XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

urgent help :XF supercharged not starting

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014 | 03:42 PM
|
Default urgent help :XF supercharged not starting

I was waxing(interior) my jag today. suddenly realized that side lights(front and rear) are on. tried to turn them off but no luck. tried starting it didn't start. tried jump starting still didn't work. not sure what happened with the car. any idea why side lamps are on and not turning off and why car not starting. brakes are hard. screen turn on but nothing else happens.even automatic windows are not working.

need urgent help. appreciate in advance any help.

Old 04-13-2014 | 04:17 PM
Veteran member

Ravi, first off, welcome to the Forums. Lots of good information here for you to sink your teeth into. But, we pride ourselves in being a better car group that others. Part of that is we like to get to know one another. As you will find out, this makes for a very comfortable place to hang out. This also gives you a chance to meet those that make this place what it is. So, please stop by the New Member Section and tell us a little bit about yourself.

As for your problem, it is sounding like to me that one of your electronics modules (GEM module most likely) has suffered a failure and it is now not acting like it should. When module like this goes, unless you just blindly replace it hoping that it was the issue, you will end up at a repair place to have them diagnose the car. If you are still under warrantee, I would say to take it into the dealership. At a minimum though, I would disconnect the battery, leave it off for a few minutes and then put it back on to see if simply rebooting the modules of the car will fix it (sometimes, but it is something you can do yourself for no cost). If that doesn't fix your issue, then I would still leave the battery disconnected so you are not replacing a battery too.

Old 04-13-2014 | 04:24 PM

+1 on Thermo's recommendations. I've moved the post from the General Tech Help to the XF/XFR section for greater visibility/response.

As Thermo mentioned please visit the New Member section when you have a moment to introduce yourself:

New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Old 04-13-2014 | 04:38 PM
|

Hi Chris thanks for replying so quick. How do I disconnect the battery? its xf supercharged
Thanks
ravi

Old 04-13-2014 | 11:23 PM
Veteran member

Ravi, the battery is located in the trunk (open the trunk, lift up on the cover over the spare tire, look to your right). From there, you can manipulate the leads. Granted, in my investigation, I also found out that your car has a battery monitoring system that can be de-calibrated by simply disconnecting and reconnecting the battery (hopefully one of the other members can talk more about this as I am not familiar with this). It may be that someone in the past has disconnected the battery and now the system is thinking that the battery is too low on its charge (or is sensing a problem) and it is trying to protect itself. If this is the case, there is a diagnostic routine that the dealership can do to get the system back to where it needs to be.

Option 2 would be to look in your owners manual and pull the fuse for the ECU/ECM. You will know that you powered the ECU/ECM down as the tripometer will be at 0.0 when you start the car. By pulling the fuse, you do not affect the battery monitoring system.

The following users liked this post:
ravipspundir (04-14-2014)
Old 04-14-2014 | 11:32 AM
|

Thanks again Chris. Actually nothing was wrong with the car. Called the Jaguar dealer in Madison NJ and they told me if battery is low this car behaves like that. so called for road side assistance the first guy couldn't start it, called another. he came and use a bigger jumper it started fine. but now the issue is as I was getting it towed (the second guy) to dealer the car was not in neutral so dealer guy told be to use emergency tag pull which brought it to neutral but car is showing transmission failure and gear N.

thanks
Ravi

Old 04-14-2014 | 03:47 PM
Veteran member

Ravi, because you "forced" the car into neutral, the computer sees it as "loosing control" of the tranny and will therefore give the error code. so, I would consider this normal based on the situation. Get the new battery put into the car and then see what you have at that point.

The following users liked this post:
ravipspundir (04-14-2014)
Old 04-14-2014 | 04:19 PM
|

i tried dropping the lever (with that red tag) fast and it worked. it brought the car to parking mode. but ya my car need battery change now . taking it to dealer tomorrow. and thanks a lot buddy.
Best
Ravi