautiful sports sedan that will be the talk of the town. A BMW or Lincoln certainly would not be, at least where I live.

One last note: Going to a fully loaded XF Premium gave me every feature I wanted - heated and COOLED seats (whereas the luxury has only heated), bi-xenon headlamps, heated steering wheel, blind spot monitoring, etc...the list goes on and on. For me, it was the only way to go, and well worth the extra thousand dollars or so.

Best-
Arlingtonman

Last edited by arlingtonman; 06-11-2012 at 05:42 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:37 PM

Initially, I was pretty set on getting the new BMW F10 5-series. I did a lot of research, then I test drove the 535, 550, A6, S5, and XF all in the same day (didn't drive Mercedes since I don't care much for the exterior styling). Surprizingly, the BMWs were at the bottom of the list after the test drives. For me at least, the car has to have a good feel to it and the BMWs just felt a bit awkward and I hated the turbo lag. The Audis were very nice, but the A6 felt too soft and the S5 felt too small. The XF with that 5-liter V8, the suspension and transmission felt just right to me, so I bought it and the more I drive it the more I enjoy it. Also, you only see them infrequently, and most people think its much more expensive car than it really is. You can get a 385 bhp XF for the same price as a 300 bhp 535, so to me, its the best value luxury sports sedan out there.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

C-note describes my experience pretty well as I test drove the same cars except I drove the E550 Mercedes. Jag S/C for me covers all categories important to me in a car.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:05 AM
Received 309 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Short and sweet

Tried all of them:

Audi A6 , Benz, BMW 5 = boring everyone has one. Boxy but good.

Jaguar exterior styling striking, turns heads. V8 performance + sounds cool for the price of a 6-cylinder. Interior superior unless you like Benz "Super Vinyl" seats and the "Spill your coffee =tow the car console" or the dumb BMW forward is backward XBOX shift pod and the Icontrol that makes everything an exercise like reloading "Windows" on your PC with more drop downs.

Jaguar AC works. Cool air comes out. I like the AC seats.

Jaguar NAV works fine got me from Milwaukee to Orlando in 18 hours no problem.

Ipod works. Not a big Mac/Ipod fan anyway. Twice the cost half the performance proprietary Mac/Iphone/Ipod snobbery. I prefer the Satellite Radio.

Back seat is like brand new. I sit in front and drive which is were the fun is. Sat in back and I'm 6'1" and I am satisfied it's at least equivalent but not as roomy as a SUV.

Going to drive my Jag. Cheers!

Last edited by edobernig; 06-12-2012 at 08:39 AM.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:25 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Basically, I agree with ED. I have had both the A-6 and the E350 (actually two of them). The Jag is simply a head turner and you do not see yourself coming and going. Everytime I get out of the car I have to look back and smile. The car is a gas to drive.

I just got a 2012 XF and traded my 2010 XF. The dealer made me an offer I really could not afford to turn down.

The 2009-2010 series are great cars, but I'd go with the 2010 because of the larger engine and better power delivery. I have sat in the back seat and been comfortable, but I always feel more comfortable when driving.

Good luck on your search, I am sure that you will be happy with a CPO vehicle.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:41 PM

Thanks for all the info - just got a call from dealer saying $39,000 is lowest they can go since the car is on certified (Jag Select).

Trying to squeeze more.... well see

Old 06-12-2012, 01:05 PM

If it's a lux, I would pass it up at that price. If it's a premium lux, that sounds like a pretty decent deal

Old 06-12-2012, 01:16 PM

Searching within 200 miles of Hartford, Conn. (figure it is about the center of the state), I found some much better deals.

Here is a 2010 PREMIUM Luxury, CPO with 18,596 miles. It is radiance (which is my favorite color on the XF...) with the Barley interior...gorgeous combo. It has every feature you could want and is only $37,995. Every feature - it's fully loaded. Heated and COOLED seats, heated steering wheel, looks like a back-up camera, etc. the list goes on and on. I worked with this dealer before when I was shopping, and they were flexible with price then. I ultimately didn't end up buying from them because they sold the car I liked but I would certainly consider this one.

http://www.jaguarofgreatneck.net/cer...36a0620e04.htm

That's the best deal on an XF I've seen in a long time, and if you could talk them to $36 or $37, it'd be the deal of a CENTURY. I would start negotiating around $34,500, then maybe $35,000, $36,000 and meet them around there...

Happy Car Buying,
Arlingtonman

Old 06-12-2012, 01:30 PM
Veteran Member

I don't know what is Jaguar of great neck trying to do with their postings, but the one in the link is listed as 2010 model, when it's NOT. It couldn't be, because it's a 09 supercharged model. I can tell just by looking at the brakes and the outside mirrors. All 2010 models and up came with different style turn signals on the mirrors. They were much sleeker....like this one. Used 2010 Jaguar XF For Sale | Great Neck NY .

Don't ask me how i know all this, when i don't own a XF yet.

EDIT: other than that, those guys have good prices on their vehicles and most of them are CPO

Old 06-12-2012, 02:47 PM

Looks like the one I am looking at has the 5.0 / the one you posted has the 4.2.

• Year: 2010
  • Make: Jaguar
  • Model: XF
  • Trim: Premium
  • Body style: Sedan
  • Mileage: 16,277
  • Engine: 8 Cyl. 5L
  • Trans: Automatic
  • Exterior Color: Liquid Silver Metallic
  • Interior Color: Warm Charcoal
  • Stock: 7806P
  • VIN: SAJWA0GB6ALR65428

Old 06-12-2012, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Executive
I don't know what is Jaguar of great neck trying to do with their postings, but the one in the link is listed as 2010 model, when it's NOT. It couldn't be, because it's a 09 supercharged model. I can tell just by looking at the brakes and the outside mirrors. All 2010 models and up came with different style turn signals on the mirrors. They were much sleeker....like this one. Used 2010 Jaguar XF For Sale | Great Neck NY .

Don't ask me how i know all this, when i don't own a XF yet.

EDIT: other than that, those guys have good prices on their vehicles and most of them are CPO
Wow. That is some serious skill! You're right. It does look like a 2009, actually. Yeah, I don't know what's going on with Great Neck, but I have to admit that is very weird.

Old 06-12-2012, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by tonyd414
Looks like the one I am looking at has the 5.0 / the one you posted has the 4.2.

• Year: 2010
  • Make: Jaguar
  • Model: XF
  • Trim: Premium
  • Body style: Sedan
  • Mileage: 16,277
  • Engine: 8 Cyl. 5L
  • Trans: Automatic
  • Exterior Color: Liquid Silver Metallic
  • Interior Color: Warm Charcoal
  • Stock: 7806P
  • VIN: SAJWA0GB6ALR65428
Thanks for that Info, OP. I did a little investigating on the car and here are my opinions.

1) It is a Premium, so that is a better deal than I thought. $39k is more than fair, but $38k is the point at which I would say it is a good deal. Try to get them to that number... If you like that color, its a good deal - I think the silver doesn't do anything for the XF's body, especially considering all the chrome just blends in, and I never liked how dark charcoal interiors were, so it wouldn't be MY dream car. But if those colors appeal to you, then by all means, go for it!

2) Carfax report (I'm sure you looked at) shows that Madison Jaguar sold the car new and all work was done there. I would make sure to request the service records before buying the car to see IN DETAIL what all they did on the vehicle and why. At 14,000 miles, it seems it had a cooling system check and water pump replaced...I'd have that looked over by a mechanic before I made a sudden move like buying the car. Make sure it has no cooling problems-those can be big things later on in the life of the car.

3) The interior looks well maintained and from both the interior and exterior pictures, it looks like the last owner cared for the car very well.

Those are my thoughts...let us know what you decide to do!

Old 06-12-2012, 05:41 PM
Veteran Member

arlingtonman,

I have to say, it's funny watching you helping out everybody with their xf. Two weeks ago, you were on the other side of the fence. Good job man, you have learned a lot and it's nice to pass it over.

The following users liked this post:
arlingtonman (06-12-2012)
Old 06-12-2012, 05:52 PM

Thanks, Exec! I'm kind of a "Pay it Forward" type guy. You guys helped me out so much, I feel it is only fair to do the favor for others. I enjoyed car shopping for myself, though I was ready to finally find one near the end..I love doing it again now that I already have mine

I only wish I could help you, Exec! It's time to get you an XF--why are you still on the fence?

Old 06-12-2012, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member

Yep, that's the way to do it.

I am picking up a 2010/2011 next month. I can't wait.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:56 PM

Sounds good, Exec. Keep me posted

Old 06-12-2012, 08:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Did the 09 SC have quad exhaust tips like the '11 SC? The radiance great neck car does not have the quad tips.

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying XF