XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Turbo on '13 XF 2.2D

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 04:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo on '13 XF 2.2D

Hello everyone,

just joined the forum and wanted to ask a couple questions about my car.

At least where I live, Jaguar is not particularly well chosen brand for the public and I guess it's for almost everywhere since I haven't seen many even in the UK. Thought it'd be the best to ask any Jag related questions on here.

I have a 2013 Jag XF 2.2D and have few questions.

I am not exactly the person who heavily modifies a car, especially when it comes to a luxury saloon like a XF. Though, I have seen a lot of Ford Mondeos in the UK have some sort of turbo spool/whistle when they accelerate and it sounded quite pleasant. Though, I am not directing it to any sort of dump valve/blow off valve as I think they are too much of boy racer thing to be honest and I don't want to be seen like that. Though, I would love to hear some turbo spool when I am driving.

I've heard fitting a cone filter would louden the turbo whistle but I am worried if that would void my warranty. I have heard Jags dislike mods and moreover the MAF sensor is placed right on the top lid of air box which makes it almost impossible to fit a cone filter. I have thought it'd be possible to fit one to the hole under the panel filter but that means I will still have to close the top lid of air box with the cone filter in which makes it pointless as it might damage the engine with all the hot air sucking back in (?). Though I am not an expert.

I am just trying to gather all the infos. If there's anyone with XF diesel and fit a cone filter or anything else, let me know. Also, would any of performance panel filters help to achieve what I want? I've heard good things about JR panel filters and Pipercross as well. Not keen on ITG as they are oily?

Thanks!

Old 09-02-2014, 06:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,263 Likes on 2,408 Posts

I have a 3.0 D "S" and one of the first things I did was to fit a K&N air filter, particularly as the stock air filter was filthy and way past due for replacement.
I noticed an immediate increase in induction noise, but not a lot, fairly subtle.
Maybe a small increase in turbo whistle when giving it the berries, but hard to tell for sure.
Don't worry that it's an 'oily' filter, just be careful not to spray too much filter oil on it, a couple of light passes on each side is all you need.
Much less hassle than trying to fit a cone filter, which would have questionable benefits anyway.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:59 AM
Received 4,466 Likes on 2,427 Posts

Welcome to the forum patrick. When you get a moment stop by our new members area and introduce yourself ==>> New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Rather ironically, modern engines have very complex & complicated intake tracts, with the sole purpose of getting rid of the whines & whirrs which many of us want to hear.

If you have a look at the intake piping from airbox you'll probably find it's got a lot of extra chambers & odd bits of piping on it, these are to limit the sound of the intake.

The V8 guys have often removed the factory intake piping and replaced it with a regular pipe without these baffles & chambers, you can really hear the whine from the supercharger when you lose the muffling of the stock intake.

Not sure of the layout with the 2,2D on the Jags but from what i've seen on the Land Rovers with the same engine, the intake piping is really strangling the engine note.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone!

I just wanted to ask how to replace the stock intake to a straight pipe without the baffles. Like what kind of materials would I have to use and is it DIYable??

I would probably need to fit the stock one for the service to keep my warranty in tact but since there is only about 16 months of warranty left on it, I would really not need to visit the dealers that often so modding it isn't a big issue as long as it can relatively easily reversed back to stock.