XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Timing Chain Tensioners Installation Discrepancy

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2020, 09:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=lotusespritse;2174179]Wow the nightmare gets worse!

Did you use a new head gasket after pulling out the heat shield? They are single use aren’t they?

I always use new head gaskets... and keep them as souvenirs. So far 108 done I assume they are single use and would not risk a job of this magnitude to reusing.

Old 01-03-2020, 09:30 AM

I will double check my oil levels. There is a difference in oil level quantity on a supercharged vs naturally aspirated engine of which mine is. The manual indicates 7.5 quarts on naturally aspirated vs 8.5 on supercharged.
Last night I removed the oil cooler plate beneath the air manifold and reverse flushed the oil intake using hot water, then oil. I want to say an old deteriorated Japanese maple leaf came out which may have been blocking the oil intake, but I am not certain. I'll reassemble and hand prime the oil pump to see if I'm getting any oil movement tonight.
I've been inspecting my old oil pump for possible areas of failure. These pumps look solid. It's possible (but unlikely) the inner gear locked up and the pressure broke the little dowel pin retaining the inner lube gear. I'm still at odds what could be wrong with the pump aside from possible debris clogging the intake.

Old 01-03-2020, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by GemelRover
Nedoerr, I believe in the logic behind your description of how the tensioners are to operate. They are hydraulic and primarily dependent on oil pressure.
After installing the replacement head past weekend (had to do that job twice as the heat shield got wedged between the head and block and didn't realize until filling with coolant), I noticed my oil filter was dry. There is little to no oil pressure in this engine. I am amazed that engine hasn't seized. The culprit is either a faulty oil pump, or a clogged oil intake pipe. I sincerely hope it's the later as I'm not looking forward to pulling the engine again.
Yeesh! I'm sorry you're having all these problems with it along with reluctantly having to welcome you to the club of people who could have really done with Jaguar fitting an oil pressure sensor to this engine. Like - how much does an oil pressure switch cost at scale? This is a car that was built and sold as a luxury vehicle with a high price tag and it blows my mind they only fit them to the V6 engines. The threaded hole is there, but on the V8 blocks it's fitted with a sealed threaded plug - my suspicion is they saw reliability issues with it being so close to the (wider) exhaust manifold on the V8, but even this seems like a bit of a cop-out. I've repurposed my engine's threaded hole with a piece of braided hose for an extension and an oil pressure sensor - see my rebuild thread for details.

If the wire mesh filter at the bottom of the oil intake pipe is completely blocked and can just be cleaned, then you will be able to achieve this by just dropping the sump extension pan but any higher than that including pump is sadly engine out time - or at least, transmission removal time

Old 01-03-2020, 12:30 PM

Yes Dave, it bemuses me that Jaguar LR fit all sorts of other sensors but for critical engine health indicators. One can even see the steering angle but can't tell what the oil pressure or temperature is. Many modern cars have done way with gauges, leaving all anomalies to be alerted via the idiot light. I saw on your thread how you installed the pressure gauge and will likely install same. The pictures of your oil pump came in handy as well as it just doesn't make sense where it it would fail. I'll reverse flush again tonight- this time with high pressure (removed the oil flow valve). Hopefully debris (it's possible that leaf was stuck to the inner walls of the oil funnel) and a lack of a oil is the culprit as I truly don't look forward to pulling this engine again. The bull bar upfront is a PIA to remove as well.