XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Transponder VS passive key... !?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2021, 11:33 AM
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Transponder VS passive key... !?

Hi guys,

When I was in the process of adding a new key to my car I noticed that with the car, currently, there are 4 keys registered. 2 Transponder and 2 Passive (including the new one).

What is the difference between "transponder" and "passive"?

Additional questions...

Both keys that I have are marked as Passive... and when I was testing them and trying to put them in the little place where you insert the key in the car, they are automatically removed... and I get "Check keyfob" error on the screen.

Is this a normal thing for passive keys?
If not, what do I need to look for to fix this?
Is there a way to remove the transponder keys that I do not have and have these 2 new ones as the only keys that can be used with the car?

I am using an AUTEL MaxiDAS DS808... if anyone has it and knows specific instructions on how to remove and add the passive ones only.

Thank you - any help is appreciated!

Old 08-28-2021, 03:37 AM
Received 100 Likes on 88 Posts

The transponder is a small chip in the key that is read by a receiver which is located around or near to the ignition key, when matched the car will start. The transponder has nothing to do with opening or locking of the car. A passive key would only open/lock the car & set the alarm. You would need to programme your transponder keys to open the car, I think you would need dealer level software to make transponder keys??

Old 08-28-2021, 04:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,491 Likes on 909 Posts

I wonder if it is referring to passive and active because the fob has both functions.

This is from the technical documentation:

"Passive" key functions that allow vehicle entry/exit, unlock/lock, and starting via the
entirely RF/LF "wireless" system that is validated by the "passive" key code data stored in
the Keyless Vehicle Module.

"Active" key functions that provide an alternative/backup starting procedure if the vehicle's
"passive" system is rendered inoperative. (Such as a dead battery in Smart Key or
excessive RF interference in proximity of the vehicle, etc.)

"Active" key codes are stored / validated by the Instrument Cluster Module. When the
Smart Key is manually inserted in the Starter Control Unit, the "Active" key codes are read
from the Smart Key and forwarded to the IC on a LIN BUS connection.

The following users liked this post:
mrNewt (08-28-2021)
Old 08-28-2021, 11:00 AM

OK, thanks guys - so I guess this answer my question as to why the keys are refused by the car when inserted in the slot (Started Control Unit). Only "Active" keys can be inserted there. I guess I will carry a battery in the glove box to make sure I always have a spare from now on .

All keys as far as I know have a transponder included, but I assume (based on what I read) is that the "Active" keys are stored inside the cluster unit.. and that is the part that matters.

I was playing with the Autel unit and it looks like it has the option to delete the transponder keys, but never played with this function so I don't know if it will render the cluster unable to store keys anymore or not... :/. I assume not... but the message it gives me before starting the procedure makes me wonder... :| (image below).

I also assume that if it can delete keys from the cluster, it can also add them since it has access to that.

I might try it one time anyway, just to see if it works or not... in the end I don't have those keys anyway. Need to play a little more with those options. If anyone has experience with these units, chime in please .
Thanks!

Old 08-28-2021, 06:32 PM

Managed to delete the transponders and add my 2 keys as transponders... works.

The following users liked this post:
u102768 (08-29-2021)