XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Warranty Void?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 01:09 PM
Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Warranty Void?

If I get my Jaguar serviced at an Independent dealer, will my factory warranty be voided?

As in, if I get the 15k maintenance done at an independent shop.

Old 02-09-2015, 03:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

If you are in the US, absolutely not. The dealer would have to prove that the indie shop caused the failure in question. There is some law about it from the 70s but I can't remember the name of the act.

Old 02-09-2015, 04:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

However, when I bought my XFR, there was a separate document describing the "special spec oil" and did say that my warranty would void if I used other oil. (See other posts about the "correct oil") Whether that would be enforceable, I know not.

Old 02-09-2015, 06:28 PM
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts
Old 02-09-2015, 09:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 362 Likes on 273 Posts
Old 02-10-2015, 12:04 AM
Veteran Member

But, they CAN define which oil you must use and they CAN make it hard to get that oil, right?

Old 02-10-2015, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by sparkenzap
But, they CAN define which oil you must use and they CAN make it hard to get that oil, right?
Yes and no... define the oil, yes. Actually they define the minimum specifications.
I do recall a thread on the specs here a while back. here it is. POST #19 something about the Ford Spec. I would think any fully synthetic oil would meet the spec.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...estions-38867/

Old 02-10-2015, 01:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,871 Likes on 7,150 Posts

In my experience a manufacturer actually ** voiding ** a warranty is a bit unusual. It's most commonly done when the car is reported as a total loss.....crash damage, flood damage, etc.

Much more common is to deny warranty coverage *for a particular repair* because some requirement hasn't been met. For example....internal engine damage caused by non-spec motor oil. The warranty claim for the engine repair might well be denied. But *voiding the warranty* on the entire car because of incorrect motor oil is quite another matter and probably wouldn't happen.

Carry on

Cheers
DD

Old 02-10-2015, 08:26 PM
Veteran Member

I am pretty sure you could win the claim, in front of a jury, that the spec for the Castrol Pro Edge is done only to return owners to the Jaguar dealer for oil changes, but unfortunately, few of us have the time and money resources to fight them, if they choose to fight. That's the way the legal system works, at least in the US. The outcome is seldom worth the cost of litigating.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:47 AM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Warranty

Hi,

If my memory is correct I seem to remember a post stating that a certain version specs of Mobil 1 is up to Jaguar standards. Sorry but I don't recall which version.

Ed

Old 02-11-2015, 02:07 PM

Right, I guess they wouldn't "Void" the entire warranty. The appropriate question would be, will they deny a warranty claim if something goes wrong with engine and they find out I used a similar spec oil, but not exactly the Castrol SLX?

I read through a lot of previous threads on this forum and other JLR forums, the conclusion I came to is that the Mobil 1 is "suitable to use" for this oil spec: WSS M2C925-A, but it doesn't state anywhere that it meets or exceeds that spec.

Castrol Edge Titanium 5w-20 seems like the appropriate alternative, so would I ever get declined for warranty repair, if i use this oil?

Old 02-11-2015, 11:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 362 Likes on 273 Posts

They can demand a certain spec oil but they can't specify what you buy or who changes it, as long as you have proof the oil change met the spec, was done at the manufacturers required interval. A good example is GM's Dexos oil, while GM can specify it use, you can buy any brand that meets the Dexos spec.

Old 02-12-2015, 04:47 AM
Veteran Member

All of this is conjecture until there is another oil besides Castrol that "meets the spec".

It does not take an English major, nor a law degree to figure out that "suitable for use" IS NOT the same as "meets the spec".

Old 02-12-2015, 06:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 181 Posts

I have read though the posts and again it ends up another oil 'discussion' What Jaaag asked was,
"If I get my Jaguar serviced at an Independent dealer, will my factory warranty be voided?

Granted this would include an oil change and you could assume they would use the 'right' oil. Many other factors are at play to answer this question correctly and I would be interested too.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member

Gipps:
Why would anyone assume "they" would use the "right" oil? I assume by "right' you mean oil that meets the spec for the vehicle at question.
Is part of the contract you make with an independent repair facility that they will do so? In the US , the "uniform commercial code" might very well make an expectation that they will, but again, is the buyer prepared to enforce that?

It APPEARS that no oil, other than Castrol, claims to "meet the spec" and the Castrol oil is sold through certain dealers only. Can anyone offer evidence otherwise?

Old 02-12-2015, 11:53 AM
Received 170 Likes on 105 Posts

My dealer did our service in December and he used Castrol Edge 0W-20. It states 8 quarts, right on the worksheet. If the thing blows up, it is right there in writing what, and how much they used. So far it is still purring along.

Old 02-12-2015, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 181 Posts

Well it seems a pity that this secret elixir for this model Jag is only available on the black market.
Couldn't it be sourced by offering a sacrifice to the oil gods and taken to the Independent dealer.
Some like I have done paid an exorbitant amount to get the 'book' stamped by an authorized dealer.
So apart from this oil problem is there a reason the warranty could be void Ross?

Old 02-12-2015, 08:36 PM
Veteran Member

No! not that I know of, and I really hate the idea that they seem to have me for the period after my factory warranty (for which they change the oil), and my extended warranty until 100,000 miles. Given that there is apparently some issue with the primary chains on this beast, I really do not wish to be arguing with them that I don't have the proper ultraviolet dye in my oil (which is apparently the main difference between the "Titanium" and the SLX). dammit.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by sparkenzap
Gipps:
Why would anyone assume "they" would use the "right" oil? I assume by "right' you mean oil that meets the spec for the vehicle at question.
Is part of the contract you make with an independent repair facility that they will do so? In the US , the "uniform commercial code" might very well make an expectation that they will, but again, is the buyer prepared to enforce that?

It APPEARS that no oil, other than Castrol, claims to "meet the spec" and the Castrol oil is sold through certain dealers only. Can anyone offer evidence otherwise?
for my Engine...
WSS M2C925-A

from the very little searching I just did, it is a fully synthetic 5w-20 for extended oil change intervals...
a couple other oils meet the spec....if you google the spec. number. MobilOne does...

just type the spec number in and you can see lots of info on it - nothing special, really.
http://topix.landrover.jlrext.com/to...547ff73/en_GB?
says they "recommend" Castrol brand, oil must meet required specification, at a minimum!

Attached Files
Old 02-13-2015, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by panels
for my Engine...
WSS M2C925-A

from the very little searching I just did, it is a fully synthetic 5w-20 for extended oil change intervals...
a couple other oils meet the spec....if you google the spec. number. MobilOne does...

just type the spec number in and you can see lots of info on it - nothing special, really.
http://topix.landrover.jlrext.com/to...547ff73/en_GB?
says they "recommend" Castrol brand, oil must meet required specification, at a minimum!
Can you point me to that Mobil1 product's tech spec, I want to see it state that it "Meets the Spec" rather than "Suitable to Use". The Castrol SLX oil has a dye in it and other products don't, so it is fairly easy for a dealer to check and see if the right oil was used.

Quick Reply: Warranty Void?