XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

V6 SC engine failure

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 261 Posts
Default V6 SC engine failure

Just got my XF back today after a new engine was installed.

No issues with the warranty and I was provided with a new JLR loaner vehicle for the entire period required for the repair, four weeks.

The engine suddenly failed internally exhibiting knocking, misfiring and oil burning dumping oil into the left bank catalytic converter which was also then replaced. Cold oil pressure at idle remained within spec at 40 psi and even after the failure the sump was only 0.5 litre low, just at the first add oil stage. Most of that missing oil was blown into the exhaust. Before the failure oil consumption was effectively zero.

The supercharger snout was also replaced due to play in the coupler. Anyone with a supercharged engine might be wise to specifically ask for this to be checked at each regular service as the couplers are known to be a weak link.

A new water pump was fitted as the original was beginning to leak, a problem previously noted by others.

Pretty impressed by Jaguar's service despite this serious defect.

Still love this car.

Old 06-06-2015, 01:24 PM
Received 103 Likes on 49 Posts

My local dealership here in San Diego was also reporting a few bottom end failures in the 3.0L supercharged engines. I wonder if there is an underlying design issue in these motors.

Glad to hear everything is back to normal for your XF. It's also great to see someone take a situation like this in stride. Usually people start to bash Jaguar for any issue they encounter.

Old 06-06-2015, 09:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 274 Posts

Def something to make note of. Thanks.

Old 06-07-2015, 12:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts
Default V6 SC engine failure

When I read your post I remembered that when I took my car in the get the supercharger coolant pump replaced that my car was delayed because the shop had been really backed up because of a couple of replaced engines. Guess I should have asked which ones

Old 06-07-2015, 07:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When Ford supercharged their 3.8 for the Thunderbird years ago, they had to beef up the bottom end. Expect Jaguar did the same - hope it was enough. Disconcerting that your damage didn't show in a loss of oil pressure. But glad to hear Jaguar stood by their warranty - that was really major.

Old 06-08-2015, 06:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Sorry to hear, but looks like you are back on line. Is this specific to 6 cylinder engines?

Old 06-08-2015, 07:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jaguny
Sorry to hear, but looks like you are back on line. Is this specific to 6 cylinder engines?
At the moment all I know for sure is it is specific to the particular engine installed in my XF in May of 2013. The mechanics I have spoken to suggest they've had a "couple" of these engines fail. The shop foreman informed me that they had a rash of these failures all at low mileages and all within a few weeks of each other. I didn't ask when or how many.

There have been very few reports of the supercharged 4.2 V8 failing, on this board but nowhere else.

I am curious whether the balance shaft mechanism might be the cause since that's the only significant difference between the V6 and the V8.

The following users liked this post:
jaguny (06-09-2015)
Old 08-11-2015, 06:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You've got me worried now.

My car has 10,000kms (6,000miles) and I've had no problems so far.

Have the damaged engines been driven hard, or, did they just fail?

Old 08-11-2015, 08:46 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Shanncon
You've got me worried now.

My car has 10,000kms (6,000miles) and I've had no problems so far.

Have the damaged engines been driven hard, or, did they just fail?
They just fail for no obvious reason. I drive mine hard but nobody asked me about that.

You either have one of the very few bad ones in which case it's going to fail soon or more likely you have a good one and it will run forever.

Nobody in the service shop was surprised to see my failed engine but they have replaced only a few.

Old 08-11-2015, 11:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jagular
They just fail for no obvious reason. I drive mine hard but nobody asked me about that.

You either have one of the very few bad ones in which case it's going to fail soon or more likely you have a good one and it will run forever.

Nobody in the service shop was surprised to see my failed engine but they have replaced only a few.
Jagular, thanks for sharing your experience. I'm concerned now too. I have a 2013 XF 3.0, with 7600 miles. No problems whatsoever so far. Jaguar does not sell many cars in North America, so it might be hard to get a good sample rate for the problem. If dealerships have seen this before on relatively new cars, this could become more serious later for the rest of the 3.0 SC engines built during the same model year. Is there a technical service bulletin from Jaguar describing this engine failure as a known issue?

Old 08-12-2015, 09:50 AM
Veteran Member

I imagine the dealerships have been informed. I am quite sure Jaguar won't say even if asked.

I was very impressed that I received no push back whatsoever from Jaguar. They accepted the fault as covered by the warranty with not a single question asked.

I am on very good terms with the shop staff at my local dealer (customer since 1980) so when they tell me they've had a few failures like this I accept that. Still, despite my good relationship I'm not being told what the fault was.

From the symptoms I suspect piston failure.

Old 05-04-2019, 07:10 PM
Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts
Default 3.0 SC kabang

my xf 3.0 sc with 84,000 km just blew up... a very bad knock started on the highway...immediately pulled over and the knocking was very loud and very obvious sounding rod or crank bearing .... before this the car ran flawlessly is in mint condition and fully OCD maintenance..oils, fluids, cooling everything....great engine when running but now i’m nervous as it’s a 18k fix..... my xkr has 160,000 km with zero issues
plus the six sounds like ****....stuck it a hard place.
otherwise i love the XF ...it drives incredibly well....until it implodes....

Old 05-04-2019, 09:34 PM

i need a “go fund me page” lol

b

Old 05-04-2019, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by patrickw813
My local dealership here in San Diego was also reporting a few bottom end failures in the 3.0L supercharged engines. I wonder if there is an underlying design issue in these motors.

Glad to hear everything is back to normal for your XF. It's also great to see someone take a situation like this in stride. Usually people start to bash Jaguar for any issue they encounter.
i believe there is an issue.... mine blew up without warning ever abused perfectly maintained...i keep seeing these little v6 engines with catastrophic failure....not cool when you spend 50k on a car....i would love to hear from Jaguar on this issue...it appears like they are dropping this engine in the next 2 years...wonder why...

Old 05-04-2019, 09:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,239 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Originally Posted by bfarrell
i believe there is an issue.... mine blew up without warning ever abused perfectly maintained...i keep seeing these little v6 engines with catastrophic failure....not cool when you spend 50k on a car....i would love to hear from Jaguar on this issue...it appears like they are dropping this engine in the next 2 years...wonder why...
They are dropping it in the next year or so because it is built in the Ford Bridgend plant (in Wales) under a deal with Ford which expires in 2020 and there is little or no chance of the deal being renewed.
Same with the AJ133 V8.
Also the V6 has been slated to be replaced by an Ingenium I6 for a few years now, it's just that JLR have been a bit slow to bring the I6 into production.