XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Wheel Spacers Nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 01:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Wheel Spacers Nightmare

Hello Friends,
I' hoping someone can assist me with this issue. I have aftermarket wheels on my 2013 Jag XF. Unfortunately the guys who put on the wheels did not consider that at some point I would have to replace my brake pads. Now that I am at that point, there is absolutely NO clearance between the caliper and the rim. So I have tried H&R Adapters- 15MM. They didnt fit due to the wheel not being able to sit flat against the adapter. I am in search of just a 1/4 in spacer, but they are very hard to find. Any suggestions? I dont want to have to go to 20MM spacers as I think that might be too much, however that would fix the issue I have with the wheel sitting flat against the adapter.

HELP!

Old 02-08-2018, 01:27 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

um.. no. something has to be wrong with the reinstall. The thickness of the new pads should not be a factor in hitting the barrel of the wheel. Unless the barrel is really weird.
Reinstall everything, and then cross torque the nuts with the wheel in the air and check for rubbing. If its still in there you can shave the caliper down a bit with a dremel or sander.

I am assuming you are hitting the spokes of the wheel. Move the caliper around a bit. I just cant see if it fit before, that new pads would make the caliper hit.

Old 02-08-2018, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Kaeghl
um.. no. something has to be wrong with the reinstall. The thickness of the new pads should not be a factor in hitting the barrel of the wheel. Unless the barrel is really weird.
Reinstall everything, and then cross torque the nuts with the wheel in the air and check for rubbing. If its still in there you can shave the caliper down a bit with a dremel or sander.

I am assuming you are hitting the spokes of the wheel. Move the caliper around a bit. I just cant see if it fit before, that new pads would make the caliper hit.
Thanks for the suggestion, but i have reinstalled 6 different times. I've considered that maybe I installed the brakes wrong, but to no avail i come up with the same issue.

Old 02-08-2018, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,232 Likes on 2,386 Posts

It seems very strange that the wheel won't sit flat against a 15 mm H&R adapter/spacer, the back of the wheel (mating face) must be a weird shape indeed. I really struggle to see how the wheel can sit properly flat against the OEM hub but not fit properly on an H&R spacer.
I have changed pads and/or rotors on the 380 mm front brakes many times, and there is no way you can install the pads or calipers "wrong" without it being immediately obvious that things aren't fitting and looking like they should.
You could maybe try a 5 mm flat (non-hubcentric) spacer, heaps out there on Fleabay for not many $. A 3 mm one would be better but I think they are fairly rare, and with the 5 mm one you should have just enough lug thread still showing to get the lug nuts done up properly.

Old 02-08-2018, 11:01 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree with the comments from ozXFR but shouldn't the responsibility for this problem lie with "the guys" that sold you the wheels. Are they the correct type for your vehicle? If not, you should be asking them to come up with a fix.

Old 02-08-2018, 11:10 PM

Thanks everyone, i contacted the guys that sold and installed the wheels. They are 100% at fault and have agreed to either fix or replace the wheels due to their error.