XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Transmission Fluid Change on XF SC - Possible?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 06:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate how they decided to seal it - on my 02 X-type 3.0 its the same thing. I ended up having to drop the radiator to change the alternator, and disconnected the transmission cooler in the process (Thinking i could re-fil it easily). Luckily i only lost a few drops of the fluid, but when i went to check the level, i could not find the dipsitck. Did some research and found out it was sealed. I think thats a horrible idea. If the transmission cooler were to rust out, the fluid would leak everywhere, and make it a pain in the butt to add some "On the go" - which realistically you wouldnt - since its cost soo much $$$$ .. But thats my 2 cents..

Old 04-04-2012, 08:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

The most common cause of transmission failure is contamination. Sealed transmissions make perfect sense.

Engines create dirt and need oil changes. Transmissions, especially automatics, require no servicing or oil changes. The torque converter is the only source of oil degradation and in the ZF the torque converter is locked out 90% of the time.

The following users liked this post:
sparkenzap (12-31-2013)
Old 12-31-2013, 05:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Filter?

After reading through this, i have decided i am going to change the oil on my ZF box. I called the dealer to get the prices for the pan seal and the filter, they advised £18 for the seal but could not see any filters? Any ideas? Does anyone happen to have a part number for the filter? I considered a partial oil change if i cant find the filter. Just dropping the oil to the bottom plug then refilling to the top plug as i have done with many vehicles before.

Old 12-31-2013, 06:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,531 Likes on 3,941 Posts

If it's the plastic pan then filter is integral. Dealers are not the places to go. Refill must be car level, within temp range and engine running. See Reverend Sam's video, S-Type forum and Oil change kit for 6HP26/28/32

Old 12-31-2013, 02:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Jagular:
You are beating the proverbial dead horse. Car enthusiast who frequent forums all know so much more about lubrication than any automotive engineer or lubrication professional. Just ask them!

And... the logic is always a joke too... I changed my fluid and my tranny lasted 100,000 miles or more. Or, My neighbor did not change his fluid and he only got 90,000 miles on his transmission.

Transmission oil and engine oil are the arguments with no chance of changing any one's mind AFAI can tell.

Old 02-04-2014, 03:16 PM
Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jagular
The most common cause of transmission failure is contamination. Sealed transmissions make perfect sense.

Engines create dirt and need oil changes. Transmissions, especially automatics, require no servicing or oil changes. The torque converter is the only source of oil degradation and in the ZF the torque converter is locked out 90% of the time.
Bump

I don't mean to be disrespectful, but you so clearly don't know what you are talking about.

Well really alot of people on here don't.

Why do people insist on taking their armchair guesses and try and pass it off as fact?

From your manufacturer.

ZF Parts | The oil change procedure

ZF automatic transmissions are filled with specially developed oils. At very high operating temperatures, the oil ages faster than under normal conditions. Depending on the driving style (e.g., many trips at high speeds or sporty driving), ZF recommends a transmission oil change every 80 000 to 120 000 km, or after 8 years at the latest.

Old 11-19-2019, 10:08 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello I know old thread maybe anyone can chime in, I have a 2011 XJL 5.0 and looking to drain all the transmission fluid and add filter. I'm assuming there is no dipstick so i will measure everything that comes out and refill the same, is there maybe a drain plug on the pan or just drop the pan and make a complete mess?,, Any hints would be appreciated.

Old 11-20-2019, 07:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 354 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Bri's Jag
Hello I know old thread maybe anyone can chime in, I have a 2011 XJL 5.0 and looking to drain all the transmission fluid and add filter. I'm assuming there is no dipstick so i will measure everything that comes out and refill the same, is there maybe a drain plug on the pan or just drop the pan and make a complete mess?,, Any hints would be appreciated.
Find a shop manual for your car and follow it carefully before you screw everything up.

Old 11-20-2019, 08:34 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well there's a qualified uplifting and positive response I thank you for your input in stating the obvious, I'll definitely be sure to obtain a manual should I screw everything up I love a challenge.

Old 11-20-2019, 09:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 354 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Bri's Jag
Well there's a qualified uplifting and positive response I thank you for your input in stating the obvious, I'll definitely be sure to obtain a manual should I screw everything up I love a challenge.
The truth hurts, but you'll be a better man for it.

Old 11-21-2019, 08:47 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

I'm sure it's very similar to what was necessary on the S-Type 4.2s. It's a bitch, so I had a non-dealer shop do it for me.
You're right there's no dip stick. The process for the S-Type was to get a complete kit directly from ZF containing both the special ATF along with a plastic cover and an electronic component that needed to be replaced inside the transmission.
The procedure is awful, put the car up on jack stands, remove the transmission cover (after removing the belly pan), follow the instructions for replacing the electronic component (must be done very carefully...), install new plastic cover.

Now remove the plug on the driver's side of the trans itself. Start poring in the ATF that comes in the kit. Stop when it starts running out of the open plug hole. Then start the car and WARM the engine/trans. When the engine is fully warmed, get back under the car, while the engine is running (...:-0), and complete filling the trans by adding ATF until it starts to run out.

The hard part is that the open hole is about 3 inches from an exhaust down pipe, so you have to work around that pipe to continue adding fluid. Since the engine is now not only running to fully warmed up, the exhaust pipe will be about 500 degrees and your hand will be inches away from it.
Be warned, but the good news is that the ZF transmission is used by EVERYBODY, so any experienced shop will have done that on BMWs, Audis, ...
Look for a shop
================================================== =
You dreamed of a big star -
He played a mean guitar -
He loved to drive his Jaguar...

So welcome to the machine

Old 06-16-2021, 12:59 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey shipmates,

I've got a new-to-me 2011 XF 5.0, and it seems to have lived a pretty tough life before I got hold of it. While I can't necessarily say that I'm going to nice to it in the long run, I at least want to give it a chance at a long life. Therefore, I'm resurrecting this thread and looking to do a trans fluid change. The CTSC website seems to be "temporarily out of order," but I can't see any estimated time to repair. I've found a couple of sites that offer bits and pieces of the pan change, such as

https://zftranspart.mypinnaclecart.com/

and

https://www.transmissionpartsdistributors.com/

But nobody has a "total package" deal. Specifically, the trans pan bolts appear to be hard to find.

Anyone have any other thoughts, other than

https://www.thectsc.com/

Thanks much!

Old 06-16-2021, 09:00 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Old 06-16-2021, 10:55 AM

While you are there I would replace the trans mount. I have and it makes a gigantic difference.
No more hesitation, small as it may have been...

Last edited by gumby7734; 06-17-2021 at 08:42 AM.
Old 06-17-2021, 07:37 AM

FCP, huh? I never thought to check a BMW site, but that's fair.

Originally Posted by gumby7734
While you are there I would replace the trans mount. I have and it makes a gigantic difference.
Not a bad plan. I don't suppose FCP has that as well (I don't see any Jag Xmission mounts), so where did you get yours? Or maybe a part number?

Thanks! FCP order in...

Old 06-17-2021, 08:35 AM

C2D38505 all over the place used on S types. Eurospare C2D38505 Engine Mount; Rear - Jaguar (autohausaz.com)
Our ZF trans are on all kinds of cars, but most every BMW of our era.
I have a suggestion as well, if you have places that rent the Bay and lift like we do here in Miami, I would suggest you do that, as they are fairly cheap to rent and you won't need more than a couple of hours depending on all that you will be doing. It will make the job much more enjoyable.

Last edited by gumby7734; 06-17-2021 at 08:45 AM.
Old 06-18-2021, 07:23 AM

Thanks much; I'll grab an rear engine/trans mount as well.

There are lift rental places, but I'll wind up doing it on the garage floor. Kids, bedtimes, yadda yadda, you know?

Old 07-03-2021, 05:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 09XFSuper
i do not agree, there must be wear inside the transmission which can contaminate the fluid as well. In any event the peace of mind that comes with changing the fluid is worth it to me and it couldn't hurt.

Can anyone shed some light on how to change the transmission fluid and what fluid to use?
I have an '09 XK myself I am buying a kit to change the automatic transmission fluid myself.
When they say it's sealed and it's lifetime fluids it doesn't mean the life that you have the car ask them how long is the transmission supposed to last that is the life of the fluid. You are correct all fluids break down lose their viscosity and become just a former shell of itself. The strange thing is if it's lifetime use why would they sell replacement parts for them? One thing I will tell you is that changing the fluid is not that hard The biggest part is replenishing the fluid correctly. There's a lot more research on other pages I'm pretty sure you could find what you need maybe YouTube even has a video Good luck.
I suggest joining Facebook Jaguar pages I have gotten so much information from people that own the cause and greatly sources on finding parts and just general knowledge

Old 07-16-2021, 01:36 PM

Finished this job this past week, using a kit from FCP Euro and a replacement trans mount. The trans mount actually took me longer than expected, mostly because the lower forward bolt was winking on the crossmember; I had to open the hole up on the mount maybe a 1/16th of an inch. After that, no problem other than having to lower the rear of the transmission to get to the filer plug. I was able to get the transfer pump hose into the filler hole and raise the crossmember back up into the nominal position so I could fill with the right orientation. As always, messy, but not too bad.

I also knocked out the differential a couple of weeks ago; also easy. It's going into a local shop this week to fix the TPMS fault. (I've already checked the transmitters, and fit the receivers back into their appropriate holders--no idea why someone had ziptied them up into the wheel wells.)

Thanks to all for helping me bring this car back from the abuse the previous owner gave it!

Old 07-22-2021, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,366 Likes on 1,864 Posts

Forget the facebook crap. This forum has more knowledgeable Jaguar owners and factory techs than anywhere else.
I find no problems with the CTSC website?
They still have the oil change kits just like always? What problems did you have?
Oil Change Kit - ZF

Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid Change on XF SC - Possible?