XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Varex active exhaust install

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 07:06 AM
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Varex active exhaust install

After doing a lot of research and more importantly test driving the new F-type from Jaguar, I've decided to take the plunge and install active remote-controlled exhaust on my 2011 XFR.

Here is the link to the Varex site for those of you who haven't seen it:

XForce. Performance Mufflers, Exhaust Systems & Accessories. About the Varex™ remote controlled Sports muffler.

And a brief description of the system:

VAREX mufflers combine both the design technology of the stock muffler and the performance muffler into one single compact unit. A sophisticated butterflyvalve mechanism is implemented to redirect the exhaust gas flow and vary be-tween the two.

For higher sound level, the exhaust flows are directed through the opening path and produces maximum power with a robust sound level (or the “sports car note”) and near-zero resistance. Whilst for lower sound level, the exhaust flows are directed through the chambered path (similar design with the stock muffler), and produces minimum sound level that gives you the best in-car comfort.

Angle of the valve is also controllable, which can be adjusted to stop at any point between sports mode and silence mode. This gives you further freedom to set the optimal sound level according to your desired preference.
There was a thread that was instrumental in my decision that you can view here:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...cutouts-76355/

And a great video by member "vs2" illustrating the system installed on his XFR:

I ordered the twin VMK10-250 mufflers from the Varex US distributor, Modern Automotive Performance. The mufflers were $450 each with free shipping (being shipped directly from the manufacturer in Australia). I'll still need to pay for installation and new tips.

I'll keep everyone updated here as I progress.

Old 06-10-2013, 02:28 PM

UPDATE: Mufflers were ordered on the 6th and they arrived here today (the 10th). Not bad for having come directly from Australia. Again... $450 each including free shipping.

I'll pull them from the boxes tonight and snap some photos.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:26 AM
Default Mufflers are IN!

I picked up my car last night from the local exhaust shop where I had the mufflers installed.

I was kept informed throughout the process by the technician (also the owner) throughout the process. He texted me photos and updates as they occurred. In all, the car was with them two days due to their supplier of the new exhaust tips shipping two left hand ones by mistake.

Installation was not straightforward. This is definitely not a bolt on application. That having been said, any good muffler shop can easily handle it. New bent tubing sections needed to be created to get everything to fit and preserve perfect flow.

We ended up tapping a direct power lead from the battery and mounting a relay and fuse in the rear fuse area. Very clean install and I'm very happy with it.

I've only had the chance to drive it this morning (as my wife got to drive it home from the shop last night), but I can say without hesitation or doubt, that the new exhaust is AWESOME! With the valves closed, the sound is 100% as stock, very quiet, and as we all know perhaps more demure than a base model XF.

Open, however, the beast is released! At idle, the volume is nearly identical, but with a deeper note to it. Once you get on the throttle, however, you get a deep, throaty howl worthy of the Jaguar namesake. Volume is perfectly acceptable for daily driving. Only at higher RPM does it get people's heads turning to watch you go by...

So... all in I've got just under $1800 into the exhaust. That includes parts, labor, taxes, shipping... everything. I find that completely acceptable as the Mina Gallery exhaust system runs $825 plus shipping (whereas I paid $900 including shipping from Australia!). Installation would be considerably easier for the Mina, but I feel that the flexibility of sound ranging from perfectly quiet to ultra-performance is more than worth the few hundred dollars difference.

HIGHLY recommended!

Here are a few photos of the exhaust parts and the final install. I'll try to get some good video up tomorrow of the sound inside and outside the car.

Attached Thumbnails Varex active exhaust install-img_20130611_053705_523.jpg   Varex active exhaust install-img_20130611_053717_782.jpg   Varex active exhaust install-img_20130611_053730_143.jpg   Varex active exhaust install-img_20130611_053813_367.jpg   Varex active exhaust install-img_20130620_080941_136.jpg  

Varex active exhaust install-img_20130620_080953_708.jpg   Varex active exhaust install-img_20130620_081010_000.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
BigCat09 (06-21-2013)
Old 06-20-2013, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

So, the "active mufflers" went in place of the stock ones? Can the system be activated any time?

Looking forward to the videos.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:57 AM

The Varex mufflers are a replacement for the stock mufflers and they're opened and closed via keyfob wirelessly. I'm going to make a mount for the fob so that it stays in easy reach, likely on the side of the tunnel or similar.

It can be opened and closed at any time. It takes about 2 seconds to fully actuate in either direction.

Very high quality parts.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Great!
It seems like the guys did a good job of mounting it all. Just by looking at the tips, it doesn't look like anyone touched it.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:23 AM

Well... here you go. A few clips of sound both in and out of the cockpit.

The clip at the end showing the exhaust in the close position did something funky... I think the sound overloaded the mic on the camera, which is why it sounds weird.

At any rate... you get the idea!

BigCat09 (06-21-2013)
Old 06-21-2013, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts

Great pix and video!!!!! I wish these have come along 5 years ago in this type of form. Instead we just had those electronic cut outs that were a lil rough around the edges. I hope more companies make more of these types soon. The 1 my buddy has on his GTR is same as this but made for the GTR only and is awesome! His remote is so tiny and he can open it at any % he wants for just the right volume.

Old 02-16-2016, 10:54 AM
Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by FastCat2011
Well... here you go.
Thank's a lot for posting this info FastCat, I am currently in the process of getting these installed. I know this post from a while ago, but do you have any pictures of how you routed the wires into the trunk or any instructions? Would rather follow your lead than find a new path for the wires.

Also, how have they been holding up now that it's been a couple of years?

Old 02-17-2016, 04:45 AM

I dont' actually have any pics of the wire routing. My exhaust shop did the entire install, so besides knowing that the electronics modules are in the trunk, I can't tell you much more.

The install has been bulletproof thus far. No issues whatsoever. We tend to keep the baffles open for the throaty exhaust most of the time (even my wife, which I think is pretty cool for a girl ).

If you really need an idea of wire routing, I can try to get up under the car and get some pics and see if I can pull the trunk liner back for you. I'm traveling for work until the end of the month, so it would be a while...

Jaaaggg (02-17-2016)
Old 02-17-2016, 07:09 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

FastCat2011 and Jaaaggg, on the Varex site and ebay, I see many different "universal" models, but nothing specific to the Jaguar. Which mufflers did you chose? Jaaaggg, I am also located in the Atlanta area, and would like to know who is doing your install, and if you are happy with them.

Old 02-17-2016, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by FastCat2011
I dont' actually have any pics of the wire routing. My exhaust shop did the entire install, so besides knowing that the electronics modules are in the trunk, I can't tell you much more.

The install has been bulletproof thus far. No issues whatsoever. We tend to keep the baffles open for the throaty exhaust most of the time (even my wife, which I think is pretty cool for a girl ).

If you really need an idea of wire routing, I can try to get up under the car and get some pics and see if I can pull the trunk liner back for you. I'm traveling for work until the end of the month, so it would be a while...
Thanks for the quick response, it's good to hear the exhaust is holding up well. Don't worry about the pics, another forum member who did the install was able to help me out with routing the wires.

Originally Posted by kwiksilver
FastCat2011 and Jaaaggg, on the Varex site and ebay, I see many different "universal" models, but nothing specific to the Jaguar. Which mufflers did you chose? Jaaaggg, I am also located in the Atlanta area, and would like to know who is doing your install, and if you are happy with them.
I believe FastCat and a bunch of others used the model (VMK10-250), this is the 2.5 inch inlet/outlet. You would also need to buy dual tips if you use this model. I went with the model (VMK7-250), this is the 2.5 inch inlet, with dual 3 inch tips, so no need to buy additional tips.

My work is being done by Allen @ Extreme Performance Mufflers on Jimmy Cart Blvd, honest guy with reasonable prices. I have used him to get other exhaust work, but nothing this major. I'll take pictures along the process and keep you posted on how it turns out.

To supply power, I am doing a fuse tap to one of the 10a fuse inputs. I have two of these, not sure which one to use, anyone have an idea?
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...1&d=1455726781

Attached Thumbnails Varex active exhaust install-fullsizerender.jpg  
kwiksilver (02-17-2016)
Old 02-17-2016, 10:58 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks Jaaaggg. I will really appreciate your keeping me in the loop.

Old 02-17-2016, 11:06 AM
Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

so maybe this was answered already but... you guys are doing the mufflers only and getting a nice v-8 sound when they are open, and not changing or removing any of the other resonators and such?

Old 02-17-2016, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Injekter
so maybe this was answered already but... you guys are doing the mufflers only and getting a nice v-8 sound when they are open, and not changing or removing any of the other resonators and such?
Yes, exactly what you stated. Removing the stock axle-back exhaust, getting a custom exhaust fabbed with the Varex mufflers. It goes in place of the stock exhaust, just like a Mina exhaust would.

I tried the the muffler and two resonator delete on the center pipe, it was too rattly and sounded broken IMO.

Injekter (02-17-2016)
Old 02-18-2016, 02:46 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi Jaag

As you know I installed the varex with a fuse tap.

I used the passenger safety system fuse. Check your manual as this will point out the correct one. From memory it was top right as you look at the fuse box.

I put in an X-Pipe and vibrant performance bottle resonators. Perfect blend.

thanks
Phil

Jaaaggg (02-18-2016)
Old 02-18-2016, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by phil200tdi
Hi Jaag

As you know I installed the varex with a fuse tap.

I used the passenger safety system fuse. Check your manual as this will point out the correct one. From memory it was top right as you look at the fuse box.

I put in an X-Pipe and vibrant performance bottle resonators. Perfect blend.

thanks
Phil
Thanks Phil, I was planning on using the 'F36' fuse slot on the top right as well, it's the red colored 10a. Where did you ground the negative terminal?

Old 02-19-2016, 05:06 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaaaggg
Thanks Phil, I was planning on using the 'F36' fuse slot on the top right as well, it's the red colored 10a. Where did you ground the negative terminal?
There is a bolt to hold down the battery just under the fuse box. I crimped on an open connector.. I'm home now so will try to get some pics later.

Jaaaggg (02-19-2016)
Old 01-25-2017, 09:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 96 Likes on 86 Posts

hey guys....wondering if you can help me out with the connections for the Varex exhaust...any pics of where you grounded to and which fuse you piggybacked would be a great help. Car is in the shop now and they are going to be installing the Varex units next week.

Johncy2000 (07-29-2017)
Old 07-29-2017, 09:17 AM
Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Just bought these mufflers. Worried about the wiring. Can someone provide the fuse location and ground lead? -Johncy

Quick Reply: Varex active exhaust install