XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Water pump

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2019, 02:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water pump

How often does the water pump have to be replaced?

Old 10-23-2019, 02:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 290 Posts

When it shows signs of leaking.

Old 10-23-2019, 02:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the dealer replaced it in 2017 would it need to be replace again today. Does it depend on the mileage?

Old 10-23-2019, 02:47 PM
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by donathon
If the dealer replaced it in 2017 would it need to be replace again today. Does it depend on the mileage?
Apparently the water pumps are known to fail, sometimes quickly, on these cars.

Old 10-23-2019, 03:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 352 Likes on 267 Posts

What are you trying to solve? Are you trying to get a dealer to pay for a replacement water pump that they installed 2-3 years ago? If so, that will just depend on the warranty they offered on their work at the time of the service. It's always possible that they put on a new pump, but that pump wasn't well manufactured. It wouldn't be their fault if it failed unless they gave a warranty for 3 years or more. Usually they have a 6 month or 1 year warranty, which means you would be out of luck.

Or are you trying to determine if a mechanic is blowing smoke up your *ss about needing a new water pump after it was replaced in 2017? Just ask them to do a pressure test and show you the leak. If it's leaking, it needs to be replaced regardless of how old it is.

Do all XF water pumps fail in 2-3 years? No, they don't, but some do.

Are you trying to budget for how often you will need a new pump on this car? If so, you can plan on anywhere from 1-10 years. It's pretty random. I know people with 2009 XF's that are still on their original pump.

This reminds me that I need to switch the coolant in my XF to Evans waterless coolant. Waterless coolant eliminates the pressure in the cooling system that causes the water pump seals and plastic pipes to fail since it doesn't have any water to expand as it gets hotter. Did that on my Range Rover Sport, and that engine has been working great. I'll order the Evans coolant now...

Last edited by lotusespritse; 10-23-2019 at 03:13 PM.
Old 10-23-2019, 10:34 PM
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
Old 11-01-2019, 11:41 AM

I am most likely going to replace my water pump when I pull the supercharger. It has a rusted center shaft ant the SC pulley shows signs of surface rust (likely from coolant thrown up there from the water pump.\\I was talking with these guys ( they rebuilt my TR6 pump).

Kellogg Automotive - Water Pump Rebuilding - Rebuilt Exchange

I am going to see if I can send them a used pump to see if he has better seals and can fit them in there. They do race pumps and classics ( many jags but not many modern ones) He did say that the OEM use the best seals that they can get hold of (GMB) for instance but he will see what he can do.

In the past he has machined WP face to fit larger (maybe better) seals in older designed pumps but it all depends on how the look and if the design would handle that.

Last edited by Jssaab; 11-01-2019 at 11:43 AM.
Old 11-08-2019, 01:36 PM

More info, I see in the workshop manual there is not mention to prime the water pump before starting the engine. ( Maybe I missed it?)

I may be old school and none of my Saabs 156K , 135k 256k and 248 K miles ever needed one, so its been a long time since i have done one.

Back in my muscle car days we would either pour antifreeze into the pump and spin the impeller a bunch of times to "pre-wet" the seal. In those pumps the seals actually needed to be wet to seal and lubricate before starting the engine at idle speed. We also idled the engine that way till the engine was warm. The thinking was failure to do so lessened the water pump life. Of course seals have come a long way since then but wahts teh harm i figure. Just need to use the proper recommended Antifreeze.

I still see this instruction on the gates website as well.

Also yo need o make sure that there is not air in the system or the new pump could cavitation and hurt the bearings or seal, I will use a pressure bleed to fill the entire system Maybe these steps might help the pump last longer.

Old 11-08-2019, 04:23 PM
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Jssaab
More info, I see in the workshop manual there is not mention to prime the water pump before starting the engine. ( Maybe I missed it?)

I may be old school and none of my Saabs 156K , 135k 256k and 248 K miles ever needed one, so its been a long time since i have done one.

Back in my muscle car days we would either pour antifreeze into the pump and spin the impeller a bunch of times to "pre-wet" the seal. In those pumps the seals actually needed to be wet to seal and lubricate before starting the engine at idle speed. We also idled the engine that way till the engine was warm. The thinking was failure to do so lessened the water pump life. Of course seals have come a long way since then but wahts teh harm i figure. Just need to use the proper recommended Antifreeze.

I still see this instruction on the gates website as well.

Also yo need o make sure that there is not air in the system or the new pump could cavitation and hurt the bearings or seal, I will use a pressure bleed to fill the entire system Maybe these steps might help the pump last longer.
i believe the forums more experienced do it your selfers do a process of vacuum filling which should eliminate the cavitation or at least the most harmful parts

Old 11-09-2019, 09:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,348 Likes on 1,849 Posts

I never worry about it and the car fills and burps the air out fine. No vacuum filling, no priming. Just a plain fill and several heat/cool cycles.
Do you know where the air bleed is on your car? That's a good spot to bleed the air out of.

I would not get the pump rebuilt. Jaguar has revised the water pump somewhere around 6-7 times based on part number changes. I would just install the latest part number pump.
The latest I know of is part #AJ813909.

Here is a thread about this for more info;

Water Pump