XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

"Tire Pressure System Fault" Message

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 05:18 PM
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Default "Tire Pressure System Fault" Message

I just bought a new set of Pirelli P7 All Season tires for my 2010 XF. Since my car is getting close to 5 years old, and the life span of the TPMS sensors is around 6 years, I thought it best to have the tire shop replace all of them now while swapping out the tires. Last January, one of the original TPMS sensors failed and the tire was leaking slowly. The tire shop replaced the sensor and I had no warning messages after driving a mile or so.

Now, after replacing the other three sensors, I'm getting all sorts or messages.

1. First, I got a message that the RR tire pressure was low right after all the tires were mounted yesterday. I checked all the pressures, and in fact they were all 4 PSI too high. I lowered the pressures, and the message went away.

2. This morning, I started the car and I got a message to "Check All Tire Pressures." I turned off the car, got out, locked up, then unlocked and the message went away.

3. Proceeded to drive around 25 miles to my destination. Parked and locked the car. Came back a few hours later, and after driving around 10 miles, got a message stating "Tire Pressure System Fault." I turned off the car, locked and unlocked a few times but I still have the message.

Is there a reset? Can pull the fuse and then put it back in after some period of time to reset? If so, which fuse and where is it.

I plan to call the tire shop tomorrow when they reopen after the weekend. I'm out of warranty, so I really don't want to go to the dealer to have them recalibrate the TPMS system or something else that's going to cost me a lot of money. Or worse, they're going to tell me that I have the wrong sensors.

Any ideas? Please help.

Old 05-11-2014, 07:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same thing happened to.me, they had to rebuild a module.
It cost me $250 at the dealer.

Old 05-12-2014, 07:22 PM

Further update:

This morning, I started the car and sure enough, I got a message stating, "Check All Tire Pressures" then "Tire Pressure System Fault" which remained on. As I was driving, I noticed a small red triangle at the bottom of the main LED screen. I pressed that and another menu popped up which read something like "See Information Screen." There also appeared a blue button that read "Clear All Messages" so I pressed that.

That caused the big red "Tire Pressure System Fault" display to go away and the digital clock display to reappear. Underneath the clock appeared a small red triangle and to the upper right, an icon of an amber wheel with an exclamation point. After I drove 1-2 miles, I noticed that those also disappeared. When I parked the car, I restarted and nothing came back.

Tonight, when I came back to the car everything was back to normal.

Let's see if it continues to be normal tomorrow morning.

Last edited by Long Islander; 05-21-2014 at 11:33 AM.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:38 AM

So now it's a week later and everything is just fine with no trips to the dealer.

For a couple of days, I did get a "Check Tire Pressure Right Rear" display only in the morning (but not again in the same day) when I first started the car, but each time it went away before I got to the end of the driveway.

Over the weekend, I checked all the pressures, and they were all exactly 36 PSI as they should be. I then tightened all the tire valves using a proper tool. I haven't gotten the warning message ever since, so all is well.

Old 05-22-2014, 01:13 PM
Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm getting intermittent "check tire pressure" for various tires. All pressures are normal, and it happens even in the Houston heat (which should increase the pressure). I'm going to take it to the dealership, but curious if anyone else has had these tire pressure sensor gremlins?

Old 05-22-2014, 07:14 PM
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by aliensporez
I'm getting intermittent "check tire pressure" for various tires. All pressures are normal, and it happens even in the Houston heat (which should increase the pressure). I'm going to take it to the dealership, but curious if anyone else has had these tire pressure sensor gremlins?
Yes get the dealer to reflash your tpms module software (under the new tsb) and that'll sort your issue

The following users liked this post:
aliensporez (05-22-2014)
Old 05-22-2014, 10:14 PM
Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by nasa25
Yes get the dealer to reflash your tpms module software (under the new tsb) and that'll sort your issue
Hey, you're from The Hammer? That's my home town! Grew up on the East Mountain and went to Mac. My mom still lives on the West Mountain.

Old 05-22-2014, 10:22 PM
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Hey, you're from The Hammer? That's my home town! Grew up on the East Mountain and went to Mac. My mom still lives on the West Mountain.
Lol nice. Small world eh.

Old 10-10-2019, 09:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey did you get this issue fixed? I am also from Houston and now getting the messages "Tire not monitored" and then "Tire Pressure System fault".

Old 10-10-2019, 01:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

this appears to be somewhat of a common issue. the error comes up for a bit and then disappears

Old 10-10-2019, 03:54 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

i had the dealer reflash the software and it fixed this issue. They indicated there was some sort of communication error from module to tire sensor...

Old 10-10-2019, 03:57 PM
Received 323 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by PJ704
Hey did you get this issue fixed? I am also from Houston and now getting the messages "Tire not monitored" and then "Tire Pressure System fault".
Check out post #6. Seems to have solved the problem.

Cheers,

Stu