XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Trying to Confirm 255-35-20 Winter Tires For XFR

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 05:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trying to Confirm 255-35-20 Winter Tires For XFR

I've been told by Tire Rack that I can put 255-35-20 winter tires on all four wheels of my 2012 XFR. Typically, this size is just for the front tires, since the (summer) rears are normally 285-30-20s.

The dealer is pushing to go to much more expensive winter tires with the same exact specs as the summer ones (285s in the rear). Tire Rack says that the 255-35-20s are fine for both the 8.5" width front wheels and 9.5" width rears.

Can anyone confirm this? I'd rather go with the 255s, since the narrower tire is better for winter traction (less chance of "skiing" on top of the snow...).

Old 11-01-2012, 06:26 PM
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm thinking a tire that's the same size on two rims of different widths could provide some very funky handling characteristics. Would be a waste of cash to even attempt it to me. I can't even imagine how a 35 series tire could make up an inch of width on the rear rim...just seems wrong...

Old 11-01-2012, 06:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Contact patch size will be identical. Just the shape changes. You will be better off in winter with the same sized tire front and rear. Staggered wheel sizing is largely a styling thing with very little effect on handling. Wider tires develop the same grip as narrower tires on the same car. The wider rear tire develops more grip at the same slip angle as the narrower tire but only up to the limit of the contact patch. The wider tire breaks away at the same speed as the narrower tire and more abruptly which is bad in winter On dry pavement this charcteristic can sharpen up the handling under high acceleration forces. In winter the road won't give you enough grip for this to occur anyway.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:14 PM
Default Very helpful input....Thanks.

I'm leaning towards the Blizzaks at 255-35-20s all around.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member

Pirelli Sottozeros will be more fun on bare road and nearly as grippy as studless winter tires in real world PA winters.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:42 AM
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I did the same thing, bought a set of 255/35/20 blizzaks for all around. They are sitting in my garage, and I plan on getting them put on next week.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:20 PM

Wow, my XF SC is the WORST RWD car I have ever owned. I got stuck in my driveway...literally, in my driveway in about 3" of snow. Just attempting to switch bays in my garage. Winter mode is a joke too, the car won't move. I had to turn off DSC and Winter Mode to get it moving. Luckily I have a SUV for winter because that thing is useless, I can't imagine a set of winter tires make that much of a difference.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:54 PM
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Haha, I recall not being able to move in less than an inch of snow with a Mustang GT...you need tires with at lease a sipe in them before you can say its the worst car ever...there's a few here who'll argue with you.

Would it be fair to say 285's are the widest tires you've ever had on the rear of a car?

Old 11-08-2012, 02:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I having a 2010 Jaguar XFR and I use Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60's on it with the following size: 255/35/20 and I would suggest you to use 20 x 8.5 and 255 35 R20 tires .

Old 11-08-2012, 05:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by DeanZ
I've been told by Tire Rack that I can put 255-35-20 winter tires on all four wheels of my 2012 XFR. Typically, this size is just for the front tires, since the (summer) rears are normally 285-30-20s.

The dealer is pushing to go to much more expensive winter tires with the same exact specs as the summer ones (285s in the rear). Tire Rack says that the 255-35-20s are fine for both the 8.5" width front wheels and 9.5" width rears.

Can anyone confirm this? I'd rather go with the 255s, since the narrower tire is better for winter traction (less chance of "skiing" on top of the snow...).
Have you considered buying a dedicated set of non-staggered wheels and another set of TPMS for the winter setup?

Old 11-08-2012, 05:06 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by itsofct
Wow, my XF SC is the WORST RWD car I have ever owned. I got stuck in my driveway...literally, in my driveway in about 3" of snow. Just attempting to switch bays in my garage. Winter mode is a joke too, the car won't move. I had to turn off DSC and Winter Mode to get it moving. Luckily I have a SUV for winter because that thing is useless, I can't imagine a set of winter tires make that much of a difference.
I am switching over to a set of dedicated winter tires and wheels in the next few days and don't expect to have a problem. I know that with the temperature dropping into the 30's the last few days, I have poor traction with my summer OEM Dunlops as the tires are not designed to operate at those low temperatures even on dry pavement, let alone on snow.

Old 11-08-2012, 07:59 AM
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Night and DAY! Any RWD car with summer tires is going to be "the worst", like my Infiniti M45 was. In the M, I could not leave my neighborhood which was on maybe a 2deg incline. Snow tires make a world of difference, but you still may have to weigh the back end down some. I get creative, I, a big redbull drinker so I'll buy a few cases for the winter and leave them in my truck...it weighs it down and they are available to drink :-).

I have my 255/35 blizzaks on now all around, and can confirm they fit. Even last night driving in the cold rain, I had better traction than I've had on colder days in the past month. The rubber compound on a winter tire is totally different, and you can tell the difference on days colder than 45deg.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

I am assuming you're running summer tires.......which is the root of your problem....not the car.

summer tires will do absolutely NOTHING for you in snow and cold temps.

the best thing you can do is get a set of winter tires....and yes winter tires WILL make that much of a difference. I have a G37 coupe with summer tires...switched over to winter tires and its night and day

Old 11-08-2012, 04:55 PM

I started this thread and then conducted more research. I found that 255-35-20s all around on the 2012 XFR will indeed work. I went ahead and had Blizzaks in that size installed yesterday, right before it started snowing in Philly. I drove from Philly to Bethesda, MD through light snow and freezing rain with no issues. There's no snow accumulation down here, but I will post an update on the performance of the tires in deeper snow conditions as soon as I experience them.

The following users liked this post:
jaguny (11-08-2012)
Old 11-08-2012, 10:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So finally, you got the answer for your queries and you have taken the right decision.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:36 AM
Veteran Member

Trying to get information on tires, wheels, TPMS seems to be a challenge with Jags as many suppliers, dealers don't have a lot of experience with the car. What source(s) ultimately did you find that you gave you confidence in the right answer? My salesman has typically provided the most useful information, as he is familar with the car, even moreso than service or parts, when it comes to other than strict OEM setups.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:24 AM
Veteran Member

Use only OEM equivalent sensors, Jaguar doesn't make these so they are available aftermarket. Have your tire guy write down the codes on the sensors and list them by wheel, my guy simply crayoned 1,2,3,4 on the inner sidewall of each mounted tire and wrote own the code for that tire next to the number.

Then follow the TPMS instructions in the Owners Hanbook on page 217 for 2009 model, may be a different page for later cars. Should be no problem. Jaguar uses a self learning TPMS and with the codes you can ask a dealer to reprogram the module if you happen to get the fault display.

Mine just worked, four totally new sensors installed and no fault codes. Interestingly, to of each new sensor had the same code. I think the system is set up to accept any new code if the sensor is active ( not hibernating) and close enough to the receiver/transmitter in the wheel well for at least 15 minutes stationary.

Old 11-10-2012, 02:29 PM

285 is def widest tire I have ever driven on...my mustang cobra was 255 I believe. I have an SUV so I won't be throwing winter tires on...but as I said, i was moving from one garage bay to another and got stuck...those YouTube videos of Winter Mode must have some fantastic winter tires for sure.

Old 11-10-2012, 04:13 PM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

This is what I woke up to yesterday. The winter mode is unbelievable considering this is a RWD car. I have a brand new set of all season tires on the car and so far not having any issues with the snow around here. Like I said considering its a RWD I am pleasantly surprised so far.

Attached Thumbnails Trying to Confirm 255-35-20 Winter Tires For XFR-img_1415.jpg  
Old 11-11-2012, 08:52 AM
Received 309 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Ick Snow coming all ready.

When I purchased my 2011 XF SC in December 2011, they offered 0% and a set of winter tire with 2 seasons of changes or 4 changes free and they store the tires at the dealer. I traded in my 2010 Black Prem/Lux and ended up with about the same payment. I had the winter tires installed with in a week and ran them until I left for Florida in March. I do drive my SUV in winter, (why have a big 4X4 and not plow through some deep gulf or Canadian snow?). As the temps in Wisconsin have dipped into the low 30's F, I have noticed a harsh if not bumpy ride as the tires are obviously hard. I am going to schedule trip to my dealer next week to change over to winter tires and report what sizes and manufacturer that were provided by Jaguar.

Regarding driving car with wide tires in an inch of snow, I recall waking up to a freak snow fall in northern Wisconsin in 1985 and attempting to drive my 85' Corvette. At that time this was the first car to be factory equipped with 50 series tires on 16" wheels which I thought were huge. It was an added experience when the posi-traction or limited slip rear axle engaged and the car plowed straight ahead no matter which way the wheels were turned.My next purchase was a 82' Plymouth Reliant for my "winter driver." No tickets or looks with that car. lol I traded a Infiniti G35 Xs for my 2010 XF which was all wheel drive and in winter you could not tell, because it was poor in snow and additionally I could not break the 18 MPG barrier. I would say that certain tires and cars do not perform well in snow.

Last edited by edobernig; 11-11-2012 at 09:20 AM.

Quick Reply: Trying to Confirm 255-35-20 Winter Tires For XFR