XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Torn between Jaguar XF and Maserati QP

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 03:17 PM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,168 Likes on 815 Posts

I think I'd be stuck on this thought too.
I enjoy the looks for my 04 XJR. and the S-Type.

But the XF does absolutely nothing for me. (And just to rattle it up, I think it looks like a girl's car ;-b)
As for the Maserati Quattroporte: What a looker!
And under the bonnet is pretty too. And the interior is gorgeous. Wat's wrong with Italian leather anyways?

As for maintenance, all of our toys need maintenance. Comes with the territory. If you don't like maintenance, none of these toys are for you.

Tough call. If you are that torn, get both ;-)

Cheers.

The following users liked this post:
webdev (06-08-2012)
Old 06-07-2012, 04:16 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

I like the Panamera...and so do a whole lot of others in the states. Sales seem to be climbing for the car. They've sold more in April of this year than in any previous months since the car came out. Once again--individual taste. I'm the same guy that doesn't like excess chrome and aftermarket wheels on high end European sedans.

Porsche Panamera Sales Figures - GOOD CAR BAD CAR

Old 06-07-2012, 04:35 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by webdev
Definitely helpful advice. I narrowed my decision to the '09 QP. I looked at one XFR at the same showroom. Honestly, both XF and QP are stunning to look at, however, while XF interior looks plain but QP's interior is appealing. Like jagular said, my heart is on the Maserati but my brain says XFR.

tc1728, are '09 cheaper to maintain? They don't have the F1 trans, so no clutch issues.
Never fails. Depite a great many posts that adviced against it, the OP went with their original decision anyway. I quit responding to " Which car should I get posts..." because the poster, almost always, has already made up their mind before they post up looking for advice. Nothing wrong with it I guess but sure is a waste of time for those who take the time to offer their advice. Human nature I guess. Advice is often sought but rarely taken.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:25 AM
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Dadio
Never fails. Depite a great many posts that adviced against it, the OP went with their original decision anyway. I quit responding to " Which car should I get posts..." because the poster, almost always, has already made up their mind before they post up looking for advice. Nothing wrong with it I guess but sure is a waste of time for those who take the time to offer their advice. Human nature I guess. Advice is often sought but rarely taken.
Yeah, well, it was fun anyway. I also considered a QP but went with a new XFR. Same reasons as a lot of the above posters. The QP is slow and handles poorly by comparison.

Engine note on the QP is better though, even if you put an aftermarket exhaust on the XFR. Not sure, but does the QP have a flat plane crank like a Ferrari? That would explain why the exhaust pulses sound different/better. Even if not, exhaust tuning is an art, and different tuners have different tastes. One of the best sounding exhausts I've heard in a sedan is a Tubi in an e39 M5. So exotic! Most aftermarket exhausts I've heard on XFRs sound more rumbly, like on American V8 muscle cars.

Old 06-08-2012, 05:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by jagular
You must be one of the very few people who thinks Julia Roberts' mouth is too big.....!
January Jones is nicer than JR in every way , she is just an overrated female .Same goes for Ang Jolie

Again, this is a preference thingy , I find 90's Maseratis more attractive then today's big grill ones .

Old 06-08-2012, 06:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, i've put in my offer for the QP and thus far the dealer isn't budging. It's up to him. Meanwhile, I will go out and look at some XFs.

Old 06-08-2012, 06:12 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Webdev,

Generally, I prefer my cars to proceed in the morning.

I use there term "generally" as the daily driver is the XF S/C and the garage car is a '97 DB7 Volante. The former always starts, the latter usually starts so I think this averages out to "generally".

We had the same dilemma as you The QP is lovely car especially in the dark blue over tan. Having said that, we did not want to drop the average from "generally" to "sometimes", after consulting the Maserati dealership, we went with the Jag.

Best of luck!

webdev (06-08-2012)
Old 06-08-2012, 07:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 261 Posts

Maserati QP and GT both use a bent crank version of the Ferrari V8. Only the Ferrari Italia and California get the flat crank version, and the 430, 360,355,348,328,Mondiale, and 308 before that.

Lancia fitted a bent crank version to their Thema.

webdev (06-08-2012)
Old 06-08-2012, 08:35 AM

Any major improvements on the 2011 XF Premium LUX over the 2010 XF Premium? I know both are V8 5.0. I went and saw the 2010. A 2010 is going to run me $5000 cheaper. I'm in Canada

Can I install Borla or Mina exhaust on a 2010 Premium or is it only on supercharged?

Old 06-08-2012, 02:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
I guess the "mystique" of owning a Maserati counts for something, and I have to admit I like the looks of the 2-door Maserati (although it really looks somewhat derivative of an XK8). However, whenever I see a Quattroporte there is something just "Buick-y" looking about it (I guess mostly the "port-holes"). It just doesn't quite make it styling-wise but, then again, there are hardly any 2-door based 4-door designs that look right, the most egregious example being the Panamera.

Doug
You mean the Maserati styling feature copied by Buick?

Old 06-08-2012, 02:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Well, i've put in my offer for the QP and thus far the dealer isn't budging. It's up to him. Meanwhile, I will go out and look at some XFs.
For a while I was looking for a sedan and the QP was firmly on my radar, along with the XFR. Spent some time on the internet researching reliability and ownership costs and both my heart and brain slowly agreed it was not to be. Thankfully they found complete agreement with the XKR thou!

Soon after I watched a QP doing a driving school on the Driver Development track at Mosport and enjoyed its sound. This week I saw a GT doing an event on the main track at Mosport and chatted with the owner for quite a while. They are very nice looking cars.

Good luck with your decision!

Bruce

webdev (06-08-2012)
Old 06-08-2012, 02:50 PM

Thanks for the awesome advice guys. I've been extensively searhing on XFs since yesterday. Found a good deal on 2010 XF Premium. However, I wanted to know if I can install an after market exhaust on a 2010 Premium 5.0L V8? I checked out Borla, Spires, Arden, Magnaflow and Quicksilver websites and none seem to list if they support the XF Premium?

Old 06-08-2012, 04:44 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the awesome advice guys. I've been extensively searhing on XFs since yesterday. Found a good deal on 2010 XF Premium. However, I wanted to know if I can install an after market exhaust on a 2010 Premium 5.0L V8? I checked out Borla, Spires, Arden, Magnaflow and Quicksilver websites and none seem to list if they support the XF Premium?
Check Mina...Jaguar XK8 XJ8 XKR XJR X-TYPE S-TYPE Performance Parts Upgrades and Accessories

webdev (06-08-2012)
Old 06-09-2012, 05:24 AM
Per
Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Per
Personally I love Masers but I'd go for the XF and have a classic Maser on the side. Choose e.g. a good Indy which are too expensive and which will hold it's value as long as it is pampered.
There was a "not" going AWOL in there ....

Old 07-17-2012, 12:45 PM

Thanks for the all the input on my thread guys. I ended up going with a QP. Some pics included.

Attached Thumbnails Torn between Jaguar XF and Maserati QP-dsc02625.jpg   Torn between Jaguar XF and Maserati QP-dsc02628.jpg   Torn between Jaguar XF and Maserati QP-dsc02638.jpg   Torn between Jaguar XF and Maserati QP-dsc02651.jpg   Torn between Jaguar XF and Maserati QP-dsc02635.jpg  

Last edited by webdev; 07-17-2012 at 02:22 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Very nice and Congratulations!

How do you like it?

Old 07-17-2012, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Executive
Very nice and Congratulations!

How do you like it?
Drive solid. Very responsive. I did 150 KM on highway. Felt it was planted to the ground firmly. Thou the steering is very soft. Had to hold tight it with both hands..lol

Old 07-17-2012, 05:55 PM
Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Looks great, love the carbon fiber trim. I would lower it on some FD springs, but that's just my preference. Not sure if you have stock exhaust of not, but I have some muffler delete pipes with fabspeed style tips for sale. Makes the Maserati engine sound even more amazing and the tips look great also. I see that you have made your way to maseratilife also, I some some pics of my set-up on that forum if you are interested. Congrats again on the new QP. TC

Last edited by tc1728; 07-17-2012 at 06:08 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by tc1728
Looks great, love the carbon fiber trim. I would lower it on some FD springs, but that's just my preference. Not sure if you have stock exhaust of not, but I have some muffler delete pipes with fabspeed style tips for sale. Makes the Maserati engine sound even more amazing and the tips look great also. I see that you have made your way to maseratilife also, I some some pics of my set-up on that forum if you are interested. Congrats again on the new QP. TC
hey thanks TC. Replied to you on the other forum.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:54 PM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,168 Likes on 815 Posts

Well done! But what about getting both?? ;-)

Quick Reply: Torn between Jaguar XF and Maserati QP