XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Wheel Spacers

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 06:39 PM
vs2
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Wheel Spacers

With the standard 20's and 285x30x20's tyres and stock suspension on my XFR I feel that 15-20mm rear spacers would give it a better stance and fill the arch as well.

Has anyone done this with success? Maybe 20mm is better? I have heard with 20's you may experience tramlining?

H&R do a set (15mm)
H&R Trak DRM Series 15mm Wheels Spacer Pair Jaguar XF 08+

This guy posted a warning on the exact same spacer for a XKR. Are the XKR and XFR the same when it comes to wheel studs?
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...rning**-68723/

Old 02-28-2012, 07:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Those are huge spacers. You are just asking for wheel bearing issues. Handling might even be dangerous. The European cars all use positive offset hubcentric wheels and spacers are not a good idea. Tramlining doesn't begin to describe the risks.

Last edited by jagular; 02-28-2012 at 07:56 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:16 PM
vs2

Originally Posted by jagular
Those are huge spacers. You are just asking for wheel bearing issues. Handling might even be dangerous. The European cars all use positive offset hubcentric wheels and spacers are not a good idea. Tramlining doesn't begin to describe the risks.
Thanks Jagular. I always like your comments as they always seem so sensible, allbeit a little critical and with much constructive critisism which I personally don't mind, but in saying that why do all the performance shops offer them if there was any hint of safety or danger...eg.. from our trusty Germans, Arden.

http://shop.arden.de/jaguar/xf/from-...rung-30mm.html

Old 02-28-2012, 11:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 353 Likes on 268 Posts

I have run spaced on my Porsche 911 before with no issue. H&R make good quality units, so go with them.

If they don't work out, you can alway eBay them because spacers seem to resell really well.

Also, not sure about the Jag, but if the wheels are hub centric, make sure you get a hub centric spacer. If the hub size on the spacer is too small, but hub centric rigs on Amazon for a few bucks to make sure the wheel is going on centered. Otherwise, you will likely have wheel vibration.

Oh, and yes, no matter what you want to do with wheels, tires, and suspension, there is always someone that will tell you the car will blow up in the garage if you make those changes.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:03 AM
vs2

Ok I'm just a little confused and really just need to know if anyone has had them on a XF/XFR on 20" wheels with success and what brand and 15mm or 20mm.

Reason because it seems that the spacers for these cars are 'lug'centric and point to possible balance issues amongst other things. I read on this forum that 'Spires' do not recommend them for the XF and I do not know why when H&R, Arden and Paramount etc have and recommend them.

Just want to hear from XF/XFR owners that have them (with 20's) and their comments.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:58 AM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jagular
People have been running spacers for YEARS with no wheel bearing issues, that's an internet myth and has not been proven.

The following users liked this post:
Clovis997 (07-06-2022)
Old 02-29-2012, 05:23 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going to agree with the general consensus that there aren't any safety issues.

Just don't do something like this:

Old 02-29-2012, 07:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 204 Likes on 156 Posts

If you have to use spacers you should swap the studs out for longer studs to compensate for the added spacer thickness. Find a set of studs that can be swapped in. Usually swapping new studs in is pretty easy. I'm not sure I'd do it for aesthetics but people do it all the time. You could get a set of wheels with a different offset and wider width to get get the same look.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member

H&R will make TUV compliant parts, likely. Certainly if they are German market compliant parts they will have to be. The bumf on the web page suggests these are proper fit hubcentric spacers. My comment was intended to draw attention to the fact that 20 mm is a lot, over 3/4 of an inch. Jaguar equips their cars with superb suspension. Wheel offsets are an integral part of that design and jaguar will be careful about the acceptable range of offsets. To know the full effect of spacers you need to add in the wheel offset. If you keep stock wheels then spacers will cause additional wheel bearing loading, suspension loading and handling differences. These are facts, not urban myths. If your aftermarket wheels you are trying to fit using spacers have excessive positive offset then spacers can be useful to restore factory loadings. More often, offset is inadequate on aftermarket wheels to begin with. Then spacers can be downright dangerous.

If you fully understand the suspension on your car so that you can gauge the effects of adding spacers then fine. If you are adding them for cosmetic reasons as you would fancy wheel centers or pinstriping then I say don't.Purely cosmetic improvements have their place. Engineered improvements are another matter entirely. It is very hard to beat the factory boys when they are paying attention. Ask Ferrari about le mans in the 60's ( yeah, I know they were Lola's but Ford built the engines). I think the Germans established their TUV requirements to ensure owner modified junk didnt litter their autobahns with more bodies than they do already.

As for using longer studs you will note that H&R mount their own studs which is the correct way to do this. Longer studs can result in unforeseen tension loads followed by fatigue loading on the studs with potentially lethal consequences. The Germans know this which is another reason it is likely those H&R spacers are TUV approved and therefore at least safe to use.

Last edited by jagular; 02-29-2012 at 09:08 AM.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 204 Likes on 156 Posts

He did say 15mm -20mm spacers. Generally spacers don't include studs unless they are wider than 25.4mm (1 in.). There wouldn't be room for your stock studs and nuts and if you cut them down you aren't getting enough thread into the nut to hold the rim on properly. I think I'd prefer a longer/stronger stud vs hacking down the stock stud and using the studs on the spacer.

Last edited by Blackcoog; 02-29-2012 at 10:38 AM.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:47 PM
vs2

From another thread:
Jaguar wheels are hubcentric and were not designed to accept a matching hubcentric spacer. If you use a spacer, the load will be on the lug bolts (unsafe) instead of the hub (safe). See this informative link: Hubcentric Adapter

This makes sense as you see here:
2011 JAGUAR XFR Parts - Direct JPLV Porsche Parts.com

So it makes sense that those little 'tangs' from the link above is what makes it hubcentric, but a spacer will make it 'lug'centric and will put all the stress on the studs and you may possibly have balance issues.

From 'Spires'
Jaguar alloy wheels are a royal pain in the backside, for a number of reasons.

Jaguar use hub centric fitment on the spigot, this means the spigot does the centralisation and the nuts are flat and not conical. This means that plastic spigot inserts are no good. You can get wheels with conical nuts but you could have them fighting the location of the spigot, actually in this case a plstic spigot insert is better.

Jaguar also use unusually large offsets, biggest in aftermarket is 45mm, the standard Jaguar offset is 49mm. XFR rear offset is 66mm!

Obviously our wheels are machined completely to the OE spec, so correct offset, spigot and nut design. They also take the OE centre cap.

So you need a shopping list of 108mm PCD x 5, offset 45mm, 8.5J or 9J x20" (assuming you want 20"), spigot 63.4mm.

Wouldn't put spacers on a Jag because of the hubcentric spigot, it will make vibration almost inevitable. Our wheels are 9J bs the standard 8.5J so fill the arches better.

So again if this is all true then how could H&R get TUV compliance to sell spacers for the XF/XFR.

Last edited by vs2; 02-29-2012 at 01:54 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member

The link describing hubcentric spacers is good and accurate. Bear in mind that wheel suppliers furnish "spacers" primarily to reduce the center bore of the wheel to fit the hub, I.e they overbore the wheel hub for multiple fitment and then supply a reducer to fit smaller hubs. The actual "spacer" function is sometimes also incorporated into these center bore reducing spacers for correction of offset, again for multiple applications.

Jaguar offsets will be large due to use of wide wheels. Even the 18 inch are 8.5 inches wide which is a lot for a 245 tire. The XFR uses very wide wheels, especially at the rear. To keep th outside faces of the staggered wheels at the same place relative to the fenders front nd rear requires more positive offset at the rear due to the wider wheel.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:35 PM
vs2

Well I'm going to try the H&R 15mm (3035634) It will bring the offset down to 51mm and looking at the backside of the Draco wheel it looks like any protruding stud/nut will fit inside the existing cut-out. If they don't fit/look right or there are balance or tramline issues it is just a 20min job to take them off. After looking at the setup I don't see why these spacers won't 'centre' exactly on the hub.

Way too much conflicting information and sometimes you just need to do and make your own call.

Reaxions (05-23-2012)
Old 05-22-2012, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts

I am still interested in adding 15mm front and 20mm wheel spacers to my XFR on stock wheels and suspension. I have used these on all of my cars and never had 1 issue long as I TQ the lugs properly, and had enough turns on the lugs.
Eibach makes very nice sets now that are hub centric and come with everything you need to get the right stance your looking for. I used 45mm all around on my 2010 Maxima and the kit they gave me looked like wheel adaptors but they were not but rather similiar due to the big space I wanted to provide enough thread to get the lugs to tighten properly.
Can any of you shed more light on this subject? If you seen how this simple, cheap mod adds to looks and handling you would also do it on more cars of your own all the time. It makes the car look more polished and finished.

Reaxions (05-23-2012)
Old 11-16-2012, 02:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pulling up an oldish thread; I've got the 19' Caravela wheels and would consider spacers. Don't think I would need more than 10-15mm spacers - Has any used them and how did it go/which product was used?

Thanks all!

Last edited by SDSmurf; 11-16-2012 at 10:04 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-16-2012, 09:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 139 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Spacer WARNING

I recently (3 months ago ) purchased a set of spacers for my custom 1940 caddy coup from Motor City Bolt on. customerservice@prowheeladaptors.com the Quality was very good but I had problems with one of the studs so I phoned the co about my problem and after a conversation with a salesman I excepted that it could have been my fault so I agreed to pay the shipping for the one stud and nut $15 WOW After two phone calls and 7 e,mails that they do not answer.I guess I will have to have a stud made as there is none at my local store that will fit.I did intend to buy a set of spacers for my 08 xkr but it wont be from this co Buyer Beware BL

Old 11-30-2021, 11:17 AM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Just thought I'd update this since there's a bit of misinformation here. H&R's trak+ offerings in 10mm+ are hubcentric (5mm is not) so there's no concern for out of round. 20mm+ have studs mounted to the plate so you bolt the plate on with their provide nuts and then mount your tire. No modification needed. 10mm requires longer studs installed to the factory hub and are included. 10mm all around is just about perfect for my 2014 XFR. This is subjective of course but 20mm on the back was about 5mm proud.

DeviLSh (11-30-2021)