XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Weekend XF-R test drive (long winded question)

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 03:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I spoke with my local Jaguar dealer's service and they ran the VIN. Everything checked out fine. They did recommend an oil change which I will have done later this week. (They told me that oil changes at 7500, 22500, 37500 miles etc are out of my pocket but the services at 15k, 30k, 45k miles are covered and paid for by Jaguar. Does that sound about right?

Sadly, it has been a cold and rainy day to drive my new car. And as far as: "Don't 'woulda, coulda, shoulda,'" I could not agree more. That is why I jumped on this car as quickly as I could and still feel comfortable. You and the other members of the forum were a large part of the 'comfortable' part of the equation.

Darin

Old 10-08-2012, 04:29 PM
Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Oh man but the car drives so well in the rain! At least this gives you an opportunity to go into the garage and feed the leather... My XJ-S gets very bad sun damage on the wood, and I've experimented with a few things to try and protect it from fading. Formula 303 is my usual goto for UV protection but on the wood finish leaves a nasty, oily sheen. Nu Shine claims to offer UV protection, and is the best thing I've found so far. Leaves it with a very nice high gloss polish... haven't been using it long enough on either car to see if it will protect against sun damage though...

They are probably correct about the 7500, 22500, etc. mile oil changes being on your dime because those aren't required! Jaguar did a thorough analysis of oil coming out of the cars at various dealerships around the world in a wide variety of driving situations before coming to the conclusion that oil changes could be extended to 15,000 miles/1 year. So in a nutshell sounds as if the dealer is trying to get you in to pay for more service than necessary!

Enter a chorus of members here discussing why it is not a good idea to extend oil changes out to 15,000 miles. BUT considering that Jaguar is on the hook for costly engines in the event of damage, I'm willing to go with the manufacturer on this one...

Cheers,

- Will

Last edited by macboots; 10-08-2012 at 04:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
XF - Xtra Fast (10-08-2012)
Old 10-08-2012, 04:30 PM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

http://www.jaguar.com/us/en/owner_support/service_and_maintenance/warranty/jaguar_platinum_coverage
Click the passport to service link for your maintenance agreement. If the car is 12 months old and has never had an oilchange it is time. If the car has 15k miles it is time, and finally if the car is telling you it is time it is time.
Sounds like based on the amount of time the car has been driven you are due for oil change. If it were me I would ask the dealer to make this your free one and then do the next free one at a year later or another 15k miles.
Call Jaguar North America and transfer the car into your name. Consider getting LoJack or Mopar EVTS... I got the Mopar EVTS on mine.
EVTS uses GPS and cell to track vehicles. When I turn my car off ever time it transmits its location to EVTS, if it moves more then a foot it without being started with the smart key it reports itself stolen and sends me a text saying HELP someone is stealing me. The Supercharged Jaguars are scarce protect it! http://www.mopar.com/shop/evts/
I also have a button I can push on the dash to get a onstar type operator that can help me with concierge services or call for help.

Last edited by XF - Xtra Fast; 10-08-2012 at 04:31 PM. Reason: add better link to vehicle tracking
The following users liked this post:
dsmith (10-08-2012)
Old 10-08-2012, 04:34 PM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by macboots

Enter a chorus of members here discussing why it is not a good idea to extend oil changes out to 15,000 miles. BUT considering that Jaguar is on the hook for costly engines in the event of damage, I'm willing to go with the manufacturer on this one...
Jaguar does want yearly oil changes too check the link I just posted to the warranty/maintenance on Jag's site.

Jag NA can tell you when your car was serviced. Mine had a oil change at 13k I bought it at 14,538 and had the oil changed again.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by macboots
Oh man but the car drives so well in the rain! At least this gives you an opportunity to go into the garage and feed the leather... My XJ-S gets very bad sun damage on the wood, and I've experimented with a few things to try and protect it from fading. Formula 303 is my usual goto for UV protection but on the wood finish leaves a nasty, oily sheen. Nu Shine claims to offer UV protection, and is the best thing I've found so far. Leaves it with a very nice high gloss polish... haven't been using it long enough on either car to see if it will protect against sun damage though...

They are probably correct about the 7500, 22500, etc. mile oil changes being on your dime because those aren't required! Jaguar did a thorough analysis of oil coming out of the cars at various dealerships around the world in a wide variety of driving situations before coming to the conclusion that oil changes could be extended to 15,000 miles/1 year. So in a nutshell sounds as if the dealer is trying to get you in to pay for more service than necessary!

Cheers,

- Will
1. The rain did have me a little spooked today. Drove like a granny. This car has MUCH more power than any car I've ever owned and was nervous about traction. I'm sure I will learn its limits over time. I don't mind eating a little humble pie .

2. Looks like there has not been an oil change since it was put in service as a demo maybe a year ago. I'll probably at least go ahead and do one now. That way I know exactly where I stand on.

Again, thanks for all the info!

Darin

Old 10-08-2012, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by XF - Xtra Fast
http://www.jaguar.com/us/en/owner_support/service_and_maintenance/warranty/jaguar_platinum_coverage
Click the passport to service link for your maintenance agreement. If the car is 12 months old and has never had an oilchange it is time. If the car has 15k miles it is time, and finally if the car is telling you it is time it is time.
Sounds like based on the amount of time the car has been driven you are due for oil change. If it were me I would ask the dealer to make this your free one and then do the next free one at a year later or another 15k miles.
Call Jaguar North America and transfer the car into your name. Consider getting LoJack or Mopar EVTS... I got the Mopar EVTS on mine.
EVTS uses GPS and cell to track vehicles. When I turn my car off ever time it transmits its location to EVTS, if it moves more then a foot it without being started with the smart key it reports itself stolen and sends me a text saying HELP someone is stealing me. The Supercharged Jaguars are scarce protect it! Mopar Electronic Vehicle Tracking System | Mopar
I also have a button I can push on the dash to get a onstar type operator that can help me with concierge services or call for help.
1. Thanks for the links. I'm going to wait on transfering with Jaguar until I get the car actually titled in my name which should be soon. With the banks being closed today, I've been set back a little on that.

2. I had not even thought about any other theft-deterrant devices. I'll have to give that some thought and research.

Thanks!

Darin