XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

USB Audio

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 04:01 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010 Kyanite XFR
What bitrate did you use? What MY is your XF?

It works fine with 128 or 320kbps. No issues. 2009 SC

Old 09-18-2013, 09:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For anyone interested - I've twigged what's going on with tracks that don't play - for me anyway and hopefully applies to all.

When none of my tracks would play where artist names began with S onwards, I finally realised that would be about the 999th(ish) track. It seems to me the system can only cater for up to 999 folders or tracks at root or per sub-folder. So at root level and more than 999 tracks then depending on the order they were stored on the USB drive, only the first 999 will be accessed.

The same goes if you have a single folder that contains more than 999 tracks. Or if you have more than 999 folders at root level.

You should be able to have a mix of a total of up to 999 tracks or folders within each folder starting a root.

The answer I found is to put all my songs into folders by Genre. The music I have in my XF covers 14 Genres, so I have 14 folders and the max number of songs in any of these folders is 400 and I've found music by all bands are now played ok. Obviously anyone could subdivide by albums within this or have a folder per Artist (which I think some on here have).

Whether I have an issue with higher bitrates I'm not sure because I had everything in the root folder originally - that may be a red herring in my case so I will try with a higher bitrate when I get the time.

Certainly, I found ensuring the tags are all encoded to ID3v2.3 UTF-16 as per my previous post means track names always display now.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:32 AM
Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

LOL.....when do you find time to listen to all these wonderful songs ??

Old 09-19-2013, 04:43 AM

*lol* Yes I see your point - I didn't listen to all of the 1,400 or so I have on my USB drive. Previously only the first 999 would play and artists starting S onward never played. So a trip to work and I kept on flicking to the next track every few seconds (made my thumb ache!) and I found a good range of songs were played including loads in the last folders to be written to the USB drive, rather than a limited range I was getting before.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts

Thanks for the time you've spent figuring this out. Will save me unknown grief. Ice down that thumb on the side of a frozen beer glass. You've earned it!

Old 10-24-2013, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 323 Posts

on my 2011 XF it does not recognize folders on the USB, it plays all the mp3s no matter where they are on the USB.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default using a USB

Hi,

First post here.

wrto using the USB for music input:

Following on from what someone said earlier - it is quite important to have a directory just below the Root on your USB.

So my Directory looks like: Root - Music - then my folders for Albums.

I have tried having Genre folders which worked fine - loads of levels are possible.

Without that seemingly unnecessary overall 'Music' folder I couldn't select any folders from the USB.

Incidentally, my 2011 Premium Luxury pre-facelift car plays WMA fine and bit-rate seems irrelevant - mine are 320kbps.

Have about 50 albums on the stick - pretty satisfied with interface and usage.

My car does have the optional IPod dock which I don't use because I can't bear anything to do with Apple (bought car as a cancelled order).

My stick was formatted as FAT32 - this is still the default format in which they are delivered and should not be anything you need to worry about.

Old 05-17-2015, 10:35 PM

I know this is an old thread, but as my problem is related to the USB audio, I guess its time to revive it !!

I am able to sort my music in folders and am able to play it on my USB, except at certain times as below

- The car will not identify the USB. Keeps on saying "Dock device". Usually works if I unplug and plug it again. It happens sporadically. There will be days when I will have no problem. And others, when it will ask for it every morning I start my car. Sometimes, it will not even recognize it and I have to just give up trying

- Secondly, it will not let me play a specific song. I can see the list in a subfolder, but if I press a particular song, doesnt matter if its the 3rd or the 10th, it always start with the first song in that particular folder.

Any help with this will be appreciated !!

Old 05-18-2015, 10:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 257 Likes on 200 Posts

Have them re-flash the audio module. There is a TSB out for audio problems.

Old 05-19-2015, 06:20 AM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by KDot
I know this is an old thread, but as my problem is related to the USB audio, I guess its time to revive it !!

I am able to sort my music in folders and am able to play it on my USB, except at certain times as below

- The car will not identify the USB. Keeps on saying "Dock device". Usually works if I unplug and plug it again. It happens sporadically. There will be days when I will have no problem. And others, when it will ask for it every morning I start my car. Sometimes, it will not even recognize it and I have to just give up trying

- Secondly, it will not let me play a specific song. I can see the list in a subfolder, but if I press a particular song, doesnt matter if its the 3rd or the 10th, it always start with the first song in that particular folder.

Any help with this will be appreciated !!
KDot,

What size stick are you using? If it's more than a 32gb, it is going to keep asking you to dock every time you start the car, as well as taking forever to load. I tried a 64gb and had the same issues. Going with a 32gb stick took care of everything.

Old 05-23-2015, 03:56 AM

Some sticks have boot loaders or security/encryption partitions on them by default. You need to use something like partitionmagic to examine the structure of your stick and check that it has no 'system' areas, as these may be looked at in preference to your default partition. Use a stick with only one partition, and nothing security-related on it.

Fletch

Old 05-24-2015, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by ttboonie
KDot,

What size stick are you using? If it's more than a 32gb, it is going to keep asking you to dock every time you start the car, as well as taking forever to load. I tried a 64gb and had the same issues. Going with a 32gb stick took care of everything.
It is 16 GB.

I'll have the dealer take a look at it the next time I have to go to them.

Until then, I guess I am going to try reformatting, and loading everything again and see what happens.

Thank you all for your responses.

Old 10-17-2017, 11:36 AM

I know this is an old thread but...

I have a 256 gig (fat 32) usb drive that is close to full with music. Sorted by artist then album. I cannot navigate to any artist beyond a certain point (alphabet letter J). I have no problems with playing anything up to here. Also ipod that works with no flaws but 120 gig capacity. I want to listen using usb drive (easy to store, carry, etc.) It seems jag dropped the ball on this.

Why so much music? Because I can. Naysayers hold on. I have a very large collection of many different types of music that I listen to regularly. Want to take advantage of having the entire collection with me anywhere I go on one drive. In addition, others in my car may want to hear jazz, blues, country. Currently, I can accommodate only with a limited selection. With the system able to read the entire usb drive, I can accommodate fully.

So I'm looking for the best solution. If you have one (other than splitting the catalogue between usb and ipod), I would love to hear.

Old 10-18-2017, 07:42 AM
Default Mmjjag's USB music

He - I had a problem with just a 32gb USB stick where it wasn't playing all music. After a bit of experimentation I thought there might be some sort of limit on the number of music files the system can handle per folder. I had tried all music in the root but once I reorganised so music was by genre (I used 14 genres) and I had at most 400 songs in a folder so I was well under 999 songs per folder (I guessed might be a limit), it found the songs ok. However I did find the random play (Mix button) not effective and have given up - use an old 32gb iPhone now as an iPod and that works great with just about enough music for me once it's compressed.

I had also tried re-tagging music to remove album covers and ensuring tags were only in ID3 v2.3 format encoded in UTF-16 and that all music was at mp3 bitrate 128. That all helped loading speed for a larger collection and solved a problem I had with some tag info not appearing. See my posts from a couple of years back.