XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

What is this in Engine Compartment??

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 12:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is this in Engine Compartment??

Hi I was trying to change the super charger fluid when this black piping broke. The heat made it very brittle.
I have attached a few pics, it was attached to this black thing.

My question is, what is the function of this thing and what is it called?

Thank you for the help

Attached Thumbnails What is this in Engine Compartment??-img_7225.jpg   What is this in Engine Compartment??-img_7224.jpg   What is this in Engine Compartment??-img_7226.jpg  
Old 06-26-2017, 06:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 501 Likes on 299 Posts

It appears that one of the hoses, that is part of the crankcase ventilation system, is missing.

Old 06-26-2017, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
It appears that one of the hoses, that is part of the crankcase ventilation system, is missing.
yes that was the hose that cracked because it was so brittle. Is it a required part to drive the jaguar? I haven't turned it on since. Or is it something just needed for emissions?

Old 06-26-2017, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member

I posted my "half reply" early this morning, before I had a chance to go out in the garage, and take a look under the hood of our XF. Our car is a non-supercharged, '09. The hose on our car, runs between that "canister" that's in your picture, on one end, and feeds into the throttle body, behind the throttle blade, at the other end. I'm sure that the other end is probably obvious to you.

I know that Jag used the fancy "press-to-release" clamps on each end of the hose, but I reckon that a simple piece of automotive grade, rubber hose would probably work, too. Without this hose in place, I assume you'd have a massive vacuum leak.

Good luck!

Old 06-26-2017, 01:57 PM

I posted my "half reply" early this morning, before I had a chance to go out in the garage, and take a look under the hood of our XF. Our car is a non-supercharged, '09. The hose on our car, runs between that "canister" that's in your picture, on one end, and feeds into the throttle body, behind the throttle blade, at the other end. I'm sure that the other end is probably obvious to you.

I know that Jag used the fancy "press-to-release" clamps on each end of the hose, but I reckon that a simple piece of automotive grade, rubber hose would probably work, too. Without this hose in place, I assume you'd have a massive vacuum leak.

Good luck!

thank you so much!! I'm going to try to find a replacement hose for this

Old 06-26-2017, 02:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,458 Likes on 1,932 Posts

It's part of the PCV system. Get the hose from the dealer. A normal rubber hose won't work.

Old 06-27-2017, 07:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 204 Likes on 156 Posts

Well, a normal hose would work it you routed it correctly and had clamps on the ends. Without the hose there would be a massive vacuum leak. The car likely wouldn't run. If it did run it would run poorly and stall.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:37 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by clubairth1
It's part of the PCV system. Get the hose from the dealer. A normal rubber hose won't work.

Although the OE "hose" is all nice and molded to shape, and compact, in a pinch, in order to get the car running, a piece of heavy duty, automotive rated hose, would work just fine. Before engine compartments got all compacted and cluttered, requiring "molded to shape" hoses, Chrysler, Ford, and GM, all used simple lengths of rubber hose, for their PCV systems......for MANY years.

Old 06-30-2017, 02:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 597 Likes on 473 Posts

no I'm afraid a normal piece of hose will not work . the PCV PIPE we are talking about holds 30hg vacuum on deceleration . In which will collapse a pubber pipe .
however i have repaired one of the plastic PCV PIPES before with a piece of 16mm ID hydraulic vacuum return pipe . IT SLIPS over the stock plastic pipe snugly .
it will join two pieces of plastic PCV pipe perfectly . without trouble .
in fact my repaired pipe is still functioning 2 years later , and the hydraulic hose will likely out last my car .
the old chrysler . ford , gm cars mentioned before were only crank case pressure relief to the air cleaner box . not out right manifold vacuum to under the T/B like modern cars . quite a different set up .

Old 06-30-2017, 06:16 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Datsports
.......the old chrysler . ford , gm cars mentioned before were only crank case pressure relief to the air cleaner box . not out right manifold vacuum to under the T/B like modern cars . quite a different set up .

Not necessarily true. My former 1996 Z/28 Camaro had it's PCV valve plumbed directly into the side of the intake manifold.

Old 06-30-2017, 06:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 597 Likes on 473 Posts

Not necessarily true. My former 1996 Z/28 Camaro had it's PCV valve plumbed directly into the side of the intake manifold.
Well it's clear then that I was talking about an earlier era than you ,
Witch would still point out that normal rubber hose will not do !
As your former 1996 Z/28 Camaro would have had vacume proof reinforced pipping . To be able to flow under extreme vacume conditons . If it was infact on vacume side of the TB.
I have fitted oil catch cans to the jag pcv system , and I know what works and what doesn't on these engines from experiance ,

Old 06-30-2017, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,458 Likes on 1,932 Posts

Always some armchair quarterbacks that have zero practical experience telling you to duct tape/bailing wire the repair.

Good luck this is NOT a 1984 Toyota or a Chevy small block!!

Stop creating more problems with a half *** repair. Do it right and do it once!

Old 07-01-2017, 11:04 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Always some armchair quarterbacks that have zero practical experience telling you to duct tape/bailing wire the repair.

Good luck this is NOT a 1984 Toyota or a Chevy small block!!

Stop creating more problems with a half *** repair. Do it right and do it once!

While I'll READILY concede that there's generally no substitute for OE parts, this "armchair quarterback" is also adept at devising temporary repairs, to make a car DRIVEABLE, while OE replacement parts, which sometimes take extended periods of time, are obtained. While a piece of "vacuum hose" may not be pretty, it will keep the expensive car operational, at least for the short term.