XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Want an XF.. Id like to learn from you before buying.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 07:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want an XF.. Id like to learn from you before buying.

This is my first post on these forums. I am a member and frequent user of several other forums for vehicles that I own. I seen an XF the other day and i love it, so I am turning to you guys form answers/ advice.

I have never owned a jag, nor have i really knew any jag owners. If you do a google search on Jaguar XF, the first thing that comes up is a bunch of people talking about how theirs has left them stranded time and time again, etc. Just laundry lists of problems. Leads me to the first question.. just how "Bad" are these cars?

My silverado is the first vehicle that I have purchased brand new, and I like the fact that it was brand new when i bought it, and the depreciation isnt bad on it. BUT i noticed that there is more depreciation on the jags. (supports the reliability concerns i suppose). For this reason, is it better to buy used than brand new?

I worked at a mercedes-benz dealership back while i was in college, and I know how crappy they were in 2000-2004. The only way i would have ever bought one was certified pre-owned, with the 100k warranty. It was the only way to keep a benz past 30k miles. My reason for bringing this up is as the following: Do these cars have a similar certified pre-owned option with a longer warranty? I know the benzs had like 100k warranty with them. This would really ease my fears of reliability.

I am also interested in any other tips/suggestions/things youve learned or would have done differently. Are any years better than others? Etc.

Thanks guys.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome. If you do a Google search on MOST autos, the same thing will appear. I wouldnt worry too much about it. Many of the early "niggles" have been worked out. I too am a Pa. resident and have a 2010 XF. It certainly has had its share of issues but none have ever left me stranded. The upcoming 2012 will be light years ahead of the 2008 in terms of improvements and overall quality. Any manufacturer will have SOME issues with SOME cars. The key here is how they handle those issues in their upcoming models. It looks as if Jaguar has done its homework well! If you can buy new, do it. If you cant but can acquire an extended warranty on a pre-owned unit, dont hesitate. From what Ive seen, 2010 and beyond should do you well.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:45 PM

wow i just looked at some pics of the 2012 it looks amazing.

I guess the changes are just aethetic though right? I would seem to be a perfect scenario to buy a car that has a new updated look, but has had a few years to work out the quirks of the new model.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:50 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by stlavsa
I have never owned a jag, nor have i really knew any jag owners. If you do a google search on Jaguar XF, the first thing that comes up is a bunch of people talking about how theirs has left them stranded time and time again, etc. Just laundry lists of problems. Leads me to the first question.. just how "Bad" are these cars?

This would really ease my fears of reliability.

I am also interested in any other tips/suggestions/things youve learned or would have done differently. Are any years better than others? Etc. Thanks guys.
I just came over to Jag after clutching my domestic vehicle loyalty without ever looking past owning an "American Made car,"... not that there's anything wrong with that but I've owned my '09 S/C XF for all of two weeks and am in love with it!! As for your search on quality, reliability, loyalty... you could interject wife, doctor, teacher, boss etc... and do a search and get a plethora of opinions... The problem with the internet is using it to re-affirm a way of thinking rather that actually forming our own.
My two cents... if you get a vehicle with a warranty, it comes from a dealership or place where you get a loaner for the time it may be laid up then what's the loss... this way you can leave positive or negative feedback that is spot-on for another to either use to weigh differences or re-affirm their thoughts. As for re-sale... this phrase makes me cringe... if I were buying something to keep, or increase in value, it wouldn't be a vehicle... (or stocks after last week). I buy my cars/bikes to drive/ride and have fun while doing so... I try to buy unique vehicles that others don't have... thus the Jag....
I say go for it... you only live once and for me... I don't want any regrets or thoughts like I wonder if I had...

Old 08-07-2011, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Remember that internet reports are subject to selection bias. Nobody sets out to find a bulletin board to report that his car works perfectly.

Given that, the XF has shown itself to be remarkably reliable as few owners report more than a handful of issues, many of which are trivial or result from owner misunderstanding the car. The great majority of XF owners report very positive ownership experiences.

Jaguar does offer certified used cars I believe. Extended warranties may be available as I declined one last month when I bought out my lease.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Originally Posted by stlavsa
wow i just looked at some pics of the 2012 it looks amazing.

I guess the changes are just aethetic though right? I would seem to be a perfect scenario to buy a car that has a new updated look, but has had a few years to work out the quirks of the new model.
The changes are more than just aesthetic. Standard seats will be more supportive. Electronics will be updated(hard drive based nav FINALLY). Stop by a dealer who Im sure will have those changes in print. BIG change(actually an addition) will be the availability of AWD towards the middle of the model run.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:40 PM

Own a 2011 XF Premium
Ex-Demo - Bought with 9600 miles, 2 months ago.

Put on about 2500 miles in those 2 months and LOVE the car, NO Issues.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:56 PM
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

"Do these cars have a similar certified pre-owned option with a longer warranty?"

Some used Jags are designated Certified and come with a 6-year/100k mi warranty but I believe most just carry the remaining manufacturer's oringinal warranty

Old 08-08-2011, 04:08 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Another soon-to-be XF SC owner here. I've never had a navigation system, so do u have to have the Nav CD in the deck when u using the mode? And how do u update the CD software? How would I know I have the latest version? I'm buying a 09' model

Old 08-08-2011, 05:01 PM
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

So far, so good. I think one indicator of quality is Jag's willingness to stand by their cars 5 yrs/50k miles with included maintenance. Either the cars are/will be reliable or they will go broke fixing them. Get a new one with such a warranty or a certified used one with its warranty and don't worry about it.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Wife's Tech
I just came over to Jag after clutching my domestic vehicle loyalty without ever looking past owning an "American Made car,"... not that there's anything wrong with that but I've owned my '09 S/C XF for all of two weeks and am in love with it!! As for your search on quality, reliability, loyalty... you could interject wife, doctor, teacher, boss etc... and do a search and get a plethora of opinions... The problem with the internet is using it to re-affirm a way of thinking rather that actually forming our own.
My two cents... if you get a vehicle with a warranty, it comes from a dealership or place where you get a loaner for the time it may be laid up then what's the loss... this way you can leave positive or negative feedback that is spot-on for another to either use to weigh differences or re-affirm their thoughts. As for re-sale... this phrase makes me cringe... if I were buying something to keep, or increase in value, it wouldn't be a vehicle... (or stocks after last week). I buy my cars/bikes to drive/ride and have fun while doing so... I try to buy unique vehicles that others don't have... thus the Jag....
I say go for it... you only live once and for me... I don't want any regrets or thoughts like I wonder if I had...
Thanks! I am not concerned with the resale on my own end, i just feel like it would be great to find one with less that 10K miles on it and save a good 15 grand! That was my train of thought until i seen the 2012s!

Im out of town right now for work but when i get back in town im gonna head to the dealer and see what they have to say about it.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:26 PM

And I realize that most of the time when you search on the internet, the only guys who take the time to register and discuss their vehicle are guys that have problems. The guys that are having no problems have no reason to comment (or complain!).

I just wanted to make sure there was some satisfied owners out there and that if I do spend $55k im not guaranteed to have a headache on my hands.

And like some of you have said, the rarity of the vehicle is what has got me hooked. They look awesome, and when you see one, its a remarkable because you just dont see many. I love the 2012 front end, but i wouldve preferred they kept the older rear end. That would be the PERFECT XF.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:43 PM

sorry for so many consecutive posts but i was looking at the closest jag dealer and they have this preowned 2010 for sale.. Is it a good deal?

Used 2010 Jaguar XF For Sale | Wexford - Pittsburgh, PA - J3150A