XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Tire pressure system monitor

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 08:42 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I have a 2010 XF Portfolio. I started getting the low pressure warning "round robin". It has been on most of the time for the last month or so. I had Jaguar re-flash the system, but this did not correct the problem. They ran diagnostics and determined that 2 of the wheel sensors needed calibration. They explained that this establishes the acceptable pressure range for each wheel. It seems to have fixed the issue, so far. This was covered by my Jaguar Select warranty.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:06 PM
Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

My service manager called today and said they are having people bring their cars in to look at the TPMS because they are not adapting to the weather changes which I find a little strange.

Old 05-20-2015, 02:55 PM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Funny you guys mention this issue.

The weather in Chicago has been 80F this past week and today I woke up and it was 45F.

All last week and this week, I get the round' robin saying each tire's psi is low at initial startup and after about 5 minutes of driving its seems to go away. Coming out of work it has the same issue on the way home.

I thought it might be the weather changes driving the tpms module a little nuts.

Does anyone have the service bulletin info?

Old 05-20-2015, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by fabfive
Funny you guys mention this issue.

The weather in Chicago has been 80F this past week and today I woke up and it was 45F.

All last week and this week, I get the round' robin saying each tire's psi is low at initial startup and after about 5 minutes of driving its seems to go away. Coming out of work it has the same issue on the way home.

I thought it might be the weather changes driving the tpms module a little nuts.

Does anyone have the service bulletin info?
I have not had an issue yet but our temps have been consistent. I will try and take it in Friday and if they have any bulletins I will try and get the info.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:59 PM

No service bulletin they re calibrated the sensors for the warmer weather.

Old 05-23-2015, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 261 Posts

Um, tire pressure is set at relative pressure. For each 10F change the measured pressure inside the tire changes by 1psi, up as things warm up and down as things chill off.

If you do not adjust your cold tire pressures as the weather warms up or cools down your TPMS will eventually display a fault.

There is no calibration for time of year, merely physics operating as expected.

If you live where winter is severe you will come to this realization easily. Just parking your car outside instead of in a warm garage can trigger the TPMS after a few hours at minus 30.

Old 05-23-2015, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by boiler
My service manager called today and said they are having people bring their cars in to look at the TPMS because they are not adapting to the weather changes which I find a little strange.
Bizarre until you realize most owners don't understand how this works. Oddly, service reps and even mechanics sometimes do not. Even my tire expert looks a little puzzled when I ask him to "overinflate" my tires in winter as he checks the "cold" pressure in his shirtsleeves.

All that is required is to routinely check your cold tire pressures and set the pressure for the expected ambient temperature when you are driving. This has nothing to do with TPMS except to confirm why it is a stupid system which cannot work as intended as currently implemented.

It is not mandatory in canada for this reason, it cannot work when ambient temperatures while driving can vary by as much as 80F from the garage to the street in winter.

Old 05-23-2015, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by jagular
Bizarre until you realize most owners don't understand how this works. Oddly, service reps and even mechanics sometimes do not. Even my tire expert looks a little puzzled when I ask him to "overinflate" my tires in winter as he checks the "cold" pressure in his shirtsleeves.

All that is required is to routinely check your cold tire pressures and set the pressure for the expected ambient temperature when you are driving. This has nothing to do with TPMS except to confirm why it is a stupid system which cannot work as intended as currently implemented.

It is not mandatory in canada for this reason, it cannot work when ambient temperatures while driving can vary by as much as 80F from the garage to the street in winter.
I figured it was bogus I just wanted them to turn the service light off for me.

Old 05-24-2015, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member

One strange thing seems to work. Pump the tires up overpressure by about 5 psi ( not higher than the max psi on the sidewall). Go for a quick drive. Reset pressures to normal. That's worked for me on occasion and not sure why it would.

Mind you the TPMS on my '13 has worked flawlessly and with both sets of tires, my winters have the valve stems installed for my '09 and my '13 learned those codes and stored them no problem.

Old 06-05-2015, 02:51 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I had the exact same problem with the TPMS showing multiple tires with low pressures last year. Dealer did not fix on first visit--then I saw this thread https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...g-94731/page2/ and took it back to the dealer and mentioned that there was a TSB addressing this issue--they were embarrassed and apologetic for having missed that on the first visit. After the TSB was applied I have not had a single faulty alert (although I did have an accurate warning once). Its been over a year now.

The following users liked this post:
hen555 (06-05-2015)
Old 06-05-2015, 05:32 PM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

then I saw this thread Random TPMS tire low warnings when raining a
Interesting that this thread came up today because I just got a TPMS light and it said right passenger side wheel. I was scared because I just got this used car recently from jag dealer and they filled it with nitrogen. I found it weird that the gas leaked and there was no significant temperature difference to cause any expansion/deflation.

I do not have a tire pressure sensor but when pushing against the tire it seems tight. Though that is a horrible way to check if the tire is good, at least it is not deflating to fast (like a nail hole or somthing).

The coincidence is that it rained HARD before getting in my car and while getting in...possibly the lower carpet got wet as well. After driving about 30min and the rain stopped then the light came on. Shutting the car off and on then showed "Service Needed" . The tire pressure light and display go off after about a minute... is this normal ? Should it always be there ? Or is it weird that it goes away? What do you think about the "Service Needed" indication...is that just a coincidence since my car is coming near close to 80k km.

Old 06-11-2015, 05:46 PM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

"Shutting the car off and on then showed "Service Needed" . The tire pressure light and display go off after about a minute... is this normal ? Should it always be there ? Or is it weird that it goes away? What do you think about the "Service Needed" indication...is that just a coincidence since my car is coming near close to 80k km."
To answer my own issues, the service needed came up cause that was programmed for my last service under my platinum warranty. So it was a coincidence. The tire pressure light should stay on, it goes off that means something is fishy.

Anyways I took it to the dealership, they re adjusted the pressures...took it home same thing light randomly comes on indicating the passenger front wheel. Take it back, they "re calibrated the sensors", same thing....light randomly comes on. Problem is when I take it there, the light is not on and so they dont see it. I will have to take it back in which case I think they will have to replace the sensor?

It started happening after a hard raining day but now it just comes on and off, on and off...on a dry environment.

Only 1 wheel.

Old 06-12-2015, 12:34 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

mine has been going on and off all the time. When I was cleaning my air filers I noticed something laying on the bottom of my front bumper. It was the sensor for the TPS so it's just bouncing around. According to my advisor here at Penske in Scottsdale it's a known issue that these fall off due to cheap mounting hardware. I'm going in Monday to have them fix this.

Old 06-12-2015, 01:43 PM
Veteran Member

If lying in the bumper that would be a front parking sensor. I think the receivers for the front TPMS are behind each front wheel.

Old 06-12-2015, 01:51 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

well then my advisor advised me wrong lol... it's an oval-ish shape

Old 06-14-2015, 02:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The oval-ish shape are the TPMS sensors. They do fall out sometimes just set them back in the pocket and then your good.

Old 06-18-2015, 11:30 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

It appears as though bouncing around all tires showing low pressure is how the system indicates a fault. I've been fighting the issue for a while on my 2009, and it turns out that one of the sensors has gone out (driver's rear.)

A good way to tell which one, that I used, is to start the car in your driveway (during a time when the TPMS is not showing all at fault) and then drop the pressure in your tires to around 20psi. The readout should show low for that tire. It did for all of mine except the driver's rear.

Note that the batteries in TPMS are supposed to last about 5 years, after which you're on borrowed time, but will probably be looking at new sensors, or else a warning message on your dash.

Old 07-16-2015, 08:53 AM
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by nasa25
Wow that's the first I've heard of the software reflash not correcting the issue. I suppose in certain cases the module is actually faulty and needs replacement.

Honestly before you go replacing anything I'd have another dealer do the reflash again. If it doesn't work then go for the expensive fix. The rotating warning seems like it has to be a software issue. If a hardware issue were present I'd assume the tpms system would throw a fault all of the time.

Here's the follow-up on this issue. I took it to the dealer and they said the two rear sensor batteries were dead or faulty. That's surprising since I replaced all the sensors about a year ago. On the other hand, I started having this issue shortly after the tires and sensors were replaced. I told them I wasn't getting a message that said "tire pressure not monitored," but the SA said it's possible that bad sensors could trigger random TPMS fault messages like what I've been getting. Since my mechanical breakdown insurance agreed to pay for the fix, I had them replace the sensors and re-balance the tires. The bill for this portion of my repair was a whopping $500!

So, my recommendation would be to anyone who has this issue, go to a good tire shop who has the diagnostic tool. If it turns out it's the sensors, you should be done for about $85 per tire ($50 per sensor + $10 labor + $25 mounting and balancing). If it's not the sensors, then have your dealer diagnose the TPMS module.

Old 07-16-2015, 08:57 AM
Veteran Member

Did you buy OEM quality TPMS sensors of the correct type when you replaced them a year ago?

The batteries last about 5 years or so after first activation.

Old 07-16-2015, 09:12 AM
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

The sensors were provided by a tire shop who is the best in the whole county and many area dealers send their tire repair work to him. I don't know what brand he installed, but most likely it was an OEM supplier like VDO. The benefit of getting the sensors from the tire shop is that if there's an issue with the sensor, the shop will not only replace the sensor, but won't charge you for the labor involved.

For my wife's car, I had bought the tires and sensors from Tire Rack and the same shop mounted/balanced the tires and installed the sensors. I had no problems with that approach.

Quick Reply: Tire pressure system monitor