XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

What to buy next?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 07:24 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What to buy next?

Guys, it's time to sell the XFR. No issues with the car, I have had it for one year and should be able to sell it for a profit. Why that is... Is a long story.

Anyway, I am looking at the new M5 and the CLS550/6.3. The XJ is a bit further down the list. Any thoughts, especially any opinions from those that have driven the new CLS.

Thanks

Old 02-13-2012, 09:58 AM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Isn't this an XF forum? My advise get meaner a 2012 XFR-S

Old 02-13-2012, 12:01 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Funny because I was the opposite. My last car was a CLS which I loved, but wasn't an XF. I've had a wonderful track record with MB and have never had a mechancial issue with any that I have owned (5 or so). However, I'm not sure I like the styling of the new CLS, plus would have to get the AMG to have the same pick up as my supercharged. CLS drives much softer with less feedback. I would try the XJ if I were you or XK if you are feeling sporty.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Rique
Isn't this an XF forum? My advise get meaner a 2012 XFR-S

I agree!

Old 02-13-2012, 07:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts

I have a E63 AMG as well and feel the JAg is a bit better than my AMG. I see AMG's all over,but I do not see many R JAG's around. The MB is over rated IMHO and the maintainence is a bit much.Just my brakes alone cost $3,800 to replace out of pocket.The 11 XFR I think ar free? Things like that keep me in the Jag over my AMG. I would consider a CL65 but they fetch to much still so I will stick to a Jag for now.

Old 02-14-2012, 05:59 AM

I had hoped that the forum wasn't so jaded that we would only consider Jaguars. All cars have their good and bad points. Most of us bought our cars after careful consideration and not because we had to have a Jag.

I bought the XFR for my wife but she is not a big fan.... And she would prefer left hand drive this time. I know... I could get a left hand drive Jag but she is a big Benz fan.... Long prior history with no problems.

Unlike in the states, the opposite is true here, Jags do not have a service contract included in the price but the the BMW and Benz do. The resale value is also a concern for me, the M's and AMG's always seem to hold their value better.

The numbers I have seen in Car and Driver seem to show that the CLS550 have the same 1/4 mile times as my XFR and the AMG is on another level. The numbers from Benz are always conservative.

So has anyone driven the new CLS? I still haven't gotten a price from the dealers for the M5 yet, so who knows when it will be released for test drives.

Old 02-19-2012, 07:17 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by InJapan
Guys, it's time to sell the XFR. No issues with the car, I have had it for one year and should be able to sell it for a profit. Why that is... Is a long story.

Anyway, I am looking at the new M5 and the CLS550/6.3. The XJ is a bit further down the list. Any thoughts, especially any opinions from those that have driven the new CLS.

Thanks

You haven't said what you want from your next car? CLS is more of an old man's car. Someone like Rupert Murdock. If that is what you want then go for it.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:06 AM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Interesting topic for a Jag thread and forum. I have driven the CLS 550 and the previous generation M5 (the new one is not available at the local dealer). These cars have quite different characters and I suspect that the new M5 will be as different again.

The only thing I would point out is that rarely do the numbers tell all and you must drive the car before you make a choice. In the end emotion drives the purchase as much as sheer pragmatism and numbers. If your wife's preferences are the main driver here, then start with the Benz and, so long as the driving experience is in line with your needs, then you will not go wrong. BMW's tend to be colder more driver orientated machines than either Jags or Benz'. Some like them (I happen to like them) some hate them but in the end it is the driving experience and not the numbers that will make the choice for you.

I doubt any of us can tell you which one to buy. We can probably tell you how reliable they have been or what the dealer experience has been like, but which to buy is dependent on who is driving it and what they want from the driving experience. Some people buy a car to be seen in, some like an isolated experience, some like a car that keeps you connected with the road and so on. Again, I would repeat, do not trust the numbers, drive it and then look at performance figures, depreciation, cost etc. And it your wife is the main reason for the change, let her make the decision. You will regret it if you make the decision for her :-)....

Old 02-19-2012, 09:47 AM
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I haven't driven one yet, but the new M5 seems worthy of consideration. I suggest checking out the comments on www.M5board.com.

I have driven several AMG cars and didn't like any of them. AMG's tuning philosophy seems to tend towards a stiff, unforgiving ride, while not pulling significantly more G or quicker slalom times than their competitors. I also find Mercedes interiors cold and unappealing.

If you don't want to keep your XFR, is that because you want something with fewer doors? Not sure I understand why you want to move on after only 1 year of ownership.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Cars in this end of the market are 100% emotional. Nobody needs one. Not only that but some pretty mundane machinery is getting very close to the luxury/quality end of the market, particularly some Ford products and the expensive end of the Hyundai product line.

Performance of these cheaper cars is very close to that of the expensive ego driven models.

Interestingly, the European manufacturers making money selling cars supply the high end of the market. There is serious over capacity in the mundane end of the market. It is easy to see what is driving mundane machinery up market.

However, a Hyundai will never command profit margin like a Jaguar. Even Toyota still can't sell its Lexus for as much as Mercedes sells its Lexus equivalent.

What's in a name eh?

Old 02-19-2012, 02:24 PM

I've got no issues with the single year of ownership. Life's to short not to experience more than a few cars. I think you've got your bases covered unless you want to go in a considerbally different direction. Audi R8, Nissan GT-R come to mind with the new Acura NSX not just to far off. Happy hunting!

Old 02-19-2012, 09:28 PM

The cls550 is not that close to the xfr in any performance measure. The xfr would compete with AMG which again usually wins these comparisons as well. The caddy Cts-v is the only competing sedan that it can't beat from what I've read
besides the M3. (know nothing about the new M5's).

Old 02-19-2012, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by jlindy
The cls550 is not that close to the xfr in any performance measure. The xfr would compete with AMG which again usually wins these comparisons as well. The caddy Cts-v is the only competing sedan that it can't beat from what I've read
besides the M3. (know nothing about the new M5's).
Edit: I'm seeing some conflicting stories about the new 2012 cls550 coming in with very impressive numbers. Wow!

Old 02-20-2012, 03:56 AM

I guess I should have been a bit clearer.
My wife likes cushy luxurious cars with torque. I would occasionally drive it... And of course since I pay for it.... I push her choices to something a bit more aggressive. What I was looking for is any big negatives or positives pushing me toward one of the cars. Being in Japan, I essentially pick a car from a brochure. I don't get to test drive anything.
Draw backs for me... Jag... The dealer / distributor doesn't like me because of how I worked the system to get my XFR. The CLS only seats four, and cuts down on its usefulness. My wife HATES the previous iterations of the semiauto in the M's.
Thanks for the info

Old 02-20-2012, 07:40 AM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Enleighten us on how you worked the system to get your XFR.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:55 AM
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

IJ;

The wife is right and the then head of Audi, Ferdinand Piech, agreed when he said "People think they are buying horsepower but what they are really buying is torque."

Do you need four doors?

For the first time in a long time the new 2013 BMW M6 looks good again in either version and with the same engine as the M5 it is set to be a stunner.

Always happy to have the flip top option.

Geneva preview: 2012 BMW M6 arrives as most powerful M car ever

Or what about the Audi RS5?

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/audi/20...-ar116001.html

http://www.topgear.com/uk/audi/a5/road-test/rs5

And isn't the Audi RS7 supposed to hit the road soon?

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/secret-...i-a7-revealed/

How cool would a four door hard top convertible be???

cheers,

jj

Last edited by jamjax; 02-20-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:25 AM

I need four doors... Small kids.
First time I have seen the M6.... SEXY!

I know Audi has come up several notches... But my wife owned an Audi 10+ years ago and she hated that car.

The way I gamed the system...
I had a Japanese spec XFR built by Jaguar in the UK at UK military pricing . Not quite US military pricing but pretty damn close. About 10-12% off MSRP. They basically built me a UK version with the Japanese modifications swapped in. I also had it shipped directly to me in Japan and not through the Japanese dealer/ distributor. I didn't realize that Jaguar Japan is not owned by Jaguar.
I'm sure everyone could look it up but I got my 100% Japanese spec XFR... For around $73K US. A Japanese spec XFR in Japan goes for 12,000,000 Yen or about $150,000+.
As you can imagine Jaguar Japan was not happy and did not want to honor the warrantee or even service the car... I had to have Jaguar UK step in to make them.
So my plan is to sell the XFR, even a year old, I should make a nice sum.
Part of the agreement to service my car came with the stipulation that military sales will never again sell a J spec car.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

InJapan,

I think you have answered your own question in post #6.

Seems like you are very gravitated towards to Benz. I would have the wife drive one and see if she like it.

My impression of Benz? Very nice cars, the quality incorporated into them is a chart topper.
Although, I have driven 2010 E550 and compared to the 2010 XF premium, i would take the XF any day. It's more of a driver's car than Mercedes Benz. To be honest, i was quite shocked to find myself not impressed by the silver star as much as i thought i would.

I don't know about the second generation CLS, but the first gen is based on chassis used in the C class. Therefore, it could be a little more nimble and have better handling than the E class.

As far as the BMW goes, i would dig in a little more to see if you can come up with pricing on them. Seems like some members have ordered and received their F10 M5s according to M5 | BIMMERPOST | BMW Forum, BMW News and BMW Blog.

At the end of the day, the decision is yours and you would have to go out there and stretch the legs in those monsters to see if it's up to your liking.

Good luck!

Old 02-21-2012, 03:45 PM

The new CLS chassis is based on the E.
My wife is gravitating to the CLS... I personally don't really like the new styling direction that Benz has taken. No chance for a test drive here but I guess We could drive up to Tokyo to sit in one. But then it is game over. Once my wife gets inside a new car, I won't hear the end of it until she has the keys in her hand.

Those M5 posts are all Europeans... They get them first... And they PAY for it. Someone has to subsidize the cheaper US prices. I still haven't heard from my military dealer about pricing for the US model M5.

Old 02-21-2012, 04:36 PM
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Small kids....last chance for a two door.....kids are flexible....come to think on it aren't two doors safer for small kids?

Too bad about Audi's they really are much better cars than they were ten years ago....the new RS6 looks like it will be released in time to compete with the new M5....hey you could tell the wife it has a Lamborghini engine now.

How about Ultra-Sexy the best looking four door in the world:

2012 Maserati Quattroporte » Top Car Trends | Specs | Reviews | Car Release | Price | Pictures

Had one new MB and swore never again....long list of problems....and I agree the new MB's look like Buicks.

Be careful which car you let your wife sit in.....

I always preferred the way BMW's drive over the MB's.

Let us know what you end up getting.

cheers,

jj

Last edited by jamjax; 02-21-2012 at 04:42 PM.

Quick Reply: What to buy next?