XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Upgrading audio amplifier - what am I doing wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2020, 06:17 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Hak-ansen
yes CCF enabled for Premium audio sistem, with Subwoofer and Center speaker enabled.
yes this is correct.

Old 04-26-2020, 05:14 AM

Thank to everyone,Yesterday I had another go. A combination of both above methods. First I tried V130 and softwaredownload. Configure Existing Module didn’t work. Then tried New Module that could find correct vbf files but couldn’t flash it. There was a message that said I need coded access because I am flashing a pre-date file compared to existing.
I switched to V157 and renamed the files and it could flash it. Went back to V130 and files had a green tick next to them.
my conclusion is:
1- Renaming files is the way to flash any file to any module without coded access. Just make sure you know the correct file.
2- For MY2012 car, V130 (valid until mid 2012) had all needed files while V157 has a lot missing and relays on downloading. My problem was it downloaded wrong files or didn’t know correct names.

However my audio problem is not sorted. Still none of surround speakers+subwoofer work. I am going to reflash ACM this time even though I still have B&W screensaver and surround settings. mainly because if audio is set to radio before switched off, I hear a whisper from surround speakers that is buried in white noise. at the same time other speakers are completely shut.
I wish I had started with V130 from beginning instead of V157. It’s strange SDD can even mess up factory fitted modules.

Old 04-26-2020, 01:57 PM

I did the same thing for ACM. Using V157 to downgrade the firmware to correct vbf files by renaming and then using V130 to reflash using recommended files by SDD for double check.

Still have the same problem. However when I run on demand self test, I get this:

The description says measured impedance is out of range!

I am going to check wirings even though the speakers make white noise and there are 5 speakers+subwoofer that are not working unless you guys have another idea.

Old 05-04-2020, 05:06 PM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Can someone let me know what files I should replace in my common/flash folder when programming the AMP? See next picture as well. And if you could post the files up here would be very helpful!!

And which should I use for the programming? Choose EW1, EW2 or OriginalAAM? Or do it through softwaredownload.html?

Old 05-04-2020, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by harryf

Can someone let me know what files I should replace in my common/flash folder when programming the AMP? See next picture as well. And if you could post the files up here would be very helpful!!

And which should I use for the programming? Choose EW1, EW2 or OriginalAAM? Or do it through softwaredownload.html?

-first edit ccf

-then if you use V130/138 use softwaredownload.html
otherwise use SDD as normal and use “configure new module-audio amplifier“ it should be under service functions. I prefer v157 or 159.

run the module programming as above until it reaches the second screenshot you sent. Doesn’t matter which audio system you use. Ew-a,b or original AAM. Choose one that is diffraction from last time.

Minimise SDD and go to common/flash/vbf. Remove the file named AW93-14C526-CV from the folder and keep it somewhere else. Find DX23-14C526-BA and change the name to AW93-14C526-CV. Remove the file named CX23-14C527-CD. find CX23-14C527-BD Rename to CX23-14C527-CD.

go back to SDD and continue with your module programming by pressing tick. If you don’t have files, you can use V130 that has most of them or let me know. While programming don’t leave car unless leaving key in the car and the door open. you need the power supply connected to the car.

if above files didn’t work, try another file that has the same file size and it has 14C526 and 14C527 In the name.

Old 05-05-2020, 12:53 AM

Thanks!! I'll try that tomorrow, if I have the free time in between work. I've been looking for some help for a long time..plus I didn't have the time to fool around with it as it takes about 15-30 minutes to do the programming and fail!

Last edited by harryf; 05-05-2020 at 12:55 AM.
Old 05-05-2020, 02:23 AM
Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks!! I'll try that tomorrow, if I have the free time in between work. I've been looking for some help for a long time..plus I didn't have the time to fool around with it as it takes about 15-30 minutes to do the programming and fail!
Hey harryf. I've been watching this thread from afar, as I'm considering the amplifier upgrade process as well. From reading several threads, I understand the process overall, but Hamedhbb's above instructions has provided the most step-by-step clarity of the process. I'm routing for you and I hope you get this figured out.

Old 05-05-2020, 04:06 AM
Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

In an attempt to contribute to this thread, below is a link that contains a spreadsheet of engineering numbers and part numbers for the all of the amplifiers that are associated with the current JLR vehicles. This should assist with tracking down the correct VBF files to download based on the engineering numbers and amp wattages.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...GCUDU/pubhtml#

I have not yet attempted an amp upgrade yet, but it seems that locating the correct VBF files to download is vital in this process. I hope this helps and is useful in some way.

Last edited by ABrice; 05-05-2020 at 04:09 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Hamedhbb (05-05-2020)
Old 05-05-2020, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by ABrice
In an attempt to contribute to this thread, below is a link that contains a spreadsheet of engineering numbers and part numbers for the all of the amplifiers that are associated with the current JLR vehicles. This should assist with tracking down the correct VBF files to download based on the engineering numbers and amp wattages.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...GCUDU/pubhtml#

I have not yet attempted an amp upgrade yet, but it seems that locating the correct VBF files to download is vital in this process. I hope this helps and is useful in some way.
This would be very helpful! Thanks. I guess these are assembly part numbers. The vbf files should not match exactly these. for instance I have a BJ32-19C164-BF but SDD V157 flashes it to DX23-14C526-BA and SDD V130 flashes it to BJ32-14C526-BF. However I flashed BJ32-14C526-BF, BG, BR and many others and they all worked for me. although sound quaity was slightly different using some of them. Bearing in mine I have problem with surround speakers but I can tell it’s working because when it thinks 16 speakers work, when I change the balance to far rear end, there is no sound At all and if it thinks there are 8, rear door speakers sound. Similarly for mid range speakers on front door. In 16speakers setting, mid range doesn’t sound good While 8speaker settings it does because AAM uses bass speakers to cover mid range.

I have tested wiring and speakers for surround ones using an external Amp and they are fine.

Last edited by Hamedhbb; 05-05-2020 at 08:35 AM.
Old 05-05-2020, 07:57 AM

Based on my experience there are 4 reasons you might get error:
1- You are using a wrong file. Always check the file size, the file you are renaming shouldn't be that different. 14C457 should be around 79kb. if you choose one about 120kb it won't go ahead.
2- Your AAM shuts off during the process for saving power. Always run engine for 1 min just before starting the process. this could happen even with an external power supply.
3- You don't have an external power supply that can deliver 20-30+A and 13+ volts. if voltage drops below 12.5V process will terminate.
4-if you leave the car. if you want to leave the car, leave the driver door open and the key inside the car. then check every 10mins , switch ignition on-ff to make sure it won't shut down.

a couple of tips from my personal experience:
-if you lost audio, don't be afraid, start from beginning. you might need to restart the laptop or leave the car locked for about an hour before start again.
-14c526 seems to be for the processor of AAM and 14c527 seems to adjust the number of speakers and their gains, settings, etc. so different files containing 14c527 in the name and similar file sizes should give you different audio quality that fits each car type+audio system differently.
- there is an extera step if reflashing vbf files didn't work for you. I learned it from Onotole that was kind enough to help me via team viewer. I have premium audio fit from factory and surround speakers stopped working. I tried everything and it seems it is a hardware problem. there are two dsp chips. one for first 8 speaker and another for second and somehow the the second one is not working. So if above method didn't work let me know to do that extera step.

Last edited by Hamedhbb; 05-05-2020 at 08:28 AM. Reason: adding a tip
User 42324 (05-05-2020)
Old 05-05-2020, 07:52 PM

Hamedhbb, Unfortunately I don't have DX23-14C526-BA file. Do you have it and can you post it here for me to download?

Old 05-05-2020, 08:12 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here you go now maybe someone will help me !

Attached Files
File Type: rar
DX23-14C526-BA.rar (507.4 KB, 92 views)
The following 2 users liked this post by cclaypool1967:
Hamedhbb (05-05-2020), harryf (05-05-2020)
Old 05-05-2020, 09:36 PM

Do you also have CX23-14C527-BD?
I just wanted to make sure I have the original files.

So far I get errors on when the update process. Bummer. Originally I used a different file than the DX23-14C526-BA I use BJ32-14C526-BG. But that failed as well. I got errors on book 63, 25,29, 62, 38, and 99.
Then I just tried with the DX23 file and still got failures in block 99, 115.

Not sure why.

I have to say this has been the most frustrating thing to deal with. I have borked more amps in the past thinking it should be an easy programming fix. No coded access needed, just an update. But no... JLR makes it difficult and no training manual. Even the CCF edit was easier than this. I just glad that there has been a few individuals who are willing to help.

Thanks.

Last edited by harryf; 05-05-2020 at 10:15 PM.
Old 05-05-2020, 10:22 PM

if you just delete the file it will download it again but I have attached the file.
It's strange because the AW93-14C526-CV is still for a mid-8 AAM. Please confirm if you have edited ccf successfully?

Make sure you start a new session so the SDD will not remember what was installed before.If you still get the error, there an asbuild zip file that we have to edit it, then start a new session. The SDD thinks there is no asbuild data and tries to retrieve it. it will use that zip file and thinks the prem-16 was on your car from factory. then lets you flash the correct file.

Please confirm the part number that is printed on your AAM is DX23-19C164-BA?
Also confirm if you have an external power supply connected to battery leads?

N.B. please remember to unzip the files before use. the forum will not let us attach the file with vbf extension.

Attached Files
File Type: rar
CX23-14C527-BD.rar (8.6 KB, 44 views)
Old 05-06-2020, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Hamedhbb
if you just delete the file it will download it again but I have attached the file.
It's strange because the AW93-14C526-CV is still for a mid-8 AAM. Please confirm if you have edited ccf successfully?
I edited the RSJB file. I didn't edit the As-built file, because I didn't think I could. I'll have to check that again. I may have changed the amp back to the high amp as that is what I have in the car now. But definitely not the base Mid-8 AAM, though that is what is shows in the As-Built CCF. I only changed it on the RSJB.

Photo of CCF.

Make sure you start a new session so the SDD will not remember what was installed before.If you still get the error, there an asbuild zip file that we have to edit it, then start a new session. The SDD thinks there is no asbuild data and tries to retrieve it. it will use that zip file and thinks the prem-16 was on your car from factory. then lets you flash the correct file.

Where is the asbuild zip file located? I do see a As_built folder with my VIN number as the file name.

Please confirm the part number that is printed on your AAM is DX23-19C164-BA? Yes, confirmed.

Also confirm if you have an external power supply connected to battery leads?
I didn't have the external power supply connected as my battery charger is in my other car at my girlfriend's place, unfortunately, as I had to take it to my dad's to jump-start his car as it's been sitting for months. But will do it.

Thanks for the VBF file.
N.B. please remember to unzip the files before use. the forum will not let us attach the file with vbf extension.
Answers in line above.
I tried it again.. Failed again. I'll have to try it with the charger attached when I get the charger back from the back of my GFs car.

Last edited by harryf; 05-06-2020 at 02:56 PM.
Old 05-06-2020, 03:33 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi everyone, just a few tips in case you didn't know:

If you have an internet enabled SDD you could just go to the settings and tell SDD to download every single vbf compatible with the Jag XF ot every Jag and LR cars. This way you will have every vbf to try, X250 vbfs are not updated anymore.

The vbf files for the amps that ends with -Cx ar for the MID-8, the ones that ends with -Ax are for the HIGH-12, the ones that ends with -Bx are for the PREM-16, just like the AMP P/N. If you do the job well you will have both ecu_sw_pn and cal_01_pn in the module information finishing with -Bx for the PREM-16.

@harryf Before I successfully flashed the AMP, I just remembered I tried a wrong vbf that wasn't made for that AMP, and got the error blocks you also got because the file was bigger than the AMP memory. I'm not sure DX23-19C164-BA is fully compatible with the XF but I might be wrong, I thought only AW93 and BJ32 amps were compatible. Give also a shot to AW93-14C526-BR file for the firmware. The right (and only) latest version calibration file for B&W PREM-16 for X250 XFs is CX23-14C527-BD.

My successful combination was AW93-19C164-BR AMP with
BJ32-14C526-BG firmware and CX23-14C527-BD calibration file. I now see them in the AAM info section.

I hope I was helpful and I'm sorry I can't help you more. If you want any screenshot or photos I could post them if you want.

Good luck to everyone, just keep in mind that after all, this sorround is worth the suffering!

The following 2 users liked this post by Il_Boros:
ABrice (05-07-2020), cclaypool1967 (05-06-2020)
Old 05-06-2020, 05:23 PM

Thanks Il_Boros for the information. It's been a while since I used SDD, I was trying to load it on Win10 64Bit recently but apparently my VXDIAG adapter only works with 32 Bit windows. I may try to load win10 32 Bit on a spare old laptop and try that as I only have it running properly on an old Samsung laptop with Win7 and that uses SDD 1.53 I think. I've got it SDD 1.59 working on the newer Dell laptop but it's 64Bit so the VXDIAG adapter doesn't work. I'm downloading the calibration and as built files now. I forgot about that feature as it used to popup automatically to retrieve the proper files.
I'm pretty sure that the DX23-19C164-BA works on a XF as Cambo had said that a while back.and I couldn't find an older model Bx models.
Now to drive back down to my GF's place, but she doesn't want to see me because of coronavirus and not knowing where my adult children have been recently. Crazy times!

Last edited by harryf; 05-06-2020 at 05:27 PM.
Old 05-07-2020, 01:28 PM

Thanks Il_Boros for the information. It's been a while since I used SDD, I was trying to load it on Win10 64Bit recently but apparently my VXDIAG adapter only works with 32 Bit windows. I may try to load win10 32 Bit on a spare old laptop and try that as I only have it running properly on an old Samsung laptop with Win7 and that uses SDD 1.53 I think. I've got it SDD 1.59 working on the newer Dell laptop but it's 64Bit so the VXDIAG adapter doesn't work. I'm downloading the calibration and as built files now. I forgot about that feature as it used to popup automatically to retrieve the proper files.
I'm pretty sure that the DX23-19C164-BA works on a XF as Cambo had said that a while back.and I couldn't find an older model Bx models.
Now to drive back down to my GF's place, but she doesn't want to see me because of coronavirus and not knowing where my adult children have been recently. Crazy times!
From your car configuration I only see one problem and that's the number of loudspeakers. I am not sure if it will cause any problem but I compare it to mine which was factory fitted. in the xml file, you should not touch any of audio settings, they should be all set to 00 (undefined). this is the string at line ~65. then in ECUD string that is around line number 9050, you need to select premium, etc. that seems you have done it correctly.

if you want to use your Mangoose pro in win 10, 64bit, download the 64bit driver from their official website. it's free to download and works with clones:
https://ecutools.eu/chip-tuning/mongoose_pro_jlr/

I think the only problem is that SDD thinks your AAM is mid-8. I guess below method works and it only works if you make SDD to think it's first time you have connected your car to it. this way it says as built data missing and tries to extract it from a zip file that is located in:
C:\ProgramData\JLR\IDS\Sessions\SOFTWARE_MANAGEMEN T\SM_AS_BUILT

please note that I am using V159, on win10 and installed SDD in default drive (c. for my MY2012 car, there is zip file called: X250_2012_3.ZIP it includes asbuild config based on VIN for about 2000 cars.
also note program data is a hidden folder. If you don't have this file or similar in that folder, remove all files in program files and program data folders that includes you vin number to make SDD think it's first time connected to your car. then do a diagnosis and under recommendation you should see that asbuild data missing and there is function to run. if you connect to internet it will download the correct file. If you already see this function without removing files related to your sessions then probably you can skip above step. (I haven't tried it)

Unzip the zip file, find the xml file for your car using VIN. open it with a text or xml editor. search for "AAM". You should see something like this:
<module gmrdb_acronym="AAM"><node_id>0x7A5</node_id><part_set><part did="0xF112" gmrdb_name="ECU_ASSEMBLY_PN"><part_number type="WERS">CX23-18C808-BF</part_number>

You probably see something ending in -CV instead of emboldened text above. you can use mine (my AAM is labeled as "BJ32-19C164-BF") or "DX23-18C808-BE" or -BA. You can also try files close to your VIN to find one with premium audio for a better guess but I think any of them should work.
Save the file. zip the whole folder back and replace with the original one.
repeat above-mentioned step to make SDD say asbuild data missing. this time block internet and let it use the file that you have prepared.

All these is to make SDD let you flash correct vbf file. in fact after this it will probably recommend you the correct files and you can use internet instead of renaming files.

The following 3 users liked this post by Hamedhbb:
ABrice (05-07-2020), cclaypool1967 (05-07-2020), Il_Boros (05-07-2020)
Old 05-07-2020, 03:42 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Hamedhbb
From your car configuration I only see one problem and that's the number of loudspeakers. I am not sure if it will cause any problem but I compare it to mine which was factory fitted. in the xml file, you should not touch any of audio settings, they should be all set to 00 (undefined). this is the string at line ~65. then in ECUD string that is around line number 9050, you need to select premium, etc. that seems you have done it correctly.

if you want to use your Mangoose pro in win 10, 64bit, download the 64bit driver from their official website. it's free to download and works with clones:
https://ecutools.eu/chip-tuning/mongoose_pro_jlr/

I think the only problem is that SDD thinks your AAM is mid-8. I guess below method works and it only works if you make SDD to think it's first time you have connected your car to it. this way it says as built data missing and tries to extract it from a zip file that is located in:
C:\ProgramData\JLR\IDS\Sessions\SOFTWARE_MANAGEMEN T\SM_AS_BUILT

please note that I am using V159, on win10 and installed SDD in default drive (c. for my MY2012 car, there is zip file called: X250_2012_3.ZIP it includes asbuild config based on VIN for about 2000 cars.
also note program data is a hidden folder. If you don't have this file or similar in that folder, remove all files in program files and program data folders that includes you vin number to make SDD think it's first time connected to your car. then do a diagnosis and under recommendation you should see that asbuild data missing and there is function to run. if you connect to internet it will download the correct file. If you already see this function without removing files related to your sessions then probably you can skip above step. (I haven't tried it)

Unzip the zip file, find the xml file for your car using VIN. open it with a text or xml editor. search for "AAM". You should see something like this:
<module gmrdb_acronym="AAM"><node_id>0x7A5</node_id><part_set><part did="0xF112" gmrdb_name="ECU_ASSEMBLY_PN"><part_number type="WERS">CX23-18C808-BF</part_number>

You probably see something ending in -CV instead of emboldened text above. you can use mine (my AAM is labeled as "BJ32-19C164-BF") or "DX23-18C808-BE" or -BA. You can also try files close to your VIN to find one with premium audio for a better guess but I think any of them should work.
Save the file. zip the whole folder back and replace with the original one.
repeat above-mentioned step to make SDD say asbuild data missing. this time block internet and let it use the file that you have prepared.

All these is to make SDD let you flash correct vbf file. in fact after this it will probably recommend you the correct files and you can use internet instead of renaming files.
Whoa, this is very useful for my future experiments! I wish I knew this when I was trying to flash my amp before it worked. Thank You!

Hamedhbb (05-07-2020)
Old 05-07-2020, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Il_Boros
Whoa, this is very useful for my future experiments! I wish I knew this when I was trying to flash my amp before it worked. Thank You!
No worries, I have learned many of these in this forum with help of you guys. It also means I have tried everything to take mine back to life as well!

would one of you guys with premium audio confirms that so long as you switch to dolby or dts, it will make the sound virtually surround? Or it has to be a surround audio file to start with? The way I check it is to set the balance to rear end and see if parcel shelf speakers make any sound.

Unfortunately I think my AAM is broken but funny enough I am going to replace one chip that I guess might be faulty. Currently mine works like a mid-8 with higher quality sound.

That’s my last shot before replacing the AAM.

Quick Reply: Upgrading audio amplifier - what am I doing wrong?