XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Torn on purchase: 2009 XF Supercharged vs 2010 XF Premium - here's why

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 07:02 PM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Torn on purchase: 2009 XF Supercharged vs 2010 XF Premium - here's why

Hi all,

I am looking to pick up a 2009 Supercharged or a 2010 Premium...

The 09 very well can be a CPO, so the 1 year newer / more warranty is not really in consideration.

You see the numbers and the 09 has 35 more hp... but after reading this article:

2010 Jaguar XF 5.0 Premium - Short Take Road Test - Auto Reviews - Car and Driver

I am really torn. Are there any mods that you can do to the supercharged version?

What about handling and ride?

Exhaust tones?

Is the 2010 premium really .1 less in 2 things and .1 better in the other?

I would love for anyone to chime in who has drove in both. Thanks!

and the 2010 Supercharged is out of my price range right now - so that is a no go.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:35 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

At one point I was focused on getting an XKR... I started out focusing on an '07 but when the '10's came out, I thought of going w/ a plan XK for a similar reason... Wierd I ended up w/ an XF Supercharged right!

Basically I got the bigger motor in a newer styled car w/ the full wty... So I went w/ the '11. I didn't notice a huge difference in ride per sea between the R and Non R cars (XKR vs XK & XFR vs XF)... I mean the supercharged cars obviously have more HP and features (plus some exclusivity). But in the real world how much do you really use that power.... OK I take that back I use that all the time... But how long will I get away w/ it w/out loosing my license!
I mean that exhaust tone when you're winding it out is a drug that you cannot do w/out every time you take it for a ride. I usually have at least 1 episode per outing!

Anyway, it really depends on a ton of factors. Budget, the quality of the cars you're looking at etc.

BTW - I actually thought the non supercharged cars had a better exhaust note than the R. I heard somewhere that they tubed in exhaust notes from the engine compartment to get the sound. and that was not done on the R's. I don't know how true that is but I definitely felt the non R's had a better exhaust note.

I hope my babble helps in your decision!

Either way you'll have an awesome car!

Old 07-07-2011, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by UltBlkXF
At one point I was focused on getting an XKR... I started out focusing on an '07 but when the '10's came out, I thought of going w/ a plan XK for a similar reason... Wierd I ended up w/ an XF Supercharged right!

Basically I got the bigger motor in a newer styled car w/ the full wty... So I went w/ the '11. I didn't notice a huge difference in ride per sea between the R and Non R cars (XKR vs XK & XFR vs XF)... I mean the supercharged cars obviously have more HP and features (plus some exclusivity). But in the real world how much do you really use that power.... OK I take that back I use that all the time... But how long will I get away w/ it w/out loosing my license!
I mean that exhaust tone when you're winding it out is a drug that you cannot do w/out every time you take it for a ride. I usually have at least 1 episode per outing!

Anyway, it really depends on a ton of factors. Budget, the quality of the cars you're looking at etc.

BTW - I actually thought the non supercharged cars had a better exhaust note than the R. I heard somewhere that they tubed in exhaust notes from the engine compartment to get the sound. and that was not done on the R's. I don't know how true that is but I definitely felt the non R's had a better exhaust note.

I hope my babble helps in your decision!

Either way you'll have an awesome car!

Thanks for the reply. I am leaning toward the 09... better color combo I like.

Also, I saw that I can infact mod the car. I can put a pulley in the 09 giving 25 or so whp more... That would make the car a decent amount quicker than the XF Premium.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 261 Posts

It is the intake noise that is tubed into the cabin for those poor souls that think sound makes a car go faster.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:11 PM
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I think you've answered your own question but if you're still torn, the thing to do is drive them both and then decide. Nuances of driving feel can't be conveyed by numbers/stats alone. I've driven plenty of cars that on paper many would consider underpowered, and some that have high HP ratings but were terrible to drive (because of things like poor throttle response, or something (not saying any of the cars you are considering suffer this at all).

Old 07-07-2011, 10:50 PM

a

Last edited by jackals; 09-09-2011 at 03:32 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:05 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an 09 s/c and had a 11 perm as a loaner from dealership... No comparison I feel. I'll tKe my 09 all day! plus, the color combo is important. You have to look and sit in the car everyday!

Old 07-08-2011, 07:19 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For me it would be an easy choice, I would go for the 2010 unless the price difference was too great. Similar performance numbers and one year newer so depreciation would be a bit better. Although this isn't every case, but people tend to stay away from the initial year release because there are usually kinks that need to be worked out. The jaguar is no different but then again there are many people with 09's with no issues. The 2010 still has plenty of warranty, plus if you wanted to get an extended warranty, the 2010 would be much cheaper. Just my opinion.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:26 AM

I appreciate all the replies already.

I am going to drive the 09 today

-- Question... can anyone look 3/4 of the way down and tell me what it is that the service records are stating.

Looks like 3 "repairs" for the same issue within 3k miles and just a couple months... or is that something else?

Old 07-08-2011, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by jackals
I appreciate all the replies already.

I am going to drive the 09 today

-- Question... can anyone look 3/4 of the way down and tell me what it is that the service records are stating.

Looks like 3 "repairs" for the same issue within 3k miles and just a couple months... or is that something else?
Just a guess, but probably a problem with the Tire Pressure Monitoring System. Maybe a bad sensor that was intermittent and hard to track down because of need to remove tire and re-balance each time.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same choice and picked the '09 XF S/C.

Love it. It's awesome.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:13 PM

Hey guys, what do you think?

19,811 miles on a fully loaded 09 Supercharged. 20" wheels (haven't seen many of them, see pic attached), heated steering wheel, nav, ac/vented seats, wood door,dash, etc.

I think it has every option.

Car is near perfect shape, 1 tiny rock chip on hood, and scratch on door handle. I am a picky SOB and these are the only flaws, interior is 9.8 out of 10 and id give exterior a solid 9.

Car has NO paintwork and no accidents.

Good or bad or average?

Pic of wheels:

Last edited by jackals; 09-09-2011 at 03:33 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:04 PM

Sounds reasonable to me. A quick look at Autotrader shows asking prices a bit higher for similar cars or around the same but with more mileage on them. Realize that "asking" isn't the same as "getting," but it gives you ballpark. I don't know if "certified" used is worth any more or not but generally such cars provide slightly longer warranty (with deductibles) than just picking up remainder of normal warranty.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:06 AM

If that's an 09, then it is not the standard wheels. Those are like mine which is a 2011 Supercharged.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by jlindy
If that's an 09, then it is not the standard wheels. Those are like mine which is a 2011 Supercharged.

They were an accessory 20" wheel if you go to jaguars site.

Called SELENA

Old 07-13-2011, 03:48 PM

Given a choice of similar price and performance, I would suggest going with Naturally Aspirated engine, rather than Super/Turbo-charged.

I'm sure Jagular would agree

On a personal note, I only drove a 5.0L N/A car and I can't imagine a 4.2 S/C being noticeably quicker, especially considering that Car and Driver tests yelded basically similar results for both models.

Old 07-13-2011, 03:49 PM

oh, one more thing: with 2010 you will likely get Free Maintenance, which I'd say is important

Old 07-14-2011, 09:32 AM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Saahov
oh, one more thing: with 2010 you will likely get Free Maintenance, which I'd say is important
I don't think the free maintenance program came along until the 2011s.

Owning an 09 SC and having driving 10 and 11 Premiums as loaners, I'd agree that that 09 SC is not noticeably quicker. It does however "feel" sportier. The different weighting of the steering and tuning of the suspension are noticeable. If I were shopping right now, it'd be a close call. The extra year of warranty may be worth more than the sportier feel.

Old 07-14-2011, 03:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are other technical advantages in an 09 SC vs a '10 premium. These may be trivial or not, depending on how you feel about them. I'm basing this on the '09 brochure so it's possible a few of these things appeared in the premium model in '10:

CATS suspension
JaguarDrive dynamic mode
rear camera (though it's available on premium as an option)
20" volana wheels
heated and cooled front seats (available but not standard on premium)
front parking aid
16-way (driver) and 12-way (passenger) power front seats (10-way in premium)
premium front and rear floor mats
SIRIUS satellite radio (optional for premium)
Bowers & Wilkins 440W surround sound w/ 6 disc in-dash CD changer (optional for premium)
remote amplifier

Basically, all SC versions are "fully loaded", the only optional item left at that package level is the adaptive cruise control.

Personally, I love the sound system, dynamic mode, and CATS so I know which I'd choose, or rather which I DID choose because I faced the same decision about 8 months ago. I'd say CATS is probably the technical name for "feels sportier". Dynamic mode helps too, one key thing it does is change the throttle response so it feels more sensitive.

Old 07-14-2011, 04:16 PM

Oh, I completely forgot about the difference between Premium and Luxury. Yes, these options are terrific!

Quick Reply: Torn on purchase: 2009 XF Supercharged vs 2010 XF Premium - here's why