XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Tpms maladies (yet again)

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2023, 07:04 AM
Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Tpms maladies (yet again)

Hi everyone.

Car is a 2014 Sportbrake (UK). Originally fitted with 17" Ursa alloys with the optional (at that time) TPMS system - all worked fine. System operates on 433Mhz. Fitted 19" alloys with new 'Continental' (JLR) tyre valves/sensors. Since doing so the car ran fine (no dash lights etc) for around 50 miles then yellow warning triangle appears on dash stating 'Tyre Pressure System Fault'. Ah well, I thought, if I follow the official 'learning' cycle (drive at least 50 non-stop miles above 12mph) the warning light should go out - actually drove around 70 miles but light stayed on and has continued to do so despite long trips. Yes, I know that I can extinguish the warning triangle using the central screen (every time I start the engine) but that's not ideal, especially as the MOT (yearly safety check in the UK) is due next month and such warning is a failure. Since changing wheels I have sold the original Ursa ones so I can't even put those on just for the MOT !!
There seem to be differing opinions on the forums regarding this matter - some say that the 'learning' procedure is all that's required - others state that the 'new' sensor ID numbers need to be entered into the cars system using SDD. I do have an iCarsoft i930 handheld code reader and this shows a fault for each individual wheel so it would appear that the valves are not communicating with the cars electronic module. I was able to ascertain that the ID numbers show up on the iCarsoft code reader (each starting with code 9C******). Other owners (and sensor sellers) state that new sensors are despatched in 'sleep mode' and need to be activated. With that in mind I have purchased an Autel TS408, which is specifically for TPMS systems (including activation). This is a really useful tool as all cars produced since 2015 MUST have TPMS. When placed against the individual valves the device tells you the pressure (Kpa or Psi), the temperature of air inside tyre and whether the voltage of internal valve battery is OK. All of my fitted valves transmitted the correct figure, including the ID number for each of them (each starting with OCC*****). The observant amogst you will notice that those numbers are different to those showing on my iCarsoft (which plugs into the OBD port on the car).. The car is obviously looking for those original valves/sensors and, as it cannot find them, the warning is triggered.
The Autel unit also has the ability to program new sensors with the original valve codes using a keyboard (fantastic idea, or so I thought). I tried doing so using one of the 9C****** codes but it was unable to do so - would appear that the Continental (JLR) sensors are probably not re-programmable - whereas some after-market ones (including Autel supplied ones) are. So, that's where I am now.
My question to those within this forum with more knowledge than me in these matters is - if I use SDD (which,as I write, my son-in-law is putting onto my old laptop) can I, a) Delete the TPMS system, seeing as my car is a 2014 model and was an option and not a legal requirement and, b) Is it a straightforward thing to enter the new sensor ID numbers on SDD and, if so, has anyone done so and can it be done without going into 'Engineering' mode (which I believe is not straightforward).
Any input/advice would be most welcome.

Old 07-09-2023, 09:24 AM
Received 135 Likes on 112 Posts

Looking forward to solutions. Mine threw the same code after switching from Auriga's to Caravela's. Same size, same 315hz sensors. Dealer said they were able to communicate with the TPMS module but could not get it to make the light go out. I mentioned that sometimes the system is looking for a fifth wheel (spare) and that had to be coded with all 0's in the address but SDD was not looking for a fifth wheel in my case. They suggested that as I had a water egress previously that the module might be unhappy, wanted 1.5 hours plus $340 for the module replacement. I declined as I already had a hole in the carpet under the seat. Bought a new module from Palm Beach for $204 and it took 7 seconds for me to swap them, had my buddy with a Maxi TPMS check and program the existing sensors into the new module. The light blinked but came back on. We went for a small test drive and the light didn't go out until he backed out of the module and started poking around at the other codes I had (my seat module isn't happy because it's an R seat from a 2010 and the burned in VIN doesn't match) The dealership made my SRS light go out by replacing the R's occupancy sensor with my old one. With the light out we thought we were good until the next day's start up. Light came on immediately. The Autel says the TPMS module isn't talking to the HVAC module so my buddy thinks I have some CAN bus issues elsewhere.

Old 07-10-2023, 06:59 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I’ve been through this minefield before. In my case, I had to eventually get sensors which were a match for the year of the car and not just the model
Good luck!

Old 07-10-2023, 09:45 AM

That makes sense in a completely JLR stupidity kind of way. I’ll see if my Jag Parts guy comes up with a unique part number for my ‘09.

Old 07-13-2023, 04:29 PM

My light is out.

Had my current boss who was a JLR level 4 tech before he was a service manager (we now repair boats) look for an old copy of SDD. He has one but no WIN 7 to run it on. So we hooked up our Autel to see what we could. TPMS module wasn’t there. At all. He said “it’s like it isn’t even hooked up” so I moved the seat up and forward and checked the two connectors. (I have a hole in the carpet so I can keep an eye out for water in the floor boards). Light went out and then back on. Checked individual pins and the gray with orange pin in the green connector was half way pulled out. I shoved it back in and the light went out. Pulled it out and the light went on. So when the tech swapped out the occupancy module in the passenger seat he must have pulled the wire out.

Check your pins!

Old 07-14-2023, 03:50 AM

Thank you both for your input. When removing the old 17" wheels and replacing them with 19" plus new sensors nothing else was touched (ie - modules etc) so I think I can probably dismiss that idea. As I said in my original post it appears that the car still believes that the original sensors are in position and, therefore it's looking for them. One thought that I had was that perhaps the initiator for the rear nearside (left rear) was faulty as I found that if I removed and then replaced the TPMS fuse (F32 in boot) and before the large amber triangle appeared on the dash (whilst supposedly going through the driving/learning process) I get a low pressure warning on dash for the left rear wheel. As a result I swapped over the left rear and right rear initiators. Took fuse out and replaced once again but alas it still shows low pressure on left rear (that is, until the large 'FAULT' symbol appears once again). My thought is that the low pressure is perhaps from the original wheels and is stored in the TPMS memory ???? Mt next step is to use SDD to either disable the system (if possible) or enter the ID for the new sensors one by one (Unfortunately I'm still waiting for my son-in-law to install the program on my old laptop). In the meantime I'll simply have to live with the warning and do regular pressure checks manually.

Old 07-16-2023, 05:09 AM

UPDATE: Pleased to report that the problem appears to have been sorted. My son-in-law managed to load SDD (V138) into my laptop and, having gone into 'Service Functions' I was able to locate the TPMS options. Once there I was then able to enter the four ID codes for the new sensors. This was immediately accepted by the car's module and the warning triangle and small warning symbol extinguished. A quick check showed no DTC's fot the system. I will now take the car for a good drive in order that the 'Learning Procedure' can do its job. So, fingers crossed, all should be good for the MOT next month. Hope this info helps other XF owners - despite all the well-intentioned advice it would appear that if you replace all sensors then it is necessary to use SDD to allow the car communicate. V138 of SDD is only good for Jaguar cars 2012-2015 so if/when I change my current car I will probably have to get the later version of the program. I would definitely advise any XF owner to invest in such a program, as less and less things are possible on a DIY basis without same.

Old 07-17-2023, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,476 Likes on 1,944 Posts

I replaced all 4 TPMS on my 2014 XJR without using SDD. Discount tire could read them and after 20-30 miles of driving the light went out and things are still working fine.
These were a $30 for 4 Chinese sensors.