XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Visual mods to my XF

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 03:22 AM
Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Here are a couple shots from further away that some of you asked for through PM's.

Attached Thumbnails Visual mods to my XF-jag8.jpg   Visual mods to my XF-jag14.jpg   Visual mods to my XF-jag15.jpg  
Old 06-16-2012, 04:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Looking sharp! Are you keeping those license plate frames?

Old 06-18-2012, 02:05 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Blacked out the chrome strip on the trunk and Debagging the XF looks ridiculous IMO. You couldn't pay me to do this to my car. No way in hell. But to each it's own.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by jaguny
Looking sharp! Are you keeping those license plate frames?
The frames are just for pics, they are from one of the shops I use for my wheels and suspension work. I plan on filling the front holes and only running rear plates. The rear plate will be my CHP 9-11 frame.

Originally Posted by TheLegend
Blacked out the chrome strip on the trunk and Debagging the XF looks ridiculous IMO. You couldn't pay me to do this to my car. No way in hell. But to each it's own.
Thanks for the input, I appreciate your comments and opinions. We almost had identical cars. At the dealership I was looking a 2009 Vapor grey XF SC just like yours but it did not have the chrome side vents. I decided to go with the Silver 2010 XF premium only because it had less miles, newer engine and an extra year on the certified warranty. I paid a couple thousand more but figured that in a year or two it would be worth more when I sell or trade the car in for something else. TC

Last edited by tc1728; 06-18-2012 at 02:45 AM.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:29 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The completion of the blackout on the the side window chrome made a huge difference in the look from the side and really finished it off. Love the black roof and the overall look of the black accents. Glad you're losing the license plate surround as it did nothing for the car. A solid black or black chrome surround, advertisement free, would be my choice. Well done.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:31 PM

Just got a call at work telling me that the black out process is complete on the XF and my assistant is on her way to pick up the car and then drop it off at the wheel shop. Hopefully the wheels will be on the car later this evening. I am very excited and will post some pics up as soon as I have the chance. TC

Old 06-22-2012, 03:51 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I agree 100%. Chrome makes the Jaguar stand out. But when you have a silver car, chrome blends in, so I get both points of view. That's particularly why I passed a silver XF up, but having to wash my ebony XF every other day, I'm kinda wishing I had a silver one!

Old 06-22-2012, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by arlingtonman
I agree 100%. Chrome makes the Jaguar stand out. But when you have a silver car, chrome blends in, so I get both points of view. That's particularly why I passed a silver XF up, but having to wash my ebony XF every other day, I'm kinda wishing I had a silver one!
Thanks for your opinion, I was once a huge fan of chrome back in 2002 when I had a CLK and S-class, I got the chrome headlight trim, chrome grille and chrome wheels on both cars. I don't know when it happened exactly but chrome started to look tacky to me. My last 3 cars have all been de-chromed and de-badged. It's all a matter of personal preference. By no means do I hate chrome, I just do not prefer it. I can also understand why you passed on a silver XF. In my opinion, nothing looks better than a clean black car. TC

Old 06-23-2012, 10:07 AM

I'm sorry, but this looks like crap. All I want to know is, why did you F*** up your XF like that? WHY, WHY, WHY, WHY, WHY, WHY!!?!?! I'm almost upset and this isn't even my car!!!!! THESE ARE BEAUTIFUL CARS!! Why mess it up???

Look! You do NOT de-badge a luxury vehicle!! Especially that of the XF!! I can see doing that on a Dodge or Chevy, but not a JAGUAR XF. When people see the Jaguar emblem on the trunk, that's a symbol of luxury!!! Just like on a Benz, that symbol means something on luxury cars. YOU DO NOT DO THAT!! It's just wrong! I don't care what these people are telling you but the mods you are doing is something you do on a Chevy Malibu, or maybe a old Charger. Blacking-out the beautiful luxurious chrome strip, taking off the "XF" and leaper emblem on the trunk is ALL WRONG!! And what's up with a black roof on a all silver car? Looks like a half-done paint job like you couldn't afford to get the entire car painted. That don't look slick dude, not at all. Nothing stylish about this my man. Little subtle touches for this car would've suffice. Like the black part you did on the fenders, and maybe the grille. You are taking the luxury out of your car. What's next, racing stripes or a hood scoop?

You're killing me!

Old 06-23-2012, 11:42 AM

I'm sorry, but this looks like crap. All I want to know is, why did you F*** up your XF like that? WHY, WHY, WHY, WHY, WHY, WHY!!?!?! I'm almost upset and this isn't even my car!!!!! THESE ARE BEAUTIFUL CARS!! Why mess it up???

Look! You do NOT de-badge a luxury vehicle!! Especially that of the XF!! I can see doing that on a Dodge or Chevy, but not a JAGUAR XF. When people see the Jaguar emblem on the trunk, that's a symbol of luxury!!! Just like on a Benz, that symbol means something on luxury cars. YOU DO NOT DO THAT!! It's just wrong! I don't care what these people are telling you but the mods you are doing is something you do on a Chevy Malibu, or maybe a old Charger. Blacking-out the beautiful luxurious chrome strip, taking off the "XF" and leaper emblem on the trunk is ALL WRONG!! And what's up with a black roof on a all silver car? Looks like a half-done paint job like you couldn't afford to get the entire car painted. That don't look slick dude, not at all. Nothing stylish about this my man. Little subtle touches for this car would've suffice. Like the black part you did on the fenders, and maybe the grille. You are taking the luxury out of your car. What's next, racing stripes or a hood scoop?

You're killing me!
Your responses intrigue me. On one hand I do not understand how what a complete stranger does to their car can have such an effect on you, so much so that you will take time out of your day to voice your opinion. On the other hand I appreciate how passionate you are about cars and how you think they should look. First off, I want to apologize for making you upset, that was not my intention. I also want to thank you for the fact that you like my grille and the black part on my fenders. I guess I do not care about the "symbol" of luxury as much as you do, I have de-badged my Maserati QP, CLK55, M3 and 6 series convertible before the XF. I seem to prefer the clean look. Nobody has really told me how to mod my cars, I just see certain things I like and try to apply them to my own cars to make it look the way I like. As for the black roof, I like the way it looks. I do understand that what I have done may not look slick or stylish to some, but it looks nice to me. I have seen many pics of other XF's and none of them have stripes or hood scoops, but if they did and it looked right to me, I may consider it. I am sorry if I am "killing you" dude, but If my posts and pics have such a profound effect on you, feel free to not click on threads started by me. Just know that your thoughts and opinions are always welcome if you do decide to click and comment my man. Have a good weekend and enjoy your beautiful XF. TC

Last edited by tc1728; 06-23-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:55 AM

Dude, I wish you where my neighbor!!! I'm dead serious!! The cars you have/had are all beautiful!! But I wouldn't allow u do that to yourself! I would be giving you a swift boot to the *** for every bogus mod you did. lol

Old 06-23-2012, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by tc1728
Your responses intrigue me. On one hand I do not understand how what a complete stranger does to their car can have such an effect on you, so much so that you will take time out of your day to voice your opinion. On the other hand I appreciate how passionate you are about cars and how you think they should look. First off, I want to apologize for making you upset, that was not my intention. I also want to thank you for the fact that you like my grille and the black part on my fenders. I guess I do not care about the "symbol" of luxury as much as you do, I have de-badged my Maserati QP, CLK55, M3 and 6 series convertible before the XF. I seem to prefer the clean look. Nobody has really told me how to mod my cars, I just see certain things I like and try to apply them to my own cars to make it look the way I like. As for the black roof, I like the way it looks. I do understand that what I have done may not look slick or stylish to some, but it looks nice to me. I have seen many pics of other XF's and none of them have stripes or hood scoops, but if they did and it looked right to me, I may consider it. I am sorry if I am "killing you" dude, but If my posts and pics have such a profound effect on you, feel free to not click on threads started by me. Just know that your thoughts and opinions are always welcome if you do decide to click and comment my man. Have a good weekend and enjoy your beautiful XF. TC
Very classy, TC. Very classy.

Old 06-23-2012, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by tc1728
Thanks for your opinion, I was once a huge fan of chrome back in 2002 when I had a CLK and S-class, I got the chrome headlight trim, chrome grille and chrome wheels on both cars. I don't know when it happened exactly but chrome started to look tacky to me. My last 3 cars have all been de-chromed and de-badged. It's all a matter of personal preference. By no means do I hate chrome, I just do not prefer it. I can also understand why you passed on a silver XF. In my opinion, nothing looks better than a clean black car. TC
Keyword is CLEAN. A CLEAN black car. To keep it clean, I'd have to wash it twice a day. And the brake dust builds up every day on the wheels, I'm scrubbing them every night. #FML

Old 06-23-2012, 07:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed Arlingtonman...TC that was one classy response. Hats off to you.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 22,554 Likes on 8,985 Posts

Since I wandered off the reservation, I'll add my $.00002. I'm with tc1728 and arlingtonman...keep it clean...
A previous car was a black '86 Olds 442. I found and installed an '88 Hurst/Olds Aero kit and had the entire car painted black. I painted the chrome headlight and grille edges..black. Worked out quite well.
I'm not a chrome lover and would probably do some mods to eliminate it..

Old 06-23-2012, 08:44 PM
Veteran Member

Keyword is CLEAN. A CLEAN black car. To keep it clean, I'd have to wash it twice a day. And the brake dust builds up every day on the wheels, I'm scrubbing them every night. #FML

I am only on a once a week regiment with the wheels. I dropped using the wheel cleaner products and am using Dawn dish soap for the wheels and a long handled microfiber brush. It is taking care of removing the dust rather easily. Last week I washed the car and then used Mother's quick detailer on the wheels and the car. This week they washed up really easy. I am going to use Klasse glaze sealant on them. That should help with the cleaning.

I am planning on claybarring the car, then Klasse All in One polish, followed by Klass Sealant Glaze then PS21 carunba wax. That should have me on a once a week wash and Quick Detailer follow up regiment that hopefully is manageable. Love the Black though. Chrome looks good to me, although the black with chrome trim grille is on my list. I bought the Griots DA polisher, so the regiment begins.

I can appreciate the other looks though, when well done. No need to knock someone else's aeshthic even if you don't like it. OCD has many forms of expression.

Last edited by jaguny; 06-23-2012 at 08:47 PM.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:20 PM
Received 136 Likes on 93 Posts

A comment re brake dust, it is very common with the 'compromised' stock pads the manufacturers must choose to meet all their requirements.

I have ebc red stuff ceramic pads on my car and I can drive for weeks and not see the black dust on my wheels. They are noisy when braking but you get used to it real fast, at first it sounded like worn brakes to me. A bonus is awesome braking! I also have the ebc ultimax rotors and let me tell you the car brakes like my Z06 Corvette!

Old 06-24-2012, 05:13 PM
Veteran Member

Those ultamax rotors look cool too! Is it the rotors or the pads that are making the noise? I understand slotted or drilled rotors can make noise.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:43 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
for the wheels and a long handled microfiber brush. It is taking care of removing the dust rather easily
I use a long handled microfiber brush for the inside of the wheels too. It's easy to just run it between the spokes. I have to back up the car to get behind the front brake though. I'm looking for another brush. My car is all black. I usually wash it twice a week after dark. It's just too hot in Texas to wash it during the day unless I want a spotted cat when I'm done.

TC1728. I don't care for all the mods. If you want a black grill. Put all of that money you're spending on those mods and buy a black Supercharged XFR. Then you'll get respect not laughed at the way I do when I see a car with wheels so tall you have to get a ladder to get in it. I have a lot more respect for home owners associations now.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Agreed Arlingtonman...TC that was one classy response. Hats off to you.
I appreciate the compliments, It is very easy with the anonymity of the internet to be braver and more abrasive than you normally are. I always try to imagine that I am always speaking face to face with someone when I am on the computer.

Originally Posted by Christine
TC1728. I don't care for all the mods. If you want a black grill. Put all of that money you're spending on those mods and buy a black Supercharged XFR. Then you'll get respect not laughed at the way I do when I see a car with wheels so tall you have to get a ladder to get in it. I have a lot more respect for home owners associations now.
I appreciate the comment and the advice on how to spend my money. I also think real respect is earned, not based on what you drive. If someone does not respect me or "laughs" at me because my car is not "supercharged" or that I have bigger wheels than stock, so be it, I think I can live with that. Also a ladder is not necessary to get in and out of my XF. Overall wheel diameter is increased by 0.8 inches, and after I lower the car, it will actually be about 0.5 to 0.7 inches lower than stock, so my shorter passengers will be just fine.

Many people buy different things for different reasons, While we can go over list the reasons for why I bought model "A" over model "B" I feel that it will probably accomplish nothing in this particular circumstance.

I am very fortunate that I can afford a decent car and have extra money to mod it the way I like. Maybe when I get older I will grow out of this phase of sinking money in to depreciating assets and use and invest my money better, but I am just enjoying my life and my cars for the time being.

It is funny, but both you and my mom share similar opinions about my mods and about some of the wheels on my past cars so I think know exactly what you mean when you talk about over sized wheels. She also does not understand why I spend the money on aftermarket wheels when I have a perfectly good set on there already. That is how I know that both of you mean well. Again thank you for taking the time out to comment on this thread.

BTW, I am jealous of your face lifted XF, I think the front end looks much smoother and sleeker with the new hood that does not round off the head lamps. Plus the new head lamps look fantastic. TC

Last edited by tc1728; 06-25-2012 at 12:07 AM.
The following users liked this post:
AaronW (11-13-2012)

Quick Reply: Visual mods to my XF