XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Water Pump, gaskets & o-rings

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 06:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Pump, gaskets & o-rings

Hi All !! I need some expertise with this coolant leak on my 2010 xf... I original water pump was bad and leaking from the actual pump... Changed the oil cooler outlet tube, the 2 o-rings, gaskets and pump.
2 months have gone by with no issue.... Past weekend, the "coolant low" message came on and I added some fluid... 2 min later, back again.... This time when I went to add more, the coolant was literally flowing out as fast as I was putting it in - big ole water fall.

I can't tell what's really going on... It looks to be coming from the bottom on the pump. Could it be leaking from the back where the pump connects to the cooler outlet tube? I have it apart and the mounting holes - around the outside edge looks like it wore away somehow. Adding pics to show the water pump and this weird wear - could that be it?

Or is the cooler outlet tube not installed right? Adding pic to that as well.. And vid of the leak...

water pump lower mounting hole-outside area

oil cooler tube - is this installed right?

back of water pump - look ok?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Old 08-12-2019, 11:06 PM
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Adding for reference if it helps any. It seems the replacement mounting method is very specific or it might do what you described.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...change-214963/

Old 08-12-2019, 11:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 290 Posts

Plastic outlet pipe looks alright, but you'll definitely want to pull that off and make sure that the o-ring is properly mounted on the metal pipe from the oil cooler before you refit it.

Also I'd definitely clean up those holes on the back of the pump where the gaskets go before refitting it - don't forget the gaskets are basically super thin pieces of metal coated in a similar surface to the multi-layer steel head gaskets on our engine - the coating is only supposed to really seal against the machined surface on the block. Dirt/deposits/etc could prevent the gaskets from sealing.

Finally, be careful installing the pump - don't do what I did and repeatedly use the bolts to pull the pump on straight - these are tiny M6 screws going into aluminum, and I've had to helicoil all four holes, which are a pain to drill straight when the engine's in the car. I know it's a real PITA but you should be able to put the bolts in a few turns with the pump straight and then push it home against the outlet pipe before doing the bolts up.

As an aside, I'd have some choice words for the person who designed that water pump and the way it's mounted to the engine/oil cooler.

Old 08-13-2019, 08:06 AM

Thanks for the feedback Littered and Dave... This helps.... I saw the link say I can use the coolant as a lubricant for the 2 o-rings.... What about being able to align the gaskets? I saw putting screws in and seating the gaskets on. How do I get a better alignment of those gaskets to hold? Should the seals be bone dry when it connects to the block?

And, I can't tell where the problem is, so thinking I need to get all new parts and redo... That immediate leak that was a waterfall couldn't be from the gaskets or the back of the pump where it connects to the tube?

Old 08-21-2019, 08:13 PM
Default Big Problem...

Ok.. So I had the water pump mailed out under warranty... Cleaned the block. Bought the new gasket seals from dealer... The metal ones were great since they actually gripped the mounting screws and keep the gaskets in place. The fiber ones moved all around.... Installed new o-ring as well... Used my snake camera to watch that the back of the pump seated correctly over the o ring and cooler line....

Put the hoses on and I added some fluid to the tank to check it... And it is just started flowing right thru none stop coming from behind the water pump... Literally leaking out just as fast as I was adding fluid.
So I am ruling out the pump now...

What can it be? Is it actually under the manifold leaking that bad? I tried to look around and I see a mention of a crossover?

Old 08-22-2019, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by lou_van
Ok.. So I had the water pump mailed out under warranty... Cleaned the block. Bought the new gasket seals from dealer... The metal ones were great since they actually gripped the mounting screws and keep the gaskets in place. The fiber ones moved all around.... Installed new o-ring as well... Used my snake camera to watch that the back of the pump seated correctly over the o ring and cooler line....

Put the hoses on and I added some fluid to the tank to check it... And it is just started flowing right thru none stop coming from behind the water pump... Literally leaking out just as fast as I was adding fluid.
So I am ruling out the pump now...

What can it be? Is it actually under the manifold leaking that bad? I tried to look around and I see a mention of a crossover?

You might check the seals on this joint. The seals from Jag were $20, the part from Jag was $18 and came with the seals.

I wasted a gallon of coolant chasing this leak down as it looks just like the plastic tube off the back of the water pump is leaking.

It goes in the neck that's sticking up and connects to water crossover. The other culprit could be the hose that runs under the intake or SC, If it's that the intake/SC has to come off, and you might as well change the plastic rear coolant crossover.

The crossover connects to the hose as seen here.