XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Transmission Slipping? ZF6HP

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 02:07 PM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Transmission Slipping? ZF6HP

Cold started the vehicle, rotated selector into reverse (loud clunk noise heard) then started rolling out of my garage.

Car was struggling to reverse and was not reversing smoothly. Thought maybe my brakes were sticking. Stopped vehicle by placing in park on my driveway slope. Did a walk around , did not see anything obstructing so went back in.

Placing car in reverse again I could not move at all. Car did not creep back to reverse --something went wrong. Turn the vehicle off then on again. Loud noise came from the right area of the engine compartment. Eventually the noise went away and I reversed out of there driving the car carefully hoping i could make it to work at least.

While driving, as coming to a stop I started getting a BUMP before coming to the complete stop. This sounds like the lurch issue known on these transmissions - but previously it was never this harsh - it was just a slight nudge in the deceleration - now it feels like someone hit me in the back just like how others reported. This only started happening after this transmission incident. Feels like car releases the brakes then sharply applying it giving a sudden surge.

Driving from 3rd gear shifting to 4th in automatic almost misses the gear it feels like it slips. This eventually went away after a 4 days of driving now the shifts are back to smooth in normal drive modes.

Today it happened again where I could barely reverse -- I had to apply a lot of gas to move on a reversing slope.....IT felt like like how in 4 wheel drive cars you need to give it gas if the wheels are turned sharply in order to move.

Any idea what this could be? I hope some codes pull up I have the vehicle at the JLR dealership and my extended warranty is expiring nov 29. If they do not fix the issue it may be my bye for now unfortunately due to the risk.

I really like my Jag but with the warranty gone I don't want to be paying for a new transmission down the road - already has a new engine which is good. This car is just amazing though when it works.

Last edited by hen555; 11-04-2017 at 02:12 PM.
Old 11-04-2017, 02:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 274 Posts

Usually if its been documented in service, the dealer will usually recognize it, and fix it if it comes back within say 30 of your warr expiring they will fix it.
Just keep taking it back even if your warr is gone.

Old 11-04-2017, 03:33 PM
Received 2,682 Likes on 1,839 Posts

It's always helpful to know the number of kilometres/miles on the vehicle.

Has the gearbox been serviced or the fluid level checked?

Is there any evidence of leakage?

Old 11-04-2017, 08:44 PM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for the comments guys. That's good to know about having it documented. I have shifting issues documented since last year and now I have this incident document. I have a case with JLR North America as well so documented there too - they are just covering my rental vehicle charges but I have told them about my situation.

My car is currently at 125K km (78K miles) no sign of any transmission servicing other than when they changed my engine at 80K km (50K miles) on that workorder it includes in the list of parts "Oil -Transmission" so not sure if they drained /flushed it ...they did not tell me that they did.

I hope the techs will check the trans fluid levels while it's with them and for any leaks. Will report back any findings. At my last checkup last week for a lighting issue , the techs did a multi-point inspection . Engine oil, Brake, Coolant, power steering all OK. Transmission was left unchecked as it states (if equipped with dipstick).

I have driven the newer XF and it's decently fast but nothing matchs the sound of a V8 which I love. Hoping for the best.

Last edited by hen555; 11-04-2017 at 09:24 PM.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,560 Likes on 3,965 Posts

Probably not this, but fairly easy to do: check the 2 bolts are present and snugged up that hold the shift cable to the trans.

Old 11-05-2017, 10:50 PM
Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Your problem is transmission related. I had the same issues and all the advice given pointed me to areas that were not the problem. I finally replaced the transmission and it fixed the problem. I diassembled the transmission and discovered that it was a solenoid problem with two of them activtating gears at the same time. By the time that I figured it out, the transmission was making an awful lot of noise mostly a grinding sound in first and reverse gears. When I opened the transmission internal clutches, I found out that both of those sets of clutches were badly worn. This confirmed my suspicion as to the root of the problem. I sent back the shift solenoids and got an answer back that two of them were defective. Because of the high cost of replacing clutch packs and solenoids, I may opt not to repair this transmission. It may be cheaper to buy a good low mileage used one. I did this and my car is working fine. Like in another post on this forum, Jag technicians usually leave transmission repair issues to factory trained mechanics from ZF. So if your transmission is going bad, you can bet that they will do a complete replacement.