XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Upgrade from Premium to B&W Sound System.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 12:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrade from Premium to B&W Sound System.

. I have a 2010 XF which is a salvage title vehicle. It was stolen and the doors etc removed. The original vehicle had a premium sound system and was then replaced with the interior from an XF with the B& W system and has centre and rear parcel shelf speakers and all B&W units in the doors.
I obtained an amp for the B&W unit from a wreck and was assured by a Jag tech online that the radio module can handle B&W if it has the six CD changer, which it does.
He claimed just connect new amp, with additional inputs and upgrade software. My local Jag dealer switched amps and claimed he could not upgrade. I do not believe them.
Can anyone help me with this. What software upgrade will do the trick?

Old 01-03-2013, 01:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Good Tech Question

I don't have the answer but I will say I am not sure why you wanted that sound system in your car. I find that it isn't that great. I wish the base had far more kick. I think I am going to rip mine out and put in something else. I find most of these stock car stereo systems are paper crap that are hyped as something amazing but I can put in a far superior sound system. Just my 2 cents.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

I have to disagree on the B&W system sounding like crap. My '11 SC system is has great sound.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:42 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

My '12 B&W stereo sounds like crap as well. My front doors both have had major rattle issues from day one. Sounds like blown speaker. Am planning on taking to dealer soon as it is driving me nuts. For what I paid for this stereo I could have had a custom stereo sounding far superior installed for half the price. Not sure what I will do but plan on changing something after they fix this rattle. B&W in my opinion is not to the level of quality or sound for what they charge.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:00 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

B&W Is a great sound system. I have my settings the right way, CD in the changer (the best sound quality is from CD. I tried my iPhone and USB and aux and memory stick. CD quality still the best) and every time I drive I enjoy the music sound .

Old 01-30-2013, 02:31 PM
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Upgrade from Premium to B&W Sound System

I'm currently working on a stealth bass upgrade to the B&W system. I think overall imaging and soundstage are pretty good, but not perfect. I'm using 3-channel instead of Dolby since I prefer a more "natural" sounding front stage.

I notice a severe roll-off of sub bass at about 35 Hz. It's possible that there is a subsonic filter built into the processor/amplifier, but I will find out soon. It could also be a function of the Fs of the B&W driver and/or subwoofer cabinet volume (or both). I am looking into one of two things:

1. Replacing the factory 8" driver in the ABS enclosure, dampening and reinforcing the enclosure, and adding a more robust subwoofer. With that, I will power it with a separate amplifier using the stock sub speaker lines as a signal.

2. Scrapping the spare tire and sub enclosure and creating a single 10" or 12" sealed box (likely downfiring) in the empty spare tire space... again, powered by an external amplifier.

More to come.
Erik
Mobile AVC
2010 XF S/C

Last edited by MobileAVC; 01-30-2013 at 02:32 PM. Reason: signature
The following 2 users liked this post by MobileAVC:
Onedark1 (03-07-2016), Sick XF (01-30-2013)
Old 01-30-2013, 03:07 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Old 01-31-2013, 11:02 AM
Default Upgrade from Premium to B&W Sound System (subwoofer)

Thanks Sick XF,

Being a small retailer and customizer here in NY, I have the luxury of trying many pathways to getting the bottom end filled out for the XF.
I have already hooked up a Vibe Audio UK LiteBox amplifier with signal-sensing turn on, and yes, we are fortunate to have the battery in the trunk. Power, ground, and sub speaker wires as high-level inputs = amplifier part complete.

I have a small TREO Engineering 8" subwoofer in a custom ported box tuned to 32Hz sitting on that back hump by the rear seats. It's better than stock, but the overall impact is not night/day. Again, I think there may be a subsonic filter in the processing stream somewhere.

My next step is going to be removing the spare tire and enclosure this weekend and assess the volume of our custom sub enclosures. If it's not worth pursuing, I will start on a custom-fit down-firing enclosure with a single 10" or 12" TREO Engineering sub. I'm most concerned with frequencies between 20-60Hz, as I feel that our cars are pretty flat and nicely balanced down to about 50 Hz. Keeping my sub below 60-70Hz should keep the front stage solid and not "pull" the sound to the back with a stronger subwoofer presence.

More to come!
Erik

The following users liked this post:
JagginMon (02-11-2013)
Old 02-03-2013, 03:42 PM

Nice discussion guys but no one has addressed my original question!

Old 02-11-2013, 03:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pictures

I am VERY interested in what amp you got that feeds off the RCA or fiber line input from the stock amplifier into the sub. After listening to the stock system I found that using AUX I can boost the volume and get decent sound. I just find that the stock volume limiter really is irritating.

That being said I agree that this system isn't total crap but they really needed to give better options for tweaking the sound, the three bass, trebble and mid levels is weakauce. If anyone has dabbled in after market sound systems you will know that while this system isn't horrible - for the price it could be WAY better. I agree also that the highs aren't so bad, mids could be more punchy - kinda weak.

I would love to put my 10 inch JL into this car (right now it is sitting unused in my Hyundai Accent), so if you were able to bypass the bass and use an amp feeding off those lines to power a second sub please provide more detail. I really like to have a nice thump to my music be it rock, techno etc. and this car is really really missing some deep hard hitting base beats.

Again, if you haven't dabbled in aftermarket...you just can't possibly understand the joy of a 10 or 12 inch sub pounding the hell out of the lower frequencies.

So please provide some details for me.

Sorry I hijacked your thread my friend.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:59 PM
Default Subwoofer upgrade

Sent you a PM, JagginMon.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:29 PM

Can i get that info also? I feel the need for a little more bass and have the necessary equipment sitting in my garage.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:28 PM

PM sent to you as well, heem.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:59 PM

2009 XF W/ B&W Sound. I have had car for 4 months and like the sound so much I put a new B&W sound system in my house .No rattles yet.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by PHONEMAN
2009 XF W/ B&W Sound. I have had car for 4 months and like the sound so much I put a new B&W sound system in my house .No rattles yet.
B&W makes some great speakers, which did you get?

Old 02-19-2013, 09:07 AM

The B&W CM series. Worth every penny.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by PHONEMAN
The B&W CM series. Worth every penny.
I Listened to that line before I bought my Gallo's. Great choice.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:57 PM

I guess no one is able to answer my original question, only rattle off on unrelated posts

Old 04-27-2013, 01:12 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Only.thing i can recommend is a setup menu for dealer options in the SDD. Its normally done at the factory for these type of components, perhaps the tech wasnt familiar with those steps. Itz not exactly a common swap you are trying to accomplish. There may also be hidden menus in your deck...the x350 has a screen for specifically selecting amp, cd changer, phone module, etc.

Old 02-29-2016, 07:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does anyone know how I can swap out my rear passengerside deck speaker??? its the B&W system and that speaker is really blown.

2009 XF Supercharged

Quick Reply: Upgrade from Premium to B&W Sound System.