XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Used 2009 Jaguar XF LUXURY Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 07:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used 2009 Jaguar XF LUXURY Reliability

I have the opportunity to buy a used 2009 Jaguar XF Luxury with approx 97,000 miles. Have any of you had any problems or would you have any concerns or questions before purchasing this car? It looks clean on the inside and outside. What you would pay for one of these cars?

Thanks,
Chad

Old 09-01-2017, 08:36 AM
Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts

The 4.2 engine is extremely reliable. I've had the 5.0 in my old XJ and it was a good engine too.. but had issues with water pumps and noisy chain tensioners. I chose to have a 2009 XF for my daily because of the 4.2

Plenty of 4.2 engines out there with 200k miles..

The transmission will be due for a fluid / pan/ filter change. That kit can be had on eBay.

the rest of the car is pretty reliable, but things can get funky when the battery starts to go. Always make sure the battery is new and in top shape.

Just for comparison.. I got my 2009 XF premium from Jag dealer for $10,900. Clean carfax w/ 95k miles.

How much are they asking?

Joe

Old 09-01-2017, 07:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,107 Likes on 695 Posts

Key with higher mileage Jaguars is knowing its service history. If they can't show its been serviced regularly, then its very risky. I'd say its only worth half as much without service records. After 100K, Jaguar says little about maintenance schedules, apparently hoping the third owner stops maintaining the car altogether and just drives it into the ground from that point. WE recommend ALL the fluids be replaced about this time along with inspecting all the hoses and belts with potential for replacement. That level of service can be expensive, but will minimize chances for catastrophic failures before 200K. Plan for it as if it's part of the purchase price, part of the initial investment.

Parts availability is another thing to think about. Because its a rare car, when things break, parts aren't exactly in stock at the local parts store, rather they'll have to be ordered. And in just a couple of years if not already, the Jaguar dealer will start telling you "that part is no longer available" particularly with soft parts like trim, weatherstrip or interior stuff. That leaves you hunting salvage yards and online for good used replacements. Mechanical parts can be gotten with patience, but look over all the soft parts carefully to make sure you're not going to need to replace any soon or that you're at least willing to live with the condition.

I'd also make sure to go through ALL the electrics and make sure everything works, cycle the sunroof, set the cruise control, enter a navigation destination, etc. Even check that you can pair it with your phone. With any modern luxury car, Jaguar, Mercedes, Cadillac, fixing the electrics tends to be some of the most expensive and more frequent of repairs. You don't want to buy it and find out after two weeks that something you'd use infrequently, like the intermittent wipers needs repair.

Good luck with your Jaguar shopping.