XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Visual mods to my XF

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 05:13 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow. The neighborhood paragraph was an analogy my friend. In the interest of full disclosure, I don't live in a neighborhood. I live on 20 wooded acres in Van Zandt county and can't even see my neighbors. twhite what neighborhood do you live in, because your comment on BMW, Audi and Mercedes being modded here is misleading at best. Not in north Dallas.

I need to go. I'm modding my garage so I have shopping to do.

I honestly am sorry this has gone this direction. It's just my opinion. We ALL seem to have one.

I modded my Jaguar too. I put a really good radar detector in it!

Old 06-27-2012, 07:44 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Christine
I got the email with the thread update today. I was just going to leave the site because it wasn’t what I was looking for. The people on my Mercedes site wouldn't even think of "modding" their cars. Guess it's just a class thing. Apparently Jaguar's aren't what I thought they were and clearly, they depreciate far too quickly.

So anyway, TC let me be positive here for a moment. I don't think the appearance of the black roof is bad. It reminds me of the Panorama roof on the Mercedes. But it's not a Panorama roof is it? You're trying to make the car something it's not. That was what my previous comment to just saving your money and buying a Supercharged XFR. It comes with the black grill and you pay for that. It means something. The black grill only comes with the supercharged engine. Yours is not a supercharged XFR is it? The picture you put up of your car before the mods is perfect. Everything matches and flows from front to back. Now there's chaos. The mirrors look like Mickey Mouse ears. Even the people who like the mods don't like the black strip on the back.
The reason some of us are so upset and passionate about this is because you're like the guy who moves into the neighborhood and paints his house florescent green. You look at it and think it's just great, while the rest of the people are embarrassed and angry that the neighborhood is depreciating now. Some people will support you because they don't want to hurt your feelings, but they have no intention of painting their house florescent green.

You've taken a sleek, strong, majestic gorgeous cat and shaved it, painted it with black spots, put big clown shoes on it and think that's just what it needed.

These are the kind of mods the import guys do to their cars. Those cars do look better with the mods. You should get an import and make it the best modified car you can. You are skilled at what you do. Use your talent where it's appropriate.

I probably sound like your mom again and that's not a problem because she sounds like a wise woman to me.

Wow! Absolutely nailed it. Could not have said this any better.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by 09XFSuper
Come on folks, what happened to "to each his own" and "beauty is in the eye of the beholder"? I go to car shows all the time and we have a Cars and Coffee event here in Charlotte every month, there is always a great cross section of vehicles, some modded, some not. I appreciate them all, IMHO, if you don't like what the OP has done to his car, why say anything? It is his car and he is simply sharing his pride and joy, why dump all over him for that?

I always mod whatever car I have, it makes the car mine and unique, the degree to which you mod is your own call. Anyone with some money can buy a car, I don't want my car to look like everyone elses, that is boring. My philosophy for modding a car is to make it look like it could have come from the factory like that, that it could have been a factory package. Any mass produced stock design always has room for improvement.
Could have not said it better. It's called personalization.

It's not like he put a fast and furious wing or fake fender vents. That I would understand people getting upset over. I feel they are tastefull mods that will let it stand out from the crowd! I think debadging it makes it look clean and classy! As fo blacking out the chrome these are highend options with trims such as AMG, Arden, Renntech for example. Nothing wrong with making it yours. Go to a car show once in a while and you will see a lot of highend cars Lambos, Astons, Porsches modified. Sometimes we have to fill in for the manufacturer lack of options they left out.

I get more upset seeing a car like a Jag not cared for and neglected like the brake dust accumulating and abused. I have a feeling this car will always be spotless and and well cared for. This gives Jaguar a good perception for people who care for their cars.

Give the guy a break this is a community to share our passion for Jaguars fine automobiles.

I do not have a Jag yet but will be looking for one in a couple months when I move back to Florida. I do have a show truck that is modded to the tee. Granted they are tastfull mods and I get compliments all the time and there is not another one like it on the street. I know it's not a Jag but its personal and has been mine for 12 years.

The following users liked this post:
arlingtonman (06-28-2012)
Old 06-28-2012, 06:23 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by darlo
All this talk of childishness, maturity and class. I can see plenty of some and not much of the other.
That 100% correct. Come on, Christine, the Legend, what you guys are doing is not just being rude anymore, but rather you have taken it to a whole new level and it is absolutely disgraceful and very distasteful.

Christine-
You act like you have so much class driving a Mercedes, but since you are so quick to give your negatitory two cents to these car owners, I will, in turn, give you mine. First of all, it doesnt matter what you think of his car. It's HIS car. You're not looking to buy it, you are just looking to fuel a fight. You want to talk about class and sophistication, I can sure as heck tell you that either isn't associated with Mercedes. Mercedes are one of the most popular luxury cars on the road that everyone drives. Everyone drives a mercedes, there is nothing prestigious about a Benz. They don't even have real leather seats, so while we're enjoying our Jags, go sit on your vinyl. How's that for a dose of your own medicine?

And The Legend, I already said what i needed to. All I will add is I think it would do you well to look at the golden rule. If you would like to be bashed for investing in your car to make it your own, you have lost any remaing respect I had for you.

TC-
On behalf of the other forum posters, I am truly so sorry for what has been said on this thread. It makes not only the posters of said garbage look bad, but it makes Jaguar Forums look bad, and makes all of us look bad by lowering ourselves to their level by responding. However, someone has to speak the truth, and on my behalf, I will say only one thing: Keep up the good work, TC.

God bless you all,
Arlingtonman

Old 06-28-2012, 06:27 AM

Oh, and going back to 'mother' argument- TC must have had one hell of a good one to handle this bashing with the utmost of sophistication and class. Seems some among us could learn a lot from this man. **Cough, Cough**

Old 06-28-2012, 06:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

I believe everyone can draw their own conclusions from the unnecessarily heated discussion, and as such I won't touch on that.

I think the car looks quite good. To me, the XF rear end has always relied too much on the leaper badge, and as such with it (and the chrome stripe) removed it really screams "BIG KIA" a bit. On the other hand, new Kia models (like the Optima) look good in a modern way, so it's not necessarily that bad a thing.

The black roof does also look good, however I don't like the black side vent Jaguar-badges. They would work on a black car, but it's too much of a "different colour spot" on this one. That's the reason the roof and the door window trims work; they are connected to large dark areas (the windows)! I think you could improve the rear end if you tinted the rear lights a bit, to make the transition from the black stripe less harsh!

Also to all the "haters"; I'd understand your concerns had he used carbon fibre

arlingtonman (06-28-2012)
Old 06-28-2012, 09:23 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by arlingtonman
That 100% correct. Come on, Christine, the Legend, what you guys are doing is not just being rude anymore, but rather you have taken it to a whole new level and it is absolutely disgraceful and very distasteful.

Christine-
You act like you have so much class driving a Mercedes, but since you are so quick to give your negatitory two cents to these car owners, I will, in turn, give you mine. First of all, it doesnt matter what you think of his car. It's HIS car. You're not looking to buy it, you are just looking to fuel a fight. You want to talk about class and sophistication, I can sure as heck tell you that either isn't associated with Mercedes. Mercedes are one of the most popular luxury cars on the road that everyone drives. Everyone drives a mercedes, there is nothing prestigious about a Benz. They don't even have real leather seats, so while we're enjoying our Jags, go sit on your vinyl. How's that for a dose of your own medicine?

And The Legend, I already said what i needed to. All I will add is I think it would do you well to look at the golden rule. If you would like to be bashed for investing in your car to make it your own, you have lost any remaing respect I had for you.

TC-
On behalf of the other forum posters, I am truly so sorry for what has been said on this thread. It makes not only the posters of said garbage look bad, but it makes Jaguar Forums look bad, and makes all of us look bad by lowering ourselves to their level by responding. However, someone has to speak the truth, and on my behalf, I will say only one thing: Keep up the good work, TC.

God bless you all,
Arlingtonman
Hey fella, this is a forum. People have a right to their opinions. There is nothing you or anybody can do about that. I said it looks like garbage. That's my opinion. I'll say it on the forum and face to face and it's still not a damn thing you or anybody can do about that. It looks like crap. The trade-in value for that XF is now in the toilet. If you like his mods, that's you. But I don't like it and a few others don't like it and we have and will voice that. Nothing you can do about it.

Saying there is nothing prestigious about a Mercedes is just stupid on your part. The low-end Mercedes don't say much, but there are some Mercedes that is just as luxurious as Jaguar.

I'm not sure what you smoking but the attitude that you have to "mod it to make it your own" is just dumb thinking. If you pay for it then you own it. But the thinking that "I must mod to make it mines" is stupid. The only thing you're doing when you drive down the street is embarrassing yourself.

Christine (06-28-2012)
Old 06-28-2012, 09:25 AM

I'm done with the personal attacks.

I completely agree that the streets are flooded with Mercedes and have expressed my dissapointment in the polls we submit on the site. They do have leather seats, it's an option. Good grief.

Check out this site. You might find the charts interesting:

Auto Sales - Markets Data Center - WSJ.com

From May 2011 to May 2012 Mercedes sold 113,520 cars in the US.
" Chevrolet 1,066,963
" Ford 933,179
" BMW104,779
" Audi 52,494
" Porche 13,448
"Jaguar 5,476

If you have one it is special. It is not mass produced. No mods necessary.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:32 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Aonsaithya
On the other hand, new Kia models (like the Optima) look good in a modern way, so it's not necessarily that bad a thing.
Thank goodness - I thought I was losing my mind! I keep double taking Optimas on the road. Kia are doing a good job with their design language. I know they come with a lot of kit but I have no idea about the dynamics, quality or reliability. They look good though and are incredible value for money. Anyone buying a Toyota or Jyundai or similar over one of these must be daft!

Old 06-28-2012, 11:59 AM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Donk
That's like de-badging an Accord....c'mon, a Movoda?
Lol. Movado the Honda of "luxury" watches.

Looking forward to the pics OP.

Last edited by duke_dallas; 06-28-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:09 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TheLegend
But the thinking that "I must mod to make it mines" is stupid. The only thing you're doing when you drive down the street is embarrassing yourself.
This coming from someone who said they like this car a lot!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/381139...xf#38113980005

It's on 22's also in which is a BIG no, no according to you anyway. I saw one today you might like also. It was painted turquoise and had turquoise 22's on it. No lie. I didn't like it but that's what they liked so it's ok with me.

To Christine, I live in Desoto. But I work in Oak Cliff so I see everything modded. If you goggle modded Mercedes, you can see plenty of them. Same goes for Audi and BMW. And I'm sure there are some in N. Dallas also, you may have just missed them. But I'm pretty sure you aren't gonna see any in Van Zandt, especially since you can't even see you neighbor! And speaking of, I'm sure THAT house is one of a kind("not mass produced"). But I know you did some decorating(modding) to make it how you like it!

Last edited by Twhite; 06-28-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:49 PM

I'm not going to look at anything modded on the internet. If you've been paying attention, I don't approve of taking a perfect car that was thoughtfully designed and manufactured by a successful company and sold worldwide.

Make your own car and sell it if you think it's an improvement over how it was born. Quit ripping off Jaguar.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:03 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

This thread is becoming a classic. Too funny.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:03 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by TheLegend
Hey fella, this is a forum. People have a right to their opinions. There is nothing you or anybody can do about that. I said it looks like garbage. That's my opinion. I'll say it on the forum and face to face and it's still not a damn thing you or anybody can do about that. It looks like crap. The trade-in value for that XF is now in the toilet. If you like his mods, that's you. But I don't like it and a few others don't like it and we have and will voice that. Nothing you can do about it.

Saying there is nothing prestigious about a Mercedes is just stupid on your part. The low-end Mercedes don't say much, but there are some Mercedes that is just as luxurious as Jaguar.

I'm not sure what you smoking but the attitude that you have to "mod it to make it your own" is just dumb thinking. If you pay for it then you own it. But the thinking that "I must mod to make it mines" is stupid. The only thing you're doing when you drive down the street is embarrassing yourself.
I would be ashamed to be such a rude and distasteful person as you are, I need not comment more. I have better things to do with my time than argue with a 'fella' who has no class, regardless of the car he drives. Class is not determined by money or cars, but the person that you are.

My only point about Mercedes is that for the longest time, you couldn't tell a C-Class from an S-Class, and I know that around here, people see a Benz and think, oh, nice $30k car...that's not the attention a Jaguar receives. That said, attention, while nice, is quite shallow and I don't care what people think of me or my car, I just bought it because I like it, not to impress.

I didn't say you HAVE to mod to make it yours. I NEVER modded until my current Jaguar, and if you look at my signature, you will see I have only added factory mods. I have no problem one way or another. WHAT I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH IS CERTAIN PEOPLE TELLING OTHERS THE "RULES" OF MODDING AND WHAT THEY SHOULD AND SHOULD NOT DO.

My philosophy on forums is to only say things you would say to someone face to face. It's easy to sit behind a keyboard and be a completely different person with no character. If you would say any of this to someone's face, then that only further validates my judgment of you as a person.

Shame on you.

OP- While I am not personally a fan of ALL of your mods, I support you doing whatever you want to your car and think it is looking awesome regardless of my tastes! Keep up the good work, and dont let these naysayers bring you down.

As for me, I'm done with this petty arguing. I try not to engage in it, but when you attack someone with actions or WORDS, I will not step aside and watch it happen.

The following 2 users liked this post by arlingtonman:
Aonsaithya (06-28-2012), Twhite (06-28-2012)
Old 06-28-2012, 03:25 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

WHAT I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH IS CERTAIN PEOPLE TELLING OTHERS THE "RULES" OF MODDING AND WHAT THEY SHOULD AND SHOULD NOT ......... I will not step aside and watch it happen.
What he said!

Old 06-28-2012, 04:42 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Keyword is CLEAN. A CLEAN black car. To keep it clean, I'd have to wash it twice a day. And the brake dust builds up every day on the wheels, I'm scrubbing them every night. #FML
Interesting comment on the brake dust as the wheels on my 2012 don't dust up that bad compared to some cars I have owned. Wonder if the pads on the newer cars have been changed to pads less prone to excessive dusting. German cars are notorious for their heavy break dust which is a function of the pad materials being softer which offer better break adheasion at the expense of increased pad wear and the resulting dust. Might be worth asking your dealer or mechanic about swapping pads for something less prone to dusting like ceramic pads. Another issue that many folks encounter is increased dust build up on there rims which is caused by the acid based wheel cleaners sold at the parts stores. The acids used to remove the dust etch the clear coat and over time the break dust settles in the etched areas and builds up to point of being more difficult, if not impossible to remove. PH neutral wheels cleaners contain no acids and don't cause the etching but they won't reverse damage aleady done though.

Last edited by Dadio; 06-28-2012 at 04:44 PM.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:08 AM
Received 136 Likes on 93 Posts

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahaa

someone said Jags are not mass produced! guess they build them in the workshop by hand!

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahaha

someone said that modding a car is ripping off the manufacturer!

someone calls themselves THE LEGEND

hhahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahaaaa

holy crap I'm killing myself laughing.

damn this thread is full of funny people.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Old 06-29-2012, 10:13 AM
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Christine
I'm not going to look at anything modded on the internet. If you've been paying attention, I don't approve of taking a perfect car that was thoughtfully designed and manufactured by a successful company and sold worldwide.

Make your own car and sell it if you think it's an improvement over how it was born. Quit ripping off Jaguar.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:25 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow, id like to see these angry people go to west coast customs shop or any other custom shop for that matter.

To the op. Nice job man. Ive been thinking of doing my roof the way you did and im pretty sure your pics sold me. Now im not a fan of everything you did, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. More pics when you get it all done!

Old 06-29-2012, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by 09XFSuper
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahaa

someone said Jags are not mass produced! guess they build them in the workshop by hand!

someone said that modding a car is ripping off the manufacturer!

someone calls themselves THE LEGEND

hhahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahaaaa

holy crap I'm killing myself laughing.

damn this thread is full of funny people.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
I know this thread is hilarious!!!

AaronW (11-13-2012)

Quick Reply: Visual mods to my XF