XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

TPMS SYSTEM FAULT after a week of new TPMS Sensors

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 11:50 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default TPMS SYSTEM FAULT after a week of new TPMS Sensors

Hello Friends, I recently installed new AfterMarket Regitar TPMS Sensors for new wheels/tires on my Jag. These TPMS sensors are pre-programmed for Jags. They worked fine for a week. Today, TPMS SYSTEM FAULT light came on and wont go away.

I spent 150 bucks for these sensors online and another 50 bucks for local tire shop to install them on wheels. Seems like a ripoff. Do you guys think one of the sensor or sensors went bad on me ? its only been a week.

Thanks,
Teegur

Last edited by tiger_reddy; 08-23-2016 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 08-23-2016, 01:04 PM
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

These cars are just very sensitive with TPMS. I went through 3 sets before I found ones that worked. Even then, the light comes on every so often for a few minutes and then goes away. I know my cars TPMS system is fine, because I have two sets of wheels, the original ones with the original TPMS, and my new (OEM XFRS) wheels with OEM replacement TPMS. The sensors I got are branded JLR, and regardless they don't work perfectly.

The following 2 users liked this post by jagwower:
Onedark1 (08-23-2016), tiger_reddy (08-23-2016)
Old 08-23-2016, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by jagwower
These cars are just very sensitive with TPMS. I went through 3 sets before I found ones that worked. Even then, the light comes on every so often for a few minutes and then goes away. I know my cars TPMS system is fine, because I have two sets of wheels, the original ones with the original TPMS, and my new (OEM XFRS) wheels with OEM replacement TPMS. The sensors I got are branded JLR, and regardless they don't work perfectly.
The old oem ones on old wheels used to work fine all the time wihout ever showing TPMS FAULT ERROR. Is it AfterMarket TPMS sensors that have this problem ?

Last edited by tiger_reddy; 08-23-2016 at 04:38 PM.
Old 08-23-2016, 04:51 PM
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I went through two sets of "approved" aftermarket TPMS which did not work. The third set is OEM JLR stamped TPMS. They work, but every once in a while, the TPMS fault message will come on for a few seconds to a few minutes, then disappear. The system is just very sensitive to the sensors you use. The new ones I have are probably a different revision from the original 6 year old ones I have in the original wheels.

The following users liked this post:
tiger_reddy (08-23-2016)
Old 08-23-2016, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by jagwower
I went through two sets of "approved" aftermarket TPMS which did not work. The third set is OEM JLR stamped TPMS. They work, but every once in a while, the TPMS fault message will come on for a few seconds to a few minutes, then disappear. The system is just very sensitive to the sensors you use. The new ones I have are probably a different revision from the original 6 year old ones I have in the original wheels.
Thanks a lot, bud for the info. I really appreciate it. Also, That's a really cute dog in your avatar

Last edited by tiger_reddy; 08-24-2016 at 06:37 AM.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

Yes - this is a very common issue. My winter tyres with OeM sensors are perfect. The summer ones with aftermarket have this same intermittent issue
I asked my dealer and they see it all the time. Advice is to buy OEM sensors. Of course even then they might throw a fault occasionally but that's much rarer

You can clear the fault with a jag code reader if it's irritating.

tiger_reddy (08-25-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 09:02 AM

Yesterday I started car TPMS Fault disappeared on its own. It seems the Jag receiver has problem Interpreting the signal from aftermarket sensors bcoz i had these TPMS sensors scanned all were good and had full battery life. Apparently, there is set of codes these aftermarket sensors go thru before Jag receiver interprets signal correctly.

Old 08-25-2016, 08:21 PM
Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

Are you using a phone power adapter? Some of them interfere with the wireless connection. If you are, try unplugging it or using a different one.

tiger_reddy (08-26-2016)
Old 08-26-2016, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by mghirsch
Are you using a phone power adapter? Some of them interfere with the wireless connection. If you are, try unplugging it or using a different one.
The TPMS FAULT showed up again this morning. It's an intermittent thing
No phone charger/adapter but I am using the aux wire to my iPhone for music from the stock aux plug in the hand-rest area. It's a wired connection. Bluetooth is turned off also. It's an interesting pattern when it comes on and goes

Last edited by tiger_reddy; 08-26-2016 at 11:47 AM.
Old 08-27-2016, 07:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

Yes - intermittent. I get mine about on about once a month or so, sometimes for a few hours and sometimes for a couple of days. Can use code reader to make it disappear straight away
It's only some sensors - on mine it says front right and back right

Old 09-24-2016, 04:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had all kinds of issues with my TPMS sensors. The dealer attributed it to my use of a PNY USB battery pack. So the commmnt about phone chargers being an issue may be on track.

Will I have an issue in using non dealer purchased tires (rubber) or is the TPMS issue discussed here only relevant to purchasing non OEM wheels?

Old 09-24-2016, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by originalsnuffy
I had all kinds of issues with my TPMS sensors. The dealer attributed it to my use of a PNY USB battery pack. So the commmnt about phone chargers being an issue may be on track.

Will I have an issue in using non dealer purchased tires (rubber) or is the TPMS issue discussed here only relevant to purchasing non OEM wheels?
I had an issue with mine when the phone was charging. Got a new charger, and all is well.

This issue has nothing to do with tires. Jist the sensors in the wheels. If you get aftermarket wheels and they bring the original sensors over, you shouldn't have any issues you weren't having prior.

Old 09-25-2016, 05:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 498 Likes on 297 Posts

I'm a little late to this discussion, but I'll share my $0.02 worth....

About 4 years ago, my 2009 XF went from "summer cruiser" to year-round driver. At that point, a set of winter wheels/snow tires was procured. Since I bought the wheels one place, and the tires at a second, mounting, balancing, and obtaining the TPMS was up to me.

I was working part time for Advance Auto Parts, at the time, so I bought the TPMS there, as I got an employee discount on them. They were the Dorman Parts brand. Long story short, the Dorman sensors simply would not work with the car. I was involved in a discussion with the Dorman tech people, they informed me that they were having "technical difficulties" with their sensors being recognized by the car, and they exchanged the sensors with OE Jaguar sensors, which have worked as expected.

Old 09-28-2016, 10:00 PM
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Tiger, I had a problem with TPMS fault showing up approx. every six weeks right after I bought new tires and had the tire shop install aftermarket sensors. After almost two years of dealing with this, I went back to the tire shop and he said he has more problems with Jaguar and Land Rover sensors than any other brand. He replaced them with Jaguar OEM sensors and no problem since. Unfortunately, that is the only solution to your TPMS fault problem.

Old 07-22-2018, 02:23 AM
Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

(Wrong thread - deleted)