XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Tuning: Engine or Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 06:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010 Kyanite XFR
I don't know what a Guido is when speaking about Lambos except the character driving it may be named Guido.

But seriously, if you've never driven a modified XFR, you don't know about power, torque or character. The stock car is nice. The modified is truly attention getting and gets my adrenaline going every time I pin it to the floor. I have an 07 Kawasaki ZX-10. Before mods my XFR was close to having the same feeling as the bike. After, it definitely had the same feeling. Not saying it's as fast by any means, but the same effortless "I want to go over there" feeling of power.

And my rev limiter stayed at exactly stock. No power gained there. I told my tuner I'd leave power on the table for reliability and wanted power under the curve. I think they achieved the goal quite well.

The one limiter they did modify is the speed limiter. I can now go as fast as the tires, gearing and aerodynamic drag will allow me to. Which I would estimate to be 180 or so. Haven't been anywhere near that, but would like to do 170+ sometime just to say I did it.
Freudian slip, Its Gallardo, Balboni edition. BTW I saw a XFR beat a Lambo. I havent driven a stock XFR, I own an XKR and its absolutely perfect, does not make me want for more. I cant even fully use whats there. Other than last week when we were leaving the car show and two Porsches got on the interstate at the same time with me and could not keep up. I could hear that they were wide open or close to it.

Old 03-08-2016, 07:35 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 2010 Kyanite XFR
I told my tuner I'd leave power on the table for reliability and wanted power under the curve.
See thats the rub. I am trying to find one shred of credibility that these guys have the expertise of knowing what is reliability and what is not. In fact I have found a mountain of evidence, including from a Jaguar engineer that the problem is not that they dont know how to increase power, they dont have the tools nor facility to measure the effects on reliability. BTW the email I received from them may as well have come from Nigeria. Wrong numbers and immediately asking for a ton of money. However I am keeping an open mind till I investigate further.

Old 03-09-2016, 01:22 AM
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

If your XK is perfect, you can't use all the power it has and it doesn't leave you wanting more, why are you spending time on trying to find a tuner?

Old 03-09-2016, 04:29 AM
Received 4,456 Likes on 2,427 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Guys I owed you follow up on the tune. Their graphs do show a positive improvement. However a Jaguar Engineer writes the following...
Well you got that from Pistonheads... Jaguar XKR with Paramount upgrades - Page 1 - General Gassing - PistonHeads

I don't really understand what your beef is mate.

You have an XKR.

You're posting in a thread which was originally about tuning a N/A XF

You say your XKR is "perfect" yet you're looking for a tune.

You've been talking to Paramount, you're not happy with what you've seen, ok fair enough, but frankly nobody outside of the UK cares about Paramount, they are a local shop who tried to get big, went bankrupt, and are now using Viezu for their tuning because the guys who used to do their tuning in-house are gone.

So if you're not impressed with what Paramount are saying, don't give them your business. It's that simple.

If you want more power from your XKR then there are options from many different tuning companies, a number of which are represented on this forum in one way or another.

If you start your own thread in the X150 XK/XKR section asking the right questions i'm sure you'll hear from owners of those cars who got them tuned from different companies.

If you're just here to talk smack about Paramount, you might have come to the wrong place...

Or perhaps you are here for a different reason, I don't know, it's not entirely clear from your 100-odd posts what you are looking for.

The following users liked this post:
kwiksilver (03-09-2016)
Old 03-09-2016, 06:53 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

CAMBO, very well said. Good post.

Old 03-09-2016, 08:53 AM
Veteran Member

This thread exist because a guy with the same engine as mine asked, should he get a tune or get a stereo.
There were lots of voices for the tune. I offered the counter argument. Thats a good thing.
It would be delusional is 100% of the people were telling him to get a tune from fly-by-night mom and pop outfits. Clearly there is good reason for skepticism, none of these seem to have any credibility.

No Paramount tune is important- its the only one we found to have been backed by Jaguar magazine and in this months issue. Then they send us graphs that can only be described as a joke.

If there is any improvement available for my car, I want to be first in line. I find that the guys taking this emotionally are all who have a tune. Understandably so. No, not here to take a ****. I am the only one who has actually posted empirical data. No one supporting the tune has posted anything to show that these 'tuners' even have credibility beyond a home page of a website. If they were good there should be volumes of info.

Old 03-09-2016, 09:20 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cambo
I don't really understand, I don't know, it's not entirely clear from your 100-odd posts what you are looking for.
No worries mate, I'll put it in a nutshell for you. Alternative method of gaining 30HP suggested by me. Tuners asked what are my fears against tuning- evidence provided.

Old 03-09-2016, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member

BTW we are all BOSE, Brothers Of the Same Engine. Never forget that. Its Jaguar's most significant accomplishment of the Century! If there is one guy in the crowd fighting to save this magnificent example of engineering, he is a friend and not an enemy.

Old 03-09-2016, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Overblown
If your XK is perfect, you can't use all the power it has and it doesn't leave you wanting more, why are you spending time on trying to find a tuner?
I would do a tune even if no power was gained, if it actually optimized the engine. I am stickler of perfection and improvement. But it doesnt, so far all I can find is sketchy stuff.

The method I suggested initially does, with proven evidence, but you beat me up about it saying it was mumbo-jumbo (despite me being deeply rooted in the industry) Then we move on to your suggestion of tuning and all I find is mumbo-jumbo. I am giving you the benefit of doubt and looking to find an example of a 'competent tuner'. I am doing the right thing, by being open to be proven overly suspicious. Are you open to be proven too trusting?

Old 03-09-2016, 01:22 PM

You beat yourself up actually by saying that people should spend 1100 to have their heads cleaned if they want 30 hp. The way you presented that statement was as though it's the only logical route and we ALL could pull apart our engines and find 30+hp. That just is not true.

You also seem to be obsessed with this idea that every tuner is just a guy with a laptop. Well I'd like to see the "Mom and Pop" behind a company like Eurocharged. Think they're willing to adopt? Because I'd be there for easter if so lol. Do you not find it telling that in a sea of people, smart, sticklers of perfection, people who love their cars and are highly knowledgeable, in a sea of that you see yourself as some sort of rouge pioneer? Who is beating a path on a new, never before thought of road to tuning perfection? Well hold onto your loafers!

BTW I have not had my XF tuned at all. It is factory stock minus the exhaust and I love it but there's definitely more on the table which I will have extracted once I get bored with it's current power. I've had experience in have many of my other cars tuned though with great results. Including classics like my 1970 Monte Carlo and 1975 Stingray which have carburetors which I do myself. Tuning a car is an enjoyable ballad if you know the right notes.

Check these guys out and see if they tickle you. Several members here have used them with great results. testimonials

Old 03-09-2016, 03:14 PM
Veteran Member

You miss-quote me by saying ALL can find 30hp by restoring to factory specs. I provided specific evidence of only those with certain conditions, miles and maintenance.

Yes so far it does look like they are mickey mouse mate. I cant find a single graph from neither the company you provided nor the one I found. They are in the software business and the data business, heck they should have a website of nothing but graphs. I bet I know the reason they have cleverly not put any up- lawsuits. Look at the graph I posted. How can you defend that garbage? And that company is in this months Jaguar mag.

Of course you can get more power by optimizing an old Chevy, they did not remotely bother getting every ounce of performance, nor were they good at it. Ford is now licensing the variable cam phaser tech from the Jaguar Aj8 Gen 3!! What does that tell about competency. Forget a push rod motor, its not in the league of your active cam monster.

BTW engineering is not based on testimonials- thats slick 50 territory. Empirical data should be easy for these guys, the only tool they claim to own is a Dyn0. Do you know what I get when I take my car to a dyno- empirical data, not a print out of former testimonials.

Old 03-09-2016, 03:20 PM
Veteran Member

Important footnote, the graph I got, I had to request.
Isnt that strange? no its not because if they actually let a discerning eye see that it would be laughed at.

Old 03-09-2016, 03:56 PM
Received 4,456 Likes on 2,427 Posts

This thread exist because a guy with the same engine as mine asked, should he get a tune or get a stereo.
He doesn't have the same engine as you! Cherry's XF is naturally aspirated, your XKR is supercharged. Do you understand this?

There were lots of voices for the tune. I offered the counter argument. Thats a good thing.
It would be delusional is 100% of the people were telling him to get a tune from fly-by-night mom and pop outfits. Clearly there is good reason for skepticism, none of these seem to have any credibility.
See now this comes across like you are on a crusade to discredit tuners in general.

No Paramount tune is important- its the only one we found to have been backed by Jaguar magazine and in this months issue. Then they send us graphs that can only be described as a joke.
Are you kidding? Anyone can get an article in Jaguar World magazine, you just have to pay the fee, which they obviously did. Jaguar World is owned by Kelsey Publishing, nothing to do with Jaguar Land Rover, no relationship at all. There is no "endorsement" it's about who pays for the page space.

If there is any improvement available for my car, I want to be first in line.
Then go to the x150 XK/XKR subforum and do a search, there is lots of info there. Many cars that were tuned.

I find that the guys taking this emotionally are all who have a tune. Understandably so. No, not here to take a ****. I am the only one who has actually posted empirical data. No one supporting the tune has posted anything to show that these 'tuners' even have credibility beyond a home page of a website. If they were good there should be volumes of info.
Stop typing, start searching. There is a goldmine of information in the X150 section. Go look there.

Old 03-09-2016, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member

This has been an educational thread for me and I hope we can keep a sporty spirit about things.

My only reason for putting off getting a tune was Jaguar had just released a remap to address the carbon build up problem that was recently discovered with the new direct injection technology. I was waiting to see if the tuners had also factored this problem into their tune. What I am now learning after being pushed to look into tuners is that they dont have any info out there.

Old 03-09-2016, 04:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cambo
He doesn't have the same engine as you! Cherry's XF is naturally aspirated, your XKR is supercharged. Do you understand this?
Really, he must have different heads, intakes, oil passages, cams, what about the engine designation is it different than AJ133.

In the matter that we were speaking of, losing power, its absolutely identical.

No I am not trying to discredit tuners, rather find an ounce of credibility. At least to answer the question why someone should not restore power as opposed to tweak the map. You are welcome to show me and others reading this thread some proof from these tuners. I think its a fair request. And no none of us are on a quest to make any grand discovery, just pick one method over the other.

Old 03-09-2016, 06:26 PM
Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

so .... Cherry..... looks like a stereo it is....... ; ) haha ive read this whole thing....ur all kinda picking on Queen and country a bit...i took it as simply throwing out his opinion.. not an attack on anyone....id agree with not wasting money on tuning a NA car....ive never heard od more than minimal gains, i keep kicking around the thought of tuning mine... as i know its the same hardware as higher HP models which says to me that everything would be safe from an engineering point of view...but honestly i rarely if ever get to use all it has now....at least havent been able to really let it run out and see...quick pops up to 110 or so and thats it so far... all good info here though thanks...maybe we should talk about the stereo upgrades.....

Old 03-09-2016, 10:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts
Default Tuning: Engine or Stereo

I'll do a little of both...

Found a Sundown Audio SAZ 1500D amp on Craigslist the other day for $300 and picked it up. Even though I can't use all the wattage (it will do well over 1500w) or I'd blow my woofer, it's nice to have enough hardware that I'll never need anything more. Which brings to mind that much can be accomplished with limited funds if you're willing to do some work on the buying and installing side.

Which brings me to the tune on my car and the power it has. Do I need that much power? Of course not. Does it cause a bit more anxiety and have an even higher propensity to send me to the body shop or jail when I'm really giving it the business? Of course... And that's exactly the way I like it.

Like they say, there's no greater success than excess!

Last edited by 2010 Kyanite XFR; 03-09-2016 at 10:34 PM.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:53 AM

This has been an educational thread for me and I hope we can keep a sporty spirit about things.

My only reason for putting off getting a tune was Jaguar had just released a remap to address the carbon build up problem that was recently discovered with the new direct injection technology. I was waiting to see if the tuners had also factored this problem into their tune. What I am now learning after being pushed to look into tuners is that they dont have any info out there.
Then it is clear that tuning is not for you. Sometimes one must just accept when they are a customer without a vendor. Perhaps you can use that to your advantage and profit from it using your industry connections. At least your XK is already perfect as it is so you really don't need to worry about it so much. I encourage you to post pictures and dyne results when you have your heads cleaned.

Last edited by Overblown; 03-10-2016 at 11:06 AM.
Old 03-10-2016, 01:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Overblown
Then it is clear that tuning is not for you. Sometimes one must just accept when they are a customer without a vendor. Perhaps you can use that to your advantage and profit from it using your industry connections. At least your XK is already perfect as it is so you really don't need to worry about it so much. I encourage you to post pictures and dyne results when you have your heads cleaned.
I can do better. Again keep an open mind, this credible article explains how turbulence robs power. While it speaks of increasing performance by removing OEM imperfections, imagine what happens when you do it to a dirty head as pictured in the second link to a thread here. Note the Jag Techs comments on 5.0 DI
Engine Head And Valve Work - Import Tuner Magazine

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...uild-up-62700/

Old 03-11-2016, 12:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 96 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Injekter
so .... Cherry..... looks like a stereo it is....... ; ) haha ive read this whole thing....ur all kinda picking on Queen and country a bit...i took it as simply throwing out his opinion.. not an attack on anyone....id agree with not wasting money on tuning a NA car....ive never heard od more than minimal gains, i keep kicking around the thought of tuning mine... as i know its the same hardware as higher HP models which says to me that everything would be safe from an engineering point of view...but honestly i rarely if ever get to use all it has now....at least havent been able to really let it run out and see...quick pops up to 110 or so and thats it so far... all good info here though thanks...maybe we should talk about the stereo upgrades.....

No ****!!! ..... Hahaha...I am just trying to bounce ideas around and get some input from those who have experience with mods and upgrades .... It's good to hear all of the opinions though cause I don't want to throw money at something that just isn't feasible. My thinking is that there is so much available to the Camaro and Mustang crowd and their engines are also N.A., so I figured that there might be something for our NA cars. Anyways, I am still working on the exhaust note. I am eating up those Lexus IS dudes..hehehe. It's like taking candy from a baby. But I got beat up by a new SS the other day off the line. Avenge me Kyanite...lol....and btw, a tune would be worth the money to me just for removing the goddam speed limiter!!!! Hahaha.

Last edited by Cherry_560sel; 03-11-2016 at 01:10 AM.

Quick Reply: Tuning: Engine or Stereo