XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Water Pump & Intake Gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2020, 04:22 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Water Pump & Intake Gaskets

Replacing water pump and probably the front crossover pipe as I'm pretty sure that's what leaking . Question is do I need to put any gasket sealer on the water pump gaskets? Also if I have to remove the intake manifold to change the crossover pipe do I need to replace the intake gaskets, I'll be removing the intake again in a few months when I do the rear crossover when it gets warmer and will probably replace these gaskets then anyway.
current miles 95k

Thanks

Old 12-23-2020, 07:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 699 Posts

Many people say its not necessary, but I did. Those seals ARE ridiculously expensive for what look like simple green rubber bands. But its such a big job to remove the intake that I didn't want to risk doing it again because of a vacuum leak. I didn't measure, but just eyeballing, the new seals did appear to stick out further than the old ones once installed in the grooves. I would say the risk increases with the age and mileage. I just did mine last month at 51K miles. Replaced both front and rear PA66 coolant pipes. Also, highly recommend you clean your intake valves while you have the manifold off. I was astonished at how gummy some of the valves were. Seemed much worse at the front of the motor closest to the PCV ports.

Another tip while its fresh in my mind, after you exhaust your vocabulary of swear words at the Jaguar engineer who spec'd torx head fasteners for the rear crossover tube, go to the hardware store and get some standard hex head bolts with the same dimensions. Then you can reinstall it with a regular 10mm deep socket which makes it so much easier because your tool won't be wedged between the bolt and the firewall. And last tip, if you'd move to Texas, you could do it all at once without freezing your unmentionables off.

The following users liked this post:
nsl1 (12-23-2020)
Old 01-02-2021, 03:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nsl1
Replacing water pump and probably the front crossover pipe as I'm pretty sure that's what leaking . Question is do I need to put any gasket sealer on the water pump gaskets? Also if I have to remove the intake manifold to change the crossover pipe do I need to replace the intake gaskets, I'll be removing the intake again in a few months when I do the rear crossover when it gets warmer and will probably replace these gaskets then anyway.
current miles 95k

Thanks
Hi I am new in the forum and new with my XF 3.0 2011 , I do have a problem with the water pump and I need to replace it. Where can I find / order a pump and the belt one will need.
I found one on ebay = https://www.ebay.com/itm/264917319055?ul_noapp=true

I s it OK to order?

Thanks

Old 01-03-2021, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 699 Posts

Originally Posted by Itzhak Raz Rachelzon
Hi I am new in the forum and new with my XF 3.0 2011 , I do have a problem with the water pump and I need to replace it. Where can I find / order a pump and the belt one will need.
I found one on ebay = https://www.ebay.com/itm/264917319055?ul_noapp=true

I s it OK to order?

Thanks
I think you've got an entirely different engine than the one this thread is about. We're discussing the AJ133 90 degree V8 sold in the US market. I'm guessing you've got the AJ30 60 degree V6 with which I'm not familiar. Probably get a more useful response by posting a new thread. Good luck.

Old 01-04-2021, 04:48 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Well - It wasn't the water pump that was leaking but the crossover pipe. Crossover pipe fittings to block disintegrated when I removed it. I couldn't believe that it was still holding to any extent. Replaced both water pump and crossover pipe in addition to the thermostat and oil cooler to water pump pipe. Big issue with replacing the thermostat is it started leaking as there is an o-ring in the lower thermostat fitting that is not available separately- it's part of the lower radiator hose. So I recommend planning to replace this part - c2z22155 as well if your doing the thermostat - Luckily I was able to stop the leak by turning the o-ring inside out but will replace the part when I do the rear crossover in the spring. Also - I was able to get to the front crossover pipe bolts by just lifting the intake manifold without having to remove the wiring harness etc in the rear - saves some labor and the old intake manifold gaskets seemed to work ok when I put it all put together - will replace those in the spring as well as maybe try to do the sparkplugs while I have everything apart. I didn't use any gasket sealant on the water pump gaskets. This was a PIA job but doable.