XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

USB Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 03:32 PM
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Default USB Issues

I recently bought a 2009 XF and am having a few issues with the USB port.

I did some reading and got a 32gb stick to use for music, made sure it was formatted to FAT32 and that all the tracks have the same bitrate.

When I put it in the first time it worked perfectly so happy days. Next time I went to use it, it kept saying it wasn't docked. removed it and replaced it several times with the same message. Anyone got any suggestions ?

Old 02-02-2018, 06:33 PM
Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by tberry6686
I recently bought a 2009 XF and am having a few issues with the USB port.

I did some reading and got a 32gb stick to use for music, made sure it was formatted to FAT32 and that all the tracks have the same bitrate.

When I put it in the first time it worked perfectly so happy days. Next time I went to use it, it kept saying it wasn't docked. removed it and replaced it several times with the same message. Anyone got any suggestions ?
Did you ever figure out a solution to this...? If not, let me know and I may have a fix for you. I was previously experiencing the same issue.

Old 02-04-2018, 02:25 PM
Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Why not just share the fix for the good of the group????

Old 02-04-2018, 05:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,529 Likes on 3,939 Posts

Originally Posted by timfountain
Why not just share the fix for the good of the group????
Re-read the posts! No fix appears to have been done - right? One "may" be available...

Be interesting to hear it, though.

Old 02-04-2018, 10:42 PM
Default Sandisk Wireless Flash Drive

I was having the exact same issue, with my rear USB port used for the RSE. I would fiddle around with it, and get it working. However, when I restarted the my car the port doesnt recognize that there's a USB present anymore. I've purchased serveral thumb drives, and I luckily found one that's acknowleded by the USB every time.

The Sandisk wireless stick. Essentially it has its own wifi signal, and you can locate it just like a router and transfer files on it, without it being plugged into a computer. It's a great capability, however I didn't need for it for that. This is the only thumb drive that my car consistently recognizes.

These are very inexpensive and they come in the typical 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, and 200GB sizes. Please note that if you purchase one that is 32GB or smaller it will be already formatted in the FAT32 format. 64GB or higher will come default in exFAT format. As such, you will have to format it to FAT32. You car should still acknowledge it, but you won't be able to play any media from it. Formatting it to FAT32 is easy. If you need assistance let me know.

I hope this helps.

Old 02-05-2018, 01:23 PM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Quickest fix that works most of the time for me is to turn off the media player by pushing in the volume knob, then turning it back on. Something resets and the music starts right up for me.

Old 02-05-2018, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by fabfive
Quickest fix that works most of the time for me is to turn off the media player by pushing in the volume knob, then turning it back on. Something resets and the music starts right up for me.
That may work too. I've never tried that. The only problem that I forsee, is if you turn the car off in the middle of your media. Will the media resume from your last location or will you have to fast forward...? With the Sandisk wireless stick, it will resume from your last track and time on both audio and video. This may not be a big deal with audio but for video, it is. But again, I discovered this issue with the rear seat USB port. My front seat USB works just fine with any thumb drive. So your solution may very well be the quickest fix for the front USB. Thanks for the heads up.