XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Water Pump Failure

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 07:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by axr6
From this thread, most reports of failure appears to be on 2009 and 2010 models. Was there a running change to the better water pumps for the newer model years? I have two 5.0 cars, an XJL and an XF. Both are 2012s.

Thanks,

Albert
My '11 SC pump was replaced at 17k miles due to early signs of leaking .

Old 05-19-2015, 09:54 PM
Received 2,636 Likes on 1,816 Posts

Originally Posted by Bellanca_XF
You said different on the 3.0 NA; anyway, when they do fail is 2 years considered "normal?" Mine is an early 2013 build and I got it in July of 2013. I'm willing to forgive some issues on any car but that...with 20k on the car?
Yes, the 3.0 NA has a different design and layout for the cooling system.

It is just a guess as to when the water pump can fail. I do not know if that many kilometres/miles makes a difference.

A good idea is to check the water pump for leaks and seepage from time to time so you are not surprised with a loss of coolant when driving and the engine is destroyed due to overheating.

Old 05-20-2015, 03:47 AM
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by NBCat
Yes, the 3.0 NA has a different design and layout for the cooling system.

It is just a guess as to when the water pump can fail. I do not know if that many kilometres/miles makes a difference.

A good idea is to check the water pump for leaks and seepage from time to time so you are not surprised with a loss of coolant when driving and the engine is destroyed due to overheating.

....I was just confused since we were talking about the XF, not the X-Type, but on that note I did kind of wonder why Jaguar didn't offer the current 3.0 in NA form instead of the borrowed 2.0L EcoBoost from Ford.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Water pump failure.

While this is an old thread, in response to your question about the water pump failure: I used to be a Jaguar technician and the 5.0L water pump was an extremely common failure. It was something we looked for on every 5.0L (naturally aspirated and supercharged) for both leaks and pulley failure. The issue was not design related, but rather manufacturer related. Both Jaguar and the manufacturer of the pump itself did everything they could to deny that there was a problem, but we continued to see very low mileage failures of these pumps on an almost weekly basis. They had an issue with the pulley bushing failing and causing the pump to leak out of the weephole behind the pulley, leaking coolant onto the belt and in more extreme cases slinging coolant off the belt as well. This also caused the pulley to wobble, and if left unchecked fall off. We had to replace a few engines because of this. Trust me, your tech knows what he's talking about and hopefully they've finally fixed the issue. Aside from that, the 5.0L is one hell of an engine.
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
So I dropped my car off this week to have some things looked at, including the recall for the fuel line issue. Turns out I need a new drive belt and water pump. The tech said the water pump is a common issue (a search here turned up a few threads) and he belived the pump caused the belt to start to fail.

Either way, since this water pump is a known issue, is the new pump a better design than the original?

Thanks guys

2010 XF Supercharged 26k miles

Old 08-01-2015, 06:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 363 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by Brutal
5.0 litre water pumps failure is common and the new pumps are more robust, bearings and additional seals. Gotta love cheapest bidders for parts and bean counters
Yep, My guess is for whatever reason your dealer is getting the old non updated WP. Mine was done at about 46,753 mi, I now have 64,000 mi. with no issues running to and around Vegas with 122°F temps.

Old 08-01-2015, 04:56 PM

I haven't worked for them in a few years, so I'm glad to hear they finally updated the design.

Old 08-02-2015, 10:22 AM

I just had my car serviced and they replaced the water pump after finding a small coolant leak - only 18k miles. It's a 2012 but manufacture date was 11/2011.

Old 08-02-2015, 06:39 PM

That sounds about right. I haven't spoken to anyone with a replacement pump so I have no idea of the long term reliability of the warranty pump.

Old 06-27-2016, 02:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old thread but I just wanted to share my experience. I have a '10 XF Supercharged and noticed the smell of coolant about a week ago. I took it to the dealer and they said the water pump was bad. This was quite a surprise since I had less than 40,000 miles. I tried getting some assistance from Jaguar NA since it appears to be a known issue. The cost ended up being a little less than $800 to replace. In the end I was told that no, they couldn't help defray the cost. So yeah, thanks Jag!

Old 09-19-2016, 03:18 PM
Default Restricted Performance

I have an 09 xfsc which has restricted performance warning. check the codes when check engine light came on which read water pump. I see nor hear any issues with the existing pump. Could it simply be a sensor for this part??? i recently had to change the coolant expansion tank. prior to this no issues..frustrated with getting all kinds of different views from dealers trying to rip me off i gather..Any guidance would be truly appreciated.

Old 09-19-2016, 04:50 PM
Received 126 Likes on 116 Posts

I bet your "water pump" code is referring to the intercooler water pump not engine water pump.

Old 09-19-2016, 06:19 PM

That sounds about right mate. Do you know the diference and what i should do next?
cheers

Old 09-19-2016, 07:56 PM
Received 126 Likes on 116 Posts

There are several threads that discuss it.

Search for coolant pump.

Or look at this thread.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...pgrade-152574/

Old 09-19-2016, 11:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 363 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by dokjonz71
I have an 09 xfsc which has restricted performance warning. check the codes when check engine light came on which read water pump. I see nor hear any issues with the existing pump. Could it simply be a sensor for this part??? i recently had to change the coolant expansion tank. prior to this no issues..frustrated with getting all kinds of different views from dealers trying to rip me off i gather..Any guidance would be truly appreciated.
Normally a malfunction in the Coolant recovery tank will just kick on the low coolant dash light.
The "Restricted performance" in addition to the water pump code is usually the electric water pump that's used to circulate coolant for the superchargers inter/charge cooler.

Old 09-22-2016, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

My '10 XKR smelled coolant ever since I purchased it 3 year ago with 6K miles. Took it to the dealer for a pressure test and it tested out fine. No coolant is ever missing from the overflow reservoir.

I just completed a 1200 miles drive through some truly deserted desert roads from CA to Las Vegas and more. The smell was always there, fairly stong when ever I got out of the car or just simply lowered the window.

Needlessl to say it was hard to relax driving through hundreds of miles of empty deserts, sometimes not seeing and other vehicle for hours. I managed to come close to touching 160 MPH on a totally empty desert road with zero traffic. The car ran superbly and, once again, no missing coolant from the reservoir. I know I am not imagining the coolant smell, even my gorgeous passenger (not mechanically inclined) commented about it.

I am at loss for the cause for the smell.

Old 10-01-2016, 02:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 498 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by axr6
My '10 XKR smelled coolant ever since I purchased it 3 year ago with 6K miles. Took it to the dealer for a pressure test and it tested out fine. No coolant is ever missing from the overflow reservoir.

I just completed a 1200 miles drive through some truly deserted desert roads from CA to Las Vegas and more. The smell was always there, fairly stong when ever I got out of the car or just simply lowered the window.

Needlessl to say it was hard to relax driving through hundreds of miles of empty deserts, sometimes not seeing and other vehicle for hours. I managed to come close to touching 160 MPH on a totally empty desert road with zero traffic. The car ran superbly and, once again, no missing coolant from the reservoir. I know I am not imagining the coolant smell, even my gorgeous passenger (not mechanically inclined) commented about it.

I am at loss for the cause for the smell.

I'll hazard a guess, and say that prior to you purchasing the car, the original water pump failed, flung coolant all over the engine/engine compartment, and wasn't thoroughly cleaned off, after the new pump was installed.

I'd give the engine and surrounding area a good dousing with a cleaner like Simple Green, and then rinse off with a low pressure hose, avoiding the electrical connections wherever possible.

Back on the topic......with respect to the water pump failures. I have a 2009 XF, with the NA engine. Are these cars prone to have pump failures, AND do they also have the trouble prone plastic coolant crossover tube?

Old 10-03-2016, 08:55 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

>I have a 2009 XF, with the NA engine. Are these cars prone to have pump failures, AND do they also have the trouble prone plastic coolant crossover tube?

The '09 has the 4.2 and that is a very, very, stout engine. There are no known trouble areas like the 5.0 water pumps.

However the fragility of the coolant lines, etc., up front, is true. So be careful when "muck'n" around up ther'ah.
================================================
Jaguar - it's not an automobile, it's a Motorcar
2015 JCNA National Slalom Champion Class M
Current: '08 S-Type 4.2 "Satin Edition" (250.06 whp / 259.67 torque)
Past: '05 X-Type 3.0/auto Jaguar Racing Green

Old 10-03-2016, 08:58 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

Oh, for anyone that has a 4.2 engine, I suggest that you occasionally take a look at the S-Type forum (S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum) since that engine is discussed regularly over there.

Old 10-03-2016, 12:00 PM
Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

is the water pump replacement an DIY option? for someone with good mechanical skills and normal tools? my 2010 XFs has 9000 miles on it

Old 10-04-2016, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 204 Likes on 156 Posts

I think the majority of people have had it done under warranty but swapping the water pump shouldn't be too difficult. The plastic coolant pipes are prone to leak so you may want to replace them at the same time.

See this thread for the plastic lines I'm talking about: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...cement-165783/

The following users liked this post:
Injekter (10-04-2016)

Quick Reply: Water Pump Failure