XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Turn signal etc. sounds - '12XF

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 01:58 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Turn signal etc. sounds - '12XF

I just noticed that the turn signals on my '12 are silent. Also, there is no seatbelt bell or chime when the headlights are left on. I cannot find any "setup" function which would cover this. Coincidentally, the car just had 15K service. Is there a fuse or switch a mechanic may have pulled while working on the car? Any other ideas?

Old 12-29-2013, 08:54 AM
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Don't know why the turn signal clicking is absent - it is not very loud to begin with and it is silenced when other warnings are being sounded. Not sure what you mean by the seat belt chime is off when the headlights are left on - that implies that it works only when the headlighs are off. Note that the chime and instrument cluster warning light are activated for a duration of about 5 seconds after the engine starts if a belt in not buckled. Then the light and chime operate intermitently after the car has exceeded 5 or 10 mph. I also assume the car is not a used vehicle. The chime can be turned off by the dealer if desired because some folks don't like it. If I remember correctly it can also be silenced on earlier models with some sequential control button manipulation by the owner that's not covered in the owner's manual (search for seat belt chime topics).

Last edited by Jerry S; 12-29-2013 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Corrected initial chime and warning light
Old 12-29-2013, 08:47 PM

Thanks for your interest, Jerry. I caused confusion by trying to be brief. I am missing 3 sounds (that I know of):
The "tick" of the turn signal,
The "beep" of the seatbelt warning,
The "chime" that sounds if you open the door with the headlights turned on.
The turn signal works, as does the warning light for the seatbelt.

I believe these sounds are generated electronically through a small speaker.

There is a thread (or two) in the archives about this symptom resulting from the failure of the speaker. The thread refers to a speaker on the side of the steering column, which I remember from at least one previous Jaguar. It appears that the speaker on the '12 XF is located above the instrument cluster (underside of the dashboard piece that shields the cluster from the sun); there is a small speaker grille cloth there.

This just happened (15k miles), because I noticed it on my first turn the other day. I drove about 300 miles today, so it appears no other functions are impeded. Did not have time to take it to the dealer, and will be out of town the next week, so will report when I have a chance to take it in 2nd week of Jan.

Happy New Year.

Old 12-30-2013, 06:17 PM
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

That cleared up my confusion. I think you are right about the single device that generates the sounds because some of the sounds are over-ridden by more important signals or warnings. Oddly enough, my seatbelt warning is a chime, not a beep like yours.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:26 PM

Yeah, it's a chime, I think more strident than the "headlight on" one. Haven't heard it in a week, so can't remember exactly.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:07 PM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by Dick
I just noticed that the turn signals on my '12 are silent. Also, there is no seatbelt bell or chime when the headlights are left on. I cannot find any "setup" function which would cover this. Coincidentally, the car just had 15K service. Is there a fuse or switch a mechanic may have pulled while working on the car? Any other ideas?
The sounder for all those missing warnings is incorporated in the Instrument Pack. [IPC] Better see your dealer for a repair, especially if you are under 50K miles.

Cheers

The following users liked this post:
Dick (01-06-2014)
Old 01-06-2014, 05:55 PM

Thanks for the alert.

Took it in today, I believe they think the speaker is bad and are trying to find if they can order it separately from the entire instrument pack. Cold, windy, and in a hurry so didn't ask details. Probably a week or more before part comes in. About 300 miles ago it made a few clicks on lane changes and I was afraid in would be an intermittent problem, but no more sounds since.

Also about 500 miles ago, I drove over what I thought was a small dead animal in the road at 65mph. I realized when it was too late to steer around that it was much larger. It made a lot of noise and banging, especially around the rear axle, and left some piece of fur hanging under the car for several days. They checked under the car today and found nothing amiss.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:45 PM

The end of the story...
The instrument control module finally came in (almost 3 months on order), installed this past Monday, now have all my bells and whistles back. What I missed most? The 3 clicks when changing lanes; I found myself taking my eyes off the road to make sure the signal was blinking.
The Service Advisor says it was an expensive repair, but the paperwork won't show the amount.

The following 2 users liked this post by Dick:
Avgon (06-17-2020), danke (10-03-2015)
Old 10-02-2015, 10:46 AM
Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Sounder / Cluster Repair

Sorry to kick up an old thread but seemed better than starting a new one.
Dick - My 2012 XF 5.0 lost the same sounds as yours. Service dept told me it required the entire cluster to be replaced. OK - no problem since it's under warranty. BUT - I only have 1 key FOB. Should that matter? NO. But wait . . .

The service representation calls me to say that in order to program the cluster, it requires BOTH key FOB's. But I only have 1 - right? So I have to buy another. Seriously? So they are telling me that the job just can't be done without 2 key FOB's. Well, they cut all the markup and convinced me to buy their FOB without the spare key for $325. I supposed that's OK and I'll end up with a backup FOB - but this totally sounds like BS to me. Any opinions out there?

Old 10-03-2015, 03:49 PM

Yes, I do remember that I had to take the 2nd fob in for them to install the cluster. BUT, I never asked whether it was because both fobs were needed to do the job, or because the 2nd fob wouldn't be any good after the reprogramming.
Anyway, glad you got the job done, and the 2nd fob is always nice to have.

Incidentally, my fob batteries went bad on a trip this summer. I was getting the "low battery" warning with my fob. Since my wife had the spare fob with her, I started using hers, which also showed the "low battery" warning. Not sure whether the car was confused by the two fobs, but changing the batteries in both solved the problem.