XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

TPMS Fault

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2021, 11:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 XF TPMS won't reset

2009 XF supercharged.
I don't know if this is off topic or not, but I have been getting "Check all tire pressures" warning on the dash display after replacing the two front sensors (aftermarket). After they were installed I tried the procedure in the workshop manual, after which I got the normal low pressure warning for the two front tires. So then I tried the service function in an iCarSoft LRV3.0 for replacing TPMS sensors, it has you manually enter the serial number of the sensors. Its after that when I got the "Check all tire pressures" warning and it won't go away. Then I tried SDD v130, and later SDD V143, they have the same function as the iCarSoft unit, and the results were the same.

So if the workshop manual is correct and the TPMS module automatically re-learns the sensor ids after driving, why would SDD have a feature for manually entering the id's?

Old 12-11-2021, 11:01 AM

Update - I used SDD V143 today to download a software update into the TPMS module, all the messages from SDD as it progressed looked good. But there has been no change, I still am getting "Check all tire pressures" in the dash display.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-11-2021, 02:27 PM
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

I just got tpms fault. I plugged in the the jag software and I’m pretty sure I need a new sensor. Anyone have any luck with aftermarket sensors is the best option still oem?

Old 12-11-2021, 02:33 PM
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

I have tried several aftermarket with inconsistent results. Some days they work and others they don't. Only had 100% luck with OEM to date. Might look at updating antennas and module if it keeps bugging me like it has.

The following users liked this post:
Oxidizer2k (12-13-2021)
Old 12-12-2021, 11:19 PM
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

One of the many parts on this car that are unofficially required to be OEM.

Old 12-13-2021, 07:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,489 Likes on 1,950 Posts

I replaced all 4 of mine with a cheap $30 set of 4 from China off EBay. Discount Tire checked them before installation and they all were responding. Had the TPMS light when I got the car back. In about 10-15 miles it went out and has been fine since then. The TPMS system like almost every part on your car it is NOT made by Jaguar! All cars use a small handful of suppliers.

Get the correct frequency for your area.

Old 12-13-2021, 07:58 AM
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth1
I replaced all 4 of mine with a cheap $30 set of 4 from China off EBay. Discount Tire checked them before installation and they all were responding. Had the TPMS light when I got the car back. In about 10-15 miles it went out and has been fine since then. The TPMS system like almost every part on your car it is NOT made by Jaguar! All cars use a small handful of suppliers.

Get the correct frequency for your area.
That is great news, I wish I had your luck and I see others didn't have issues as well.

I bought 2 sets from Ebay, one from Aliexpress and a set from the local NAPA dealership and the latest set from Rockauto for my winter rims. They would work for a week or two, one set from Aliexpress lasted for nearly 2 months then stop for a few months only to work again in March. This is why the next step is to see if it is a connection, part or temp issue as they are all working according to the shop and my MK808TS while in a heated garage as I don't like leaving them outside when it gets below -40 Celsius and I really don't like playing with stuff outside when it gets that cold.

Last spring I had to replace 2 units off my original rims on the 2010 so I grabbed from the dealership because I required them now and got my shop to install (Tires/Tyres on rims are the one thing I don't like installing). These are working great without an issue all summer.

Not living in Europe, they will have to be 315MHz which is the first thing I confirm with both TPSM and FOB prior to purchase, as mentioned before, they were working and confirmed at install then would stop intermittently.

Oh well, if this is my big issue then I count myself lucky.

Kevin

Old 12-13-2021, 08:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,489 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Yes I have read all the problems too and I am sure everyone did have those problems. I just went thru this again on a completely different vehicle. 2014 Ford F-150 throwing TPMS error. Got 4 cheap ones on EBay. This time one did show bad at Discount Tire. Vendor on EBay sent me another one no charge. It tested fine and was installed. Again a TPMS light that went out in about 10-15 miles before I got the truck home.

One thing that I can't get an answer on is these things are not repairable and eventually the battery's die from old age at 7-10 years. Note Discount Tire now recommends replacement after 5 years whether they are bad or not. They have had way too many TPMS failures after changing tires. But if this is the case why don't the TPMS have dates on them so you can tell? Maybe they do and it's in some kind of code?

So be very suspicious of buying used TPMS as the age is unknown.

Old 12-14-2021, 09:12 AM

2nd update on "Check all tire pressures":

Discovered that this message is normal when more than two sensors either detect low pressure or have a fault. Turns out one of the two aftermarket (eBay) sensors that I had installed was defective, one of the tires with the old sensors had low air pressure, and I hadn't driven far or fast enough for the other new sensor to be "learned." The relearn procedure in the manual had not worked, it wasn't until I drove 30 miles at 65 mph that the system learned the new sensor.

Although one of the sensors I bought was bad, they are so much cheaper than buying from a dealer ($50 for a set of 4) that I'm okay with this. The ones I bought are stamped with the Continental logo (Continental was the OEM manufacturer for the 2009 XF) and also have a Jaguar part number stamped on them.