XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

valve train

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2020, 09:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default valve train

new to the Jag world and have just bought a 2012 portfolio sport NA 5.0. Upon start up the vale train makes a good amount of noise like lifters or tapets. once off high idle it settles down some, but once you give a bit of gas you can hear them again. The car only has 67K on it so Im having a hard time believing they would need adjusting. Has anyone else had a similar issue like this?

Old 05-11-2020, 08:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,134 Likes on 708 Posts

Are you sure its valves? These engines are direct injected which makes a clicking sound a like a diesel and they are not quiet but that's normal. Now some at higher mileage have developed issues with the timing chain guides wearing where they engage the tensioners. This is reputed to be louder on startup, a bit clattery, not like a consistent tick, and quiets a bit as the oil heats up (I haven't heard it, only read about it on here). That's serious, but 67k would be about the earliest I've read of that, usually like 85K to 125K. A cheap mechanic's stethoscope can help track down what part of the engine its coming from.

Amazon Amazon

Old 05-12-2020, 02:50 AM
les
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

They are a noisy engine, but, when you take the revs to about 1,500, the noise is a lot less. You might have a problem with the timing chains and tensioners and that's a big job.
Best to get it checked out and don't go to a main dealer unless you have more money than sense. Find a good Indie.

Old 05-12-2020, 06:12 AM
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Sounds exactly like mine, its the fuel pump.

At cold start I get a buzz that goes away when the car kicks down to low idle after warming up..I chacked it out and figured out it si the High Pressure fuel pump at tthe front of the moator ( noisy fuel pumos are a known issue and even mentioend in a jaguar service bulletin.

Orginal bosch pumps can be had for $150 from anywhere execpt the jaguar dealer. ( Got mine from rock auto)

To check if that's the issue open the hood and remove the engine cover (it pops off with a bit of force) and start the car. While on high idle touch the fuel line that goes across the from of the engine and wait till the idle settles down. You should feel the vibration at the same frequency until it settles down and then after the noise ends it will feel like a slight pulsation. Alternatively, you can use a mechanic's stethoscope to do the same. (or go old school and use a screwdriver against the fuel line and the butt against your ear - thanks for that idea to Bigg Will on here, never heard that one before his suggestion- I did that with a mini prybar that has a metal shank going through it, worked like a charm.

Mine has been like that for a while, I have the pump jut never got around to it. From what I read, its just noise but if I see any running issues or lights, It is annoying in the mornings and when I start the car in public I will probably do it this summer.

n

Old 05-12-2020, 07:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a diesel truck and it sounds nothing like that. The noise reminds me of the old Ford 289 Hi Po with solid lifters very similar sound. the sound is definitely not a buzzing sound, entirely different. As I said it does calm down after high idle but the sound is still there. It will be going back to the dealer I bought it from as I do have a warranty for 2 months need to get it fixed before then or it comes out of my pocket.