XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Time to get back to Jags?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 04:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time to get back to Jags?

Hello, everyone.

I've been around the forum since last year but haven't posted much.

I have owned a XF 2.2D (which is only available outside of North America) and had a great experience with it. Sold it with 32k km (16k mi) and moved to the US. Bought a BMW and have been extremely disappointed due to its poor build quality. That twin turbo V6's cost of repair to fun ratio is unreasonable.

Since I have only experienced the diesel XF (it was a '13), I am not sure what I should choose. I am looking at around 28-30k from selling this BMW and I have seen some '12+ XFs with less than 50k miles on them for under 30k.

To be honest, traveling across the country to get one isn't a problem. I'd love to try it out on a road trip as well. I am assuming my choice would be I4 2.0, V8 5.0 or V8 5.0 SC. XFR is definitely out of my price range and I would like to keep it '12+ due to its attractive headlights and whatnot.

Few questions though,

1. My 2.2D has been rock solid, is V8 5.0 or 5.0 SC as reliable as the diesel counterpart? I am assuming 5.0 NA would be more reliable than the SC ones.

2. Under my ownership of 2.2D, I have never had a gear selector problem but I've been hearing that a lot of people experienced it stuck in drive or not popping up? Are '12+ ones having those issues too? I hear most of them from 09 and 10 ones.

3. Any significant or well documented issues with V8 models? I am not really considering 2.0 models, though. For example, my X5 35i was notorious for high pressure fuel pump issues that even non-BMW owners know of (in fact that entire 35i V6 TT engines, starting from 335i to X6 35i and Z4 35i).

4. I have also seen some local owners selling 2011 XJ V8 5.0 with 45k miles and 39k miles for 29.5k and 31k. Is it worth it to consider XJ over XF? I know it's a same engine but I am guessing XJ requires a lot more maintenance over XF considering it's a flagship sedan?

Sorry for the long entry here but I hope everyone's having a good day (night? haha) and enjoy Veteran's day holiday!

Old 11-11-2015, 09:57 AM
Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

i would start with supercharged and go from there.. a low mile XF s/c or if the price is right the XFR......but thats me....i need the performance

Old 11-11-2015, 03:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As you've pointed out the supercharger adds another moving part (or parts if you consider the cooling system and other bits it requires). It's also an expensive thing to have problems with (if they happen).

The NA engine is the same engine block, just without the supercharger. This would likely means us NA folks have a slightly overspec'ed block, as it doesn't need to deal with the extra strain the supercharger imparts.

I hear in the US the S/C versions of the cars can get nice things like bigger brakes and adaptive dynamics, which the naturally aspirated can't (at least not here in the UK). Need someone in the states to confirm that. That'd give a handling bonus to the S/C version.

Not had any gear selector issues here. I don't think there are any common problems per se, modern engineering at work here. Though I have heard on more than one occasion of the S/C engines seeing varied performance due to heat dissipation issues.

And something that would probably affect both NA and S/C V8 - there's a couple of disturbing threads talking about oil distribution problems in the block, seems too rare at the moment to tell if there's definitely a fault at work though. Looks like it'd class action/jag would end up fixing it anyway if there was.

An XJ will be slightly more expensive to maintain but I don't imagine it'll be inherently more unreliable in a similar engine spec. Personally I find they feel a bit boat-ish due to their size. Very nice nonetheless. Give one a test drive.

I think a V8 either NA or S/C would be a great choice, but then I'm biased.

A good day to you too.

Simon

Old 11-12-2015, 09:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We purchased a 2012 XF na V8 base model last Jun. The car had 24k miles on it and was in perfect condition, paid 32k for it. Absolutely love the car, the v8 has just the right amount of growl to it. Did a nation wide search on auto trader and found the one we wanted in Tucson, Az. Flew down from Wa. state and drove it back. Had a blast on the return road trip. The car has performed flawlessly for us, a real joy to drive

Old 11-12-2015, 10:31 PM
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by molotov369

I hear in the US the S/C versions of the cars can get nice things like bigger brakes and adaptive dynamics, which the naturally aspirated can't (at least not here in the UK). Need someone in the states to confirm that. That'd give a handling bonus to the S/C version.

That is correct, Simon.
The US-spec XF Supercharged V8 (like mine) is mechanically identical to the XFR, including the suspension, brakes, Electronic Differential and etc. It does have a slightly lower HP rating than XFR (470 vs 510), but that is all . Mechanically, that is.

Visually, XF S/C's seats are different and it has a different fascia and air intakes.

Essentially it is an XFR minus 40hp and sports seats (I don't mind that fact at all by the by).

Originally Posted by rfcpatrick09
Bought a BMW and have been extremely disappointed due to its poor build quality. That twin turbo V6's cost of repair to fun ratio is unreasonable.

...especially considering it is not a V6
But I do agree (having driven/owned a few BMWs), the reliability is a complete turn off. It may not be quiet as bad on a lease, but if you are buying it...well, I wouldn't!

Old 11-12-2015, 11:11 PM
Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts

I'd take my old 550 in a heartbeat, but the turbo versions they've been coming out with were riddled with issues. I had a 335 for about 6 months that I traded for my XF (needed a bigger back seat for the incoming baby). About a month after selling it, the buyer told me the injectors went bad and the turbos got carboned up.
I love BMWs and will probably have another, but only if it's naturally aspirated.