XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Tire Pressure Monitor - Revisited- sorry

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 05:54 PM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Tire Pressure Monitor - Revisited- sorry

09 non s/c 4.2
was always flawless- if monitor said frot right? it was correct. went off 5 times in 4 years- always correct.

then a month ago we had like 18 degree weather in ny- all cars has their toms going off.

i filled each one back to 35lbs all good.
then problem, i idid as someone posted- engine off- dropped all tires to 17lbs-engine on inflated to 35lbs. seemed ok for week of 2.

now when I drive in normal weather - the warning lights keeps cycling- like in a 3 min period each tire will light up - round and round then stops for an hour-almost like its continually "checking"
I'm about to put on new set of 4 tires- non jag installed- should i be changing the stems inside???
I'm out of ideas= i have a great jag mechanic - but i dont know if he can truly do electrical test- has all updated code readers BUT>>>>

any one else have this ? round and round first left then rear back and so on and they are indeed 35lbs- i had them computerized filled…..

Old 02-28-2013, 06:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Are you testing tire pressure outside in the cold or inside in a heated facility? You MUST check cold tire pressures at outdoor temperatures or allow for a difference of 1 psi for every 10 degrees F.

Another possibility is battery failure in the TPMS. They are estimated to last about five years from first activation. In the next year or so we're going to see a lot of TPMS failure complaints which are really just battery failures due to expiry of their service life. Tires older thn five years are getting dangerously close to worn out due to age , regardless of tread wear. So, this battery life was supposed to be sufficient.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:35 PM

Im testing it in the actual air its driven in.
if its 50 degrees outside its 57 where he puts air in literally on street with garage door open.
I've had all tires replaced under warranty through the years-
(best $ i spent $700)
but always by jag.
this time I'm having all 4 changed by a tire shop been there 30 years.

are u saying in each tire is a tire pressure monitor (that I know) but EACH OF THE 4 MONITOR HAVE THEIR OWN BATTERY???

OR ONE BATTERY IN THE CONTROL UNIT WHEREVER THAT IS,
WOULD LOVE TO DROP THE CAR OFF NON JAG DEALER AND SAY-
"CHANGE THE TPMS MONITOR"
I WAS IN A MAVIS STORE RECENTLY AND SAW THEY SELL THE TPMS- MAYBE I JUST GET THEM TO CHANGE ONE BATTERY IN ONE UNIT??

Old 02-28-2013, 08:59 PM
Veteran Member

Correct, each TPMS has its own battery.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:21 AM

tks - new tires going on - today- i will have the batteries changed if these guys know wha they are doing
huge tire store 30 years in business…. lets see what happens

you are good guy answering all of us

Old 03-01-2013, 06:50 AM

last - just spoke to jag dealership
they said - its either the modulator or faulty sensors
each sensor is 85.00
jaguar oem at guadin are $54,

and jag wouldn't give me the make of sensor or model # and said they "never replace batteries in the sensors

Old 03-01-2013, 08:09 AM
Veteran Member

TPMS batteries are not replaceable. You fit a new unit. Your tire guy will know what type to buy, standard Ford spec available anywhere. Always fit new TPMS to any wheel getting a new tire, just as you would have fitted a new valve stem in the past. Cheap insurance.

Old 03-01-2013, 03:50 PM

change toms every time change tire>???i had like 4-5 blowouts insured- i would bet anything jag never changed one monitor.

how can i find these monitors fast -
I doubt my tire guy carries them - they own a block bang out the tire and bye.
when i stopped in on the big guys z(mavis) they had the monitors on display

Old 03-01-2013, 05:47 PM

i called a jag dealership 150 miles away… as the guys near me are horrendous.
he thinks not the valve stems but the modulator is shot.

"if it was a faulty valve stem your system would show "check tire pressure" on that one tire

for the system to show each tire in 30 seconds intervals means modulator.
I looked at Guadin OEM parts they have
1) module
2) transmitter
3) receiver
4) tpms

flipping out

Old 03-02-2013, 03:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by jwmciti
i called a jag dealership 150 miles away… as the guys near me are horrendous.
he thinks not the valve stems but the modulator is shot.

"if it was a faulty valve stem your system would show "check tire pressure" on that one tire

for the system to show each tire in 30 seconds intervals means modulator.
I looked at Guadin OEM parts they have
1) module
2) transmitter
3) receiver
4) tpms

flipping out
Sounds to me like the module is the receiver and the tpms is the transmitter. What's up?

Old 03-02-2013, 05:27 PM
Veteran Member

The module transmits and receives as do the TPMS.

The module pings the TPMS periodically and they send their info to the module, then go back to sleep to save battery power. The module is powered by the car's electrical system.

When the module loses track of a sensor the display can go erratic.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:53 PM

per the diagram
there is a module - receiver- transmitter = 4 sensors

http://parts.warrenhenryjaguar.com/p...agramCallOut=1

Old 03-04-2013, 06:46 PM
Veteran Member

There's a left and a right transmitter (left and right brackets). I expect there are four transmitters and four receivers.

Last edited by jagular; 03-04-2013 at 06:48 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:09 PM
Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Since I just had my front end replaced, I discovered that they did not put the front receivers back in their holders inside of the bumper. They look like little tennis rackets and sit up vertically inside the bumper that have a built in snap-in brackets.. they just let them slide around in the bumper. Never would have found this out if I wasn't such a snoop.

Old 03-06-2013, 02:05 PM

now it gets better….
I get all 4 tires replaced non jag dealer.
I stop in on jag and say "every now and then all my TPMS indicators go off"
Guy at desk says I dont even have to look at it u need new modulator -
part alone $300 then install and reprogram.

I tell him i can get genuine oem from 2011 Parts - Direct JPLV Porsche Parts.com

he says they are fakes- i have friends who buy from Guadin swear they are real deal. OEM same as the dealer.

then he says go buy see who will program it for u.

All the major tire guys- Marvis- etc say - your stems are good- 90% feel they have to be reprogrammed but none of the big guys have access to jag system.
truly at my wits end.

Old 03-06-2013, 02:10 PM
Veteran Member

Jaguar TPMS do not get "reprogrammed". The module may need to have the TPMS codes manually entered. In your Owners Handbook is a description of how this TPMS system is recoded automatically. You must follow the specified procedure.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chuckh007
Since I just had my front end replaced, I discovered that they did not put the front receivers back in their holders inside of the bumper. They look like little tennis rackets and sit up vertically inside the bumper that have a built in snap-in brackets.. they just let them slide around in the bumper. Never would have found this out if I wasn't such a snoop.
I just picked up a 2009 XF and have the TPMS warning on the front passenger side tire. It is not a low pressure warning, but rather a no tire pressure detected. Before I have the sensor replaced I'd like to try and locate the receiver to verify it is properly installed. Could you help point me to it? What all do I need to remove to see it? I just performed an oil change and did a little looking, but didn't have time to get into it. Do I need to remove the plastic panel under the front bumper? Thanks in advance for the help.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:04 PM
Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I see that you quoted me.......good.....now for the good news. You only have to release the inner fender liner just enough to be able to reach in and check or place the receivers in the bumper brackets. They are along the back edge of the bumper and sit upright (vertical). https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...1&d=1363143824

Attached Thumbnails Tire Pressure Monitor - Revisited- sorry-driver-front-antenae.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
jaguny (03-14-2013)
Old 03-14-2013, 06:14 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the photos! I was able to verify the receiver was in place so I went by Discount Tire and they were able to use a scan tool to check that the TPMS sensor on that tire was no longer transmitting. I was unsure when he pulled out the tool because others have said that the tires need to be rotating for them to transmit, but the tool picked up all tires except the one at fault. New TPMS sensor installed for $60 and my warnings are gone.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:24 PM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I just had an oil change done at a local shop on my 2009 XF SC. Now i'm having the same issue. All the tires are inflated fully but I'm getting this round robin like TPMS warnings. It just keeps going between the tires constantly. Would it make any sense that in performing the oil change they loosened something (ex. the brackets mentioned above in the diagram).

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Monitor - Revisited- sorry